: Carfax question

1toycad
02-02-05, 01:47 PM
As you probably know (if you read my other thread) I am in the market for a used car for my daughter. I want to be able to use CARFAX to check out the cars. I have a couple of questions about CARFAX.

1. Is CARFAX any good at all? Will CARFAX allow me to uncover defects/problems in the cars that we are looking at?

2. The search/buy process may take a couple of months (I am in no hurry to see my auto insurance rates go sky high). The "unlimited" CARFAX service offered by CARFAX is good for only 30 days. At the end of the 30 days you have to wait another 6 months before buying another "unlimited" 30 days of the service. Is there any way of getting around this?

I'd apprecaite your response. Thanks.

Kev
02-02-05, 02:04 PM
I used Carfax once, checked on the 3 cars I have listed above. I was not impressed. The info I got was vague and incomplete. I won't waste my money on it again. I think it would be better to find a car from private sale with good maintainance records, hopefully mostly lof etc. and not major repairs. Just my opinion.

Kev

Playdrv4me
02-02-05, 07:31 PM
It depends on what you want it for. If you want to be able to determine possibly how many owners the vehicle has had, where its been and what its current title status is, its generally good for that because its straight off the title work. The problem is, alot of times thats usually ALL you get. The issue comes when people put TOO much faith in it. In other words, they expect it to be the end all be all of accidents and what not, and big surprise, many times the accidents ARENT reported to the insurance company AT ALL. If they arent reported, they dont dont get on Carfax or anywhere for that matter, so the best thing to do, is to hire an independent agent once your fairly certain of the car you want, and pay them a nominal amount (usually around 80.00) to come and inspect the vehicle. They will check the body panels, frame fitment, engine condition interior condition and give you a 100 percent report on what they find wrong with the car right there on the dealers lot. Its much more thorough and complete than a simple carfax.

www.autocheck.com by experian is another useful one, that may not have the limitation that carfax does.

Kev
02-02-05, 07:43 PM
It depends on what you want it for. If you want to be able to determine possibly how many owners the vehicle has had, where its been and what its current title status is, its generally good for that because its straight off the title work. The problem is, alot of times thats usually ALL you get. The issue comes when people put TOO much faith in it. In other words, they expect it to be the end all be all of accidents and what not, and big surprise, many times the accidents ARENT reported to the insurance company AT ALL. If they arent reported, they dont dont get on Carfax or anywhere for that matter, so the best thing to do, is to hire an independent agent once your fairly certain of the car you want, and pay them a nominal amount (usually around 80.00) to come and inspect the vehicle. They will check the body panels, frame fitment, engine condition interior condition and give you a 100 percent report on what they find wrong with the car right there on the dealers lot. Its much more thorough and complete than a simple carfax.

www.autocheck.com (http://www.autocheck.com) by experian is another useful one, that may not have the limitation that carfax does.
:yeah:
Put the Carfax money toward the indepenent inspection fee once you've found a potential candidate. I think it would be a better value for your money.

Kev

BeelzeBob
02-02-05, 07:47 PM
I use carfax.com and autocheck.com.. It's better to know Something than Nothing...