: My car has an alarm?

DiscoDave
02-02-05, 03:29 PM
Apologies in advance if this covers more than what is supposed to be in this forum. Apologies again if this tl,dr.

I parked my 1989 DeVille up against a snowbank on the weekend and had to get out on the right side. When I pressed the lock down manually (it's too stiff on that door to go down with the power) my horn and lights started going off, which I assume is a factory alarm. I have had this car for five months and had no idea it had this feature. I eventually got it to shut off by sticking the key in the door and turning to the lock position.

My questions involve the alarm and security function, but also includes the courtesy lights as they pertain to the front doors, as they seem to be interconnected:

1) Simple question - How do I disable the factory alarm? This car cost me all of $50 and I doubt anyone would want to steal it. I assume there is a relay somewhere for it.

2) On both of my 89 DeVilles, the interior lights do not come on when I open the front doors, but do when I open the back ones. On the current one I drive, if I am in it running, and someone opens the front passenger door, I get a security warning light flashing on the instrument panel. That would lead me to believe that the door switch works, so what is the deal with the interior lights? Is there a fuse / relay that relates to only the front doors on these cars?

Thanks in advance for any help.

youbetcha77
02-02-05, 05:57 PM
I believe on the door switches one wire goes for the courtesy lights and one wire goes for the alarm. Clean the switches real good. On the alarm, if you hit the power door lock button to unlock the doors before you manually use the lock the alarm shouldnt go off.

Blaze

DiscoDave
02-03-05, 09:27 AM
Thanks. I'll have to pull those switches out on the weekend when I get a chance. Is there a relay or fuse that will disable the security altogether without disabling anything else?

youbetcha77
02-03-05, 09:52 AM
Im not sure. I know on Chryslers if you un[;ug the theft module are pull the fuse, the car wont start. They set it up that way in case someone breaks in and tries to unhook it that way they can steal it. The guy at my local dealer said there was a awful lot of people coming in here and there buying the door jamb switches. They are not expensive if you have to get new ones.

Blaze