: #2 Key FOB Memory

vrodguy08
06-12-13, 11:55 AM
I recently purchased a 2006 Cadillac STS. The problem I am having is getting the #2 FOB to work for the memory settings for the seat etc. #1 works 100% but for the life of me I can not get #2 to work. If you press the driver2 in the Nav system all settings that I programmed into it will function. I have replaced the batteries and no change.

I am at a loss and getting frustrated.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1crock
06-12-13, 01:40 PM
It might be programmed as #3 or #4 in which case it won't work. I reckon reprogramming may be in order.

vrodguy08
06-12-13, 02:04 PM
It might be programmed as #3 or #4 in which case it won't work. I reckon reprogramming may be in order.

Assume this needs to be done by the dealer?

Ludacrisvp
06-12-13, 02:52 PM
no, there is a post in the sticky that tells you how to reprogram them.

Basically you need a metal key and some spare time.

vrodguy08
06-12-13, 03:06 PM
no, there is a post in the sticky that tells you how to reprogram them.

Basically you need a metal key and some spare time.

Hate to be a pain but I can not find the sticky?
Sorry.

Never mind found it.

EChas3
06-12-13, 09:04 PM
The Canadian government gave their Cadillac dealers a repeat business program. Owners of those cars will need to take them to someone with a Tech II to reprogram fobs from scratch.

For the rest of us, just leave all the fob's far away when you start the procedure and go get each one when it's requested and do not skip steps.

vrodguy08
06-13-13, 10:57 AM
The Canadian government gave their Cadillac dealers a repeat business program. Owners of those cars will need to take them to someone with a Tech II to reprogram fobs from scratch.

For the rest of us, just leave all the fob's far away when you start the procedure and go get each one when it's requested and do not skip steps.

At the dealer right now getting done.

vrodguy08
06-13-13, 02:34 PM
Ok so car spent the morning at the dealer for...nothing.

I live in Canada and this car was brought up from the USA. Dealer here tells that if they wipe out the fobs and try and re program the car may not be able to start. They claim the programming between Canada and the USA is different. So for now FOB #1 works 100% FOB #2 only starts the car and unlocks the doors. The memory recall and command start portion is non operable on FOB #2

Wondering if anyone else has had this same problem?

Guy.Seminerio
06-13-13, 04:48 PM
So it's a US car. Reprogram the fobs in accordance with the directions in the manual or up in the sticky like previous members have said. You can do it yourself.

vrodguy08
06-13-13, 05:00 PM
So it's a US car. Reprogram the fobs in accordance with the directions in the manual or up in the sticky like previous members have said. You can do it yourself.

Ok so I faxed those direction to the dealer. The dealer here claims they spoke to a tech in the states and advised that if this does not work and wipes out all the fobs and then does not take the reprogramming there will be no way to start the car? I am now scared to try it.
I guess the fob programming used in the US cars is different from the one used in Canadian shipped cars. And the dealers in Canada can not get or use the American programming.

ddgm
06-13-13, 08:07 PM
Ok so I faxed those direction to the dealer. The dealer here claims they spoke to a tech in the states and advised that if this does not work and wipes out all the fobs and then does not take the reprogramming there will be no way to start the car? I am now scared to try it.
I guess the fob programming used in the US cars is different from the one used in Canadian shipped cars. And the dealers in Canada can not get or use the American programming.
Where are you located?

vrodguy08
06-13-13, 08:32 PM
Where are you located?

Sk Canada....why?

ddgm
06-13-13, 08:56 PM
Just wondering if you were near the border, a phone call and day trip may solve your problems. You should be able to reprogram the #2 fob according to the manual. Did you try it?

Doug

EChas3
06-13-13, 09:14 PM
I've done both cars a few times.

Soone after I got mine (it was #2) I decided to test if I could make 1 fob work with both cars. That answer is no. The matching procedure changes both the fob and the car.

If yours is a car built for the US and your fob part numbers match my recent post to a fellow that bought a repo, you will not have an issue. I fear your dealer is feeding you BS or was speaking to the source of that BS.

vrodguy08
06-13-13, 09:58 PM
I've done both cars a few times.

Soone after I got mine (it was #2) I decided to test if I could make 1 fob work with both cars. That answer is no. The matching procedure changes both the fob and the car.

If yours is a car built for the US and your fob part numbers match my recent post to a fellow that bought a repo, you will not have an issue. I fear your dealer is feeding you BS or was speaking to the source of that BS.

Do you have the link to that post?

EChas3
06-13-13, 10:19 PM
Just go back a page or two. Repo is in his title. You can't miss it.

REGGAEX
06-18-13, 06:21 AM
had same problem as you found the post about programing fob did not have any problems both 1 and 2 work perfect.Will not make it so your car will not start.

vrodguy08
06-19-13, 05:24 PM
hahaha This story just keeps getting better and better. So I filed a complaint with GM Canada in regards to this issue. The guy from GM Canada calls me back and says I would have to buy 2 new FOBS because there is a difference between Canada and the USA. I said ok prove to me that the FOBS used in a USA destined Caddy are a different part number then the ones used in a Canadian destined Caddy. He was speechless. I also said why is it I had to pay my local dealer to learn that there is a possible problem re programming fobs between Canada and USA. Now according to this guy at GM Canada GM technicians in the USA have discovered there is a known programming issue with these vehicles going from one country to another. So to him I said ok if this is a known issue then why did my dealer charge me to tell me this? Should there not of been a bulletin that went out on this years ago? Should my local dealer of not seen that when they enter the VIN # into there system?
What a load of horse manure.

TERRIBLE GM CUSTOMER SERVICE

EChas3
06-19-13, 08:14 PM
I've been active here for more than four years and enjoy reading posts from members to the North. None have reported the owners manual being wrong; just a bit hard to understand.

You're getting a run-around. Just like you did before, be patient. Ask logical quesstions. Make them match your fobs for free if it's worth it to you.

Alternatively, with a US market car, you can do it yourself if you want!

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-20-13, 04:04 PM
hahaha This story just keeps getting better and better. So I filed a complaint with GM Canada in regards to this issue. The guy from GM Canada calls me back and says I would have to buy 2 new FOBS because there is a difference between Canada and the USA. I said ok prove to me that the FOBS used in a USA destined Caddy are a different part number then the ones used in a Canadian destined Caddy. He was speechless. I also said why is it I had to pay my local dealer to learn that there is a possible problem re programming fobs between Canada and USA. Now according to this guy at GM Canada GM technicians in the USA have discovered there is a known programming issue with these vehicles going from one country to another. So to him I said ok if this is a known issue then why did my dealer charge me to tell me this? Should there not of been a bulletin that went out on this years ago? Should my local dealer of not seen that when they enter the VIN # into there system?
What a load of horse manure.

TERRIBLE GM CUSTOMER SERVICE

Hello vrodguy08,

I apologize about your experience you have had with our customer care team in Canada, as well as the key fob issue you are having with your STS. Even though we are a US based team, I would like to document your concerns you have had and send them along to the right team within our organization. Could you please private message me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage and dealership you have been working with? Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care