: 08 CTS Engine Light....

lvdw55
06-12-13, 03:00 PM
I have an '08 CTS, 41,000 miles and engine light came on. All my gauges are good, as far as the temperature, oil, RPM, etc. Can anyone tell me if this maybe just a general maintenace alert? I've never had it come on before and the car seems to be running well. I recently lost my job and cannot run it into the garage, especially if it's just a general maintenance light. I am bothered by the fact that it's never come on before. Your help appreciated and I apologize if I did not post in proper forum.

arw1510
06-12-13, 03:06 PM
a check engine light wouldn't come on as a "general maintenance alert" any aamco, pepboys, autozone, decent garage will hook up a scanner to your car and tell you what the code is for free, and then from there you can decide how much of a hurry it is for you to get it in the garage to be fixed, depending on what the code is. good luck

lvdw55
06-12-13, 03:27 PM
Thanks for quick response! Going to Sears and hopefully they'll do the scan free, if not I'll try one of the stores you mentioned. Much appreciated.

lvdw55
06-12-13, 06:23 PM
NO LUCK! Sears couldn't check it and when I called Pep Boys they want $100 for a diagnostic check. Guy at Sears suggested to take gas cap off and put back on, which I did, but light remains on. He also suggest a fuel injection additive??? I'm lost:hmm: Any other suggestions/help? Thanks

arw1510
06-12-13, 08:29 PM
That's crazy. You could buy a cheap code reader online for less than half of that. I wouldn't bother with the additive. Its probably nothing drastic if you don't feel a difference in the driving. but the range of items the check engine light covers are so varied that you can never tell why its on without looking up the code. and usually the first step with that is to clear the code, and then go back to driving and see if the check engine light comes back on. It could be anything from a misfire, to a faulty sensor somewhere, to poor emissions. I would try some other shops and see what they say. Here in NY all those kind of shops advertise for free check engine light checks, and even if they don't I would hassle with them until they did it. even your little gas station shop should have the tool and be able to tell you what the code is

Tbbt
06-12-13, 08:52 PM
The first thing you should do is to read the Federal Emissions portion of your Owners Manual. Your car should be covered under that Warranty! I would take the car to a Cadillac dealer and have it checked out. It might even be covered under the B2B warranty too. Send a private message to Laura at Cad Cust Service with your VIN number and she can pull up your warranty coverage.

Good Luck, Marv

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-12-13, 09:43 PM
I have an '08 CTS, 41,000 miles and engine light came on. All my gauges are good, as far as the temperature, oil, RPM, etc. Can anyone tell me if this maybe just a general maintenace alert? I've never had it come on before and the car seems to be running well. I recently lost my job and cannot run it into the garage, especially if it's just a general maintenance light. I am bothered by the fact that it's never come on before. Your help appreciated and I apologize if I did not post in proper forum.

Hello lvdw55,

I apologize that your check engine light has illuminated. I would be happy to double check your warranty coverage like Tbbt has stated. If you could just private message me your VIN, I will be able to check that for you. I could also call around and see what the diagnostic fees are for some of the dealerships around you, if you would like. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I will be looking for your message.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

sbudaj
06-12-13, 11:37 PM
I am having the same issue with my 08 CTS. I took it to Meinke where they will check the engine light for free. They said it is an 02 (oxygen) sensor. Car is running perfectly fine. No loss in mileage or any other issues. Dealer says it will cost around $500 to replace. I am not doing anything until it starts to act differently.

wmillar
06-13-13, 09:40 AM
Reset the code by taking the ground of the battery for a few minutes.

sbudaj
06-13-13, 11:23 AM
Reset the code by taking the ground of the battery for a few minutes.

They actually reset the code for me. It went off for a while, but came back on.

lvdw55
06-18-13, 08:09 PM
Sorry for the delay.....and thanks to all for input. I was taking it to AutoZone, where they were going to do a free scan. As I pulled out of the garage and looked, engine light was off. I was relieved and assume it was gas cap. After checking gas cap, the light was still on so I didn't think that was the problem. However, it must have taken some time to reset?? and it went off. Thank you all...greatly appreciated!

C "T" ess
06-19-13, 11:53 AM
Generally after three restarts the light will go off and store the code into the ECM. If the condition reoccurs again it will send another check engine light.

lvdw55
06-22-13, 03:50 PM
It's back! Yes, the engine light is back on after 9 days. I took it to AutoZone and came back with code P0017. Says: 'detected the crank sensor is not alligned with cam sensor'. Probable cause: (1) intermittent connection (2) failed crank or cam sensor (3) engine mechanical condition. Any suggestions? How urgent should I react? Estimate to fix probable cause? Car still seems to be running fine. Also, to correct my orginal post; car has 46,000 miles. Again, your replies are much appreciated. Thanks

Tbbt
06-22-13, 03:53 PM
What did the dealer say about the emissions warranty?

lvdw55
06-22-13, 05:55 PM
I haven't taken it to the dealer, but I did direct message Cadillac Customer Service (see post #7) with my VIN number. I assume this will be my next step. Losing my job really makes things different! I would have just taken it to the dealer.

RAB
06-22-13, 06:35 PM
lvdw55 - let's see.. you have a 2008 CTS with 46,000 miles, the CEL (check engine light) is illuminating and DTC (diagnostic trouble code) "P0017" is being thrown. As has happened to several others here, I bet the issue on your car is with the timing chain - it is stretching.
There's much written about the issue in this forum. No doubt your "5 yr/100,000 mile, whichever comes first" powertrain warranty has expired on your '08, however you'll be happy to know GM has put into place a special/extended warranty for timing chain issues on '07 to '09 model year CTS's. Ref this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-2013-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/261769-letter-gm-re-2008-timing-chain.html
The special warranty lasts for 10 years from the original service date or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first.
As info, rather than tear apart your engine at this time, the dealer, per a GM instruction/directive, may elect to simply reprogram your ECM (engine control module) that will essentially allow a greater amount of timing chain stretch to occur in your engine before a CEL is thrown. This reprogramming may or may not have been already done on your car - there was a recall in 2011 - ref this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-2013-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/222387-2008-cts-timing-chain-recall.html
Whatever they end up doing for you the special warranty should cover it, assuming of course the issue you face is timing chain related.

lvdw55
06-22-13, 07:38 PM
Thanks, RAB. I just looked in my file and I have a letter (no date on it) that states 'Recently, you took your vehicle to your dealer to have Customer Satisfaction Program 10287 perfomed. Your dealer reprogrammed the engine control module to prevent premature wear of the timing chain and the illumination of the Sevice Engine Soon Light. Further analysis has shown that the reprogramming may not fully correct this condition for all vehicles; we, therefore, are providing you with additonal protection for the timing chain.'.....

So does this mean I had the 'supposed' problem corrected?

RAB
06-22-13, 08:07 PM
Thanks, RAB.
--------------------------------
So does this mean I had the 'supposed' problem corrected?

No problem lvdw55.
Well no, it means the reprogramming was performed to allow the car's engine management system to tolerate a greater amount of timing chain wear (stretch). So step 1 in the process, reprogramming the ECM, has already been performed. As was mentioned in the letter you received, "Further analysis has shown that the reprogramming may not fully correct this condition for all vehicles; we, therefore, are providing you with additional protection for the timing chain.".....
It is possible that your engine timing chain needs to be replaced, assuming of course the core issue you face is with the timing chain.

Here's some general info regarding DTC P0017:

Symptoms of a P0017 will or may include:
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination (i.e. CEL)
- The engine may run but with reduced performance
- The engine may crank but not start
- The engine may exhibit a rattle near the harmonic balancer indicating the tone ring is damaged
- The engine may start and run, but poorly

Causes of a P0017 may include:
- Timing chain stretched, or timing belt skipped a tooth due to wear
- Misalignment of timing belt/chain
- Tone ring on crankshaft slipped/broken
- Tone ring on camshaft slipped/broken
- Bad crank sensor
- Bad cam sensor
- Damaged wiring to crank/cam sensor
- Timing belt/chain tensioner damaged
- An improperly torqued crankshaft balancer
- A mis-built or mis-timed engine
- A loose or missing crankshaft balancer bolt
- The CMP actuator solenoid stuck open
- The CMP actuator stuck in a position other than 0 degrees

lvdw55
06-22-13, 08:28 PM
Again, much thanks RAB. I did get a direct reply back from the Customer Service gentleman I replied to with my VIN. My emmissions is still under warranty and several other things. I am clueless to the mechanics of an automobile! Looks like I'll have to take it into the dealer. Hard to imagine anything major, since car is running well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

lvdw55
06-23-13, 02:42 PM
ENGINE LIGHT NO LONGER ON! Let's see how long it stays off. Sure is puzzling:confused:.

hax
06-27-13, 09:20 AM
I've got a P0017 on my 08 CTS with 60000km (33,000 miles). Do anybody know if this extended timing chain warranty applies to Europe as well (I'm in Sweden)?

C "T" ess
06-27-13, 10:32 AM
Just because the CEL is no longer displaying the code it is most likely still there. After three restarts the CEL resets and the code is no longer displayed. There are two types of codes, hard codes and soft codes. The hard codes like yours stay in the ECM or BCM and can be pulled by the dealer for further inspection. Soft codes are one time events that usually do not effect the operation of the car and may or may not store. I recently asked to have the codes cleared from my ECM as I had had two warnings. The dealer found three codes stored, none of which applied to anything requiring repair. There was even a code for power seat memory and I don't even have memory seats. The point is that it appears it will be covered, so take it in and have whatever it is repaired. It's better than getting stranded somewhere.

lvdw55
06-27-13, 06:52 PM
Just because the CEL is no longer displaying the code it is most likely still there. After three restarts the CEL resets and the code is no longer displayed. There are two types of codes, hard codes and soft codes. The hard codes like yours stay in the ECM or BCM and can be pulled by the dealer for further inspection. Soft codes are one time events that usually do not effect the operation of the car and may or may not store. I recently asked to have the codes cleared from my ECM as I had had two warnings. The dealer found three codes stored, none of which applied to anything requiring repair. There was even a code for power seat memory and I don't even have memory seats. The point is that it appears it will be covered, so take it in and have whatever it is repaired. It's better than getting stranded somewhere.

Thanks....you're right, the light is back ON! Seems like I have no alternative but to take it in.:helpless:

Thanks for your post.

lvdw55
07-03-13, 03:36 PM
I've got a P0017 on my 08 CTS with 60000km (33,000 miles). Do anybody know if this extended timing chain warranty applies to Europe as well (I'm in Sweden)?

That's what I'm dealing with now, hax. I had the same code and light would go off and then come back on. I'm going to have to take it

On way to garage... Hope I don't get ripped!

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-03-13, 05:56 PM
That's what I'm dealing with now, hax. I had the same code and light would go off and then come back on. I'm going to have to take it

On way to garage... Hope I don't get ripped!
Hello lvdw55,

Please keep us updated on the situation and if you need any further assistance in working with the dealership, please be sure to private message us back. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

lvdw55
07-03-13, 06:36 PM
Hello lvdw55,

Please keep us updated on the situation and if you need any further assistance in working with the dealership, please be sure to private message us back. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Thanks, Greg.....dropped it off and they were kind to give me a loaner to use until something's known.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-03-13, 08:08 PM
Hello lvdw55,

I am happy to hear that you received a loaner vehicle! What vehicle did they loan you? Thank you for keeping us updated!

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

lvdw55
07-03-13, 08:45 PM
Hello lvdw55,

I am happy to hear that you received a loaner vehicle! What vehicle did they loan you? Thank you for keeping us updated!

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

A beautiful, 2013, Black, CTS. It's a 'sweet' ride! Love it!!! Might not give it back.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-03-13, 11:10 PM
A beautiful, 2013, Black, CTS. It's a 'sweet' ride! Love it!!! Might not give it back.

Sounds like a great vehicle! I hope you enjoy driving it around. I will be looking for your future updates. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post!

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

lvdw55
07-08-13, 07:30 PM
Just brought my car home and happy as a pig in mud! THANK YOU Laura, Gregory, and Reggie at Cadillac Customer Service and CADILLAC OF LAS VEGAS, WEST, notably Mr. Ellis. From start, with the loaner, to finish, COMPLETE satisfaction thus far. I must say I was mostly thinking this was going to be an expensive, very negative experience, but completely to the contrary. Oh, I forget to mention....it was the timing chain and NO out of pocket expense to me. THANKS to all that posted here with helpful information and, again, the above mentioned. CADILLAC ROCKS! The loaner has me thinking.....it was nice! Loved the Black Diamond color. Swore I'd never own another black car here in the desert. Had one previously and was difficult to keep clean (definitely not nice if they're not kept clean). Not only from the dust, but the water spots 'baking' in the paint from the extreme sun.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-09-13, 01:33 PM
Just brought my car home and happy as a pig in mud! THANK YOU Laura, Gregory, and Reggie at Cadillac Customer Service and CADILLAC OF LAS VEGAS, WEST, notably Mr. Ellis. From start, with the loaner, to finish, COMPLETE satisfaction thus far. I must say I was mostly thinking this was going to be an expensive, very negative experience, but completely to the contrary. Oh, I forget to mention....it was the timing chain and NO out of pocket expense to me. THANKS to all that posted here with helpful information and, again, the above mentioned. CADILLAC ROCKS! The loaner has me thinking.....it was nice! Loved the Black Diamond color. Swore I'd never own another black car here in the desert. Had one previously and was difficult to keep clean (definitely not nice if they're not kept clean). Not only from the dust, but the water spots 'baking' in the paint from the extreme sun.

Hello Don,

We are just as happy for you! Thanks for shouting out to our team who assisted you throughout this process. Very glad to hear you were so satisfied with the customer service at the dealership and everything worked out for you :) You know how to contact us if there are ever any other questions or concerns you may have.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

Trailmug
11-11-13, 01:55 PM
I just got done with dealing with timing chain related issues on my 08 DI CTS. I noticed one day near the end of my commute that the engine was significantly down on power. I thought perhaps I was imagining things, but the next morning, P0008 set. I drove the car to work and on an errand or two, and by the time I got back home, the light had gone out. I read on the forum that a dealer had told another CTS owner that the light would have to be illuminated (hard code set) for warranty work. The code cleared itself from history, and I drove for roughly another week, with a few pending P0008 codes and associated loss-of-power events occurring.. but no light. I waited until the light came on again, and drove straight to the dealership on that key cycle. The service tech took down my description, and verified that the CEL was on.

The dealership called me the next day, and informed me that the timing chains needed replacement. I was asked for my aftermarket warranty information. I told the SA that I was reasonably sure that GM special warranty coverage applied to the repair. He said he would do research and call me back. Upon calling back, the SA confirmed my special warranty entitlement, and estimated 3 business days for the repair.

I got the car back in the time promised, and everything seemed normal. Pleasantly, the rather noticeable rough idle (warm, 550-600RPM) I had been dealing with since I bought it at 34k miles (and for which I'd taken the car in for service, resulting in a $99 no-fault-found diag charge) was completely cured. It now idles as well as any V6 I can remember driving, especially given its low idle speed. After taking it easy for a few miles, the car seemed somewhat sluggish off the line, and I wondered if this might be related to any reprogramming related to the timing chain fixes GM has been trying. (Another thread complained of lack of launch power after the recall reprogramming.) I think perhaps that was related to insufficient fuel and/or knock learn time, as with my next tank of gas, the car has never run better.

Based on my experience, cars with notably rough idle may need future timing chain replacement.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-12-13, 01:48 PM
I just got done with dealing with timing chain related issues on my 08 DI CTS. I noticed one day near the end of my commute that the engine was significantly down on power. I thought perhaps I was imagining things, but the next morning, P0008 set. I drove the car to work and on an errand or two, and by the time I got back home, the light had gone out. I read on the forum that a dealer had told another CTS owner that the light would have to be illuminated (hard code set) for warranty work. The code cleared itself from history, and I drove for roughly another week, with a few pending P0008 codes and associated loss-of-power events occurring.. but no light. I waited until the light came on again, and drove straight to the dealership on that key cycle. The service tech took down my description, and verified that the CEL was on.

The dealership called me the next day, and informed me that the timing chains needed replacement. I was asked for my aftermarket warranty information. I told the SA that I was reasonably sure that GM special warranty coverage applied to the repair. He said he would do research and call me back. Upon calling back, the SA confirmed my special warranty entitlement, and estimated 3 business days for the repair.

I got the car back in the time promised, and everything seemed normal. Pleasantly, the rather noticeable rough idle (warm, 550-600RPM) I had been dealing with since I bought it at 34k miles (and for which I'd taken the car in for service, resulting in a $99 no-fault-found diag charge) was completely cured. It now idles as well as any V6 I can remember driving, especially given its low idle speed. After taking it easy for a few miles, the car seemed somewhat sluggish off the line, and I wondered if this might be related to any reprogramming related to the timing chain fixes GM has been trying. (Another thread complained of lack of launch power after the recall reprogramming.) I think perhaps that was related to insufficient fuel and/or knock learn time, as with my next tank of gas, the car has never run better.

Based on my experience, cars with notably rough idle may need future timing chain replacement.
Hello Trailmug,

Thank you very much for posting your experience with your timing chain issue with your CTS. I am glad to hear that this repair addressed your issues and that your issue was covered under the timing chain special coverage. Please feel free to reach out to us via private message or by email at socialmedia@gm.com if you have any further questions or concerns.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care