: Best redneck fixes . . . . .

Aron9000
06-12-13, 09:31 AM
A good friend inspired this thread.

He has a 1994ish F150 longbed, reg cab truck he inherited from his uncle. It has the big straight six motor, automatic, nicely optioned truck with all the power options, two tone gray. Anyways, this truck had been giving him some grief for the past few months, down on power, generally running like crap. He finally diagnosed it as a bad cat converter. The exhaust was pretty rusty anyways, so he decided it was time to replace all of it.

Now that he is flat broke at this time, plus this is just a second vehicle he uses to haul band gear in since it has a nice waterproof, lockable bed camper/cap thing on it. He has a Toyota Celica that he usually drives because it gets three times the gas mileage of this truck.

Anyways, his fix for all this exhaust mess was to buy some galvanized fence post. You know, the stuff you use for chain link fence. I am not going to hate on his logic, this stuff will not rust, its cheap, and with a bit of fab skill it makes a great exhaust.

He showed up to work last week with just a straight pipe of fence post, no muffler, no cat converter. His truck sounded like a seriously pissed off tractor. The truck was running just great but the noise was driving him insane. Couple days later he pulled up, had a muffler fabbed into his fence post exhaust, the truck was almost as quiet as stock.

IMO that is a great fix for an old truck with 200k miles on it that doesn't have to pass emissions and is worth maybe $3,000 on a good day when its running right.

Stingroo
06-12-13, 10:18 AM
...I laughed.

But then I thought about it.

That's rather commendable. lololol

Ranger
06-12-13, 11:18 AM
I'd have to say that fence post as an exhaust pipe would definitely qualify as a redneck repair.

This isn't him, is it?
http://www.stangbangers.com/Redneck_RoadsideAutoRepair.jpg

The-Dullahan
06-12-13, 11:44 AM
Best one I've got ir that my half brother's FWD Cutlass needs tyre chucks if you lift the front wheels off of the ground. He uses a pair of stock valve comers from a 1970 Eldorado for this purpose.

The exhaust thing is clever though. Maybe not a good idea...but clever.

EcSTSatic
06-12-13, 12:19 PM
'best' and redneck' should not be used in the same sentence :canttalk:

cadillac kevin
06-12-13, 02:52 PM
Once, someone dropped off a 1970 mustang convertible at my mechanics to get it inspected (buyer was from several states away and the seller was from rural MO. Transaction was through ebay). The car had a fencepost holding up the front seats because there was literally no floor left in the car. The engine also had bailing wire on the carb linkage (it wouldn't run).
It also had about 200 pounds of bondo on it (mechanic took of one of the interior door panels to see why the window didn't work and the door had been crushed in several inches (no wonder the window didn't go down!) and was filled with bondo, as were the front fenders and the quarters). The buyer refused to take it, and the seller peeled out as soon as they got it off the trailer, so it sat on my mechanics lot for months until he had it hauled off to the scrapyard.

Submariner409
06-12-13, 06:10 PM
Too bad that nobody has seen all the redneck repairs in these forums over the years - hundreds of them.

You might want to find the "There I fixed it" site.

Here's my CAI install - like almost all so-called "CAI" boxes it's good for about 2.66 hp at idle..........................

cadillac kevin
06-12-13, 06:33 PM
Too bad that nobody has seen all the redneck repairs in these forums over the years - hundreds of them.

You might want to find the "There I fixed it" site.

Here's my CAI install - like almost all so-called "CAI" boxes it's good for about 2.66 hp at idle..........................

LOL

I prefer the redneck lid flip....it might give you a couple extra hp....maybe....in winter. On the plus side, it makes the engine much louder and best of all it's free. :)

Submariner409
06-12-13, 06:55 PM
Here's the fix for the chronic HVAC actuator stepper faults ......... defroster piping ...........

Now find the one of the Lincoln with a 5,000 BTU 115VAC air conditioner in the RR window - and a 4 kW gas powered generator bolted to the trunk lid.

The-Dullahan
06-12-13, 08:38 PM
I have seen both of this last photos and the AC rig you speak of. What is scary is that I have seen more dubious improvised parts used on cars in my like.