: Ok, tell me; just how much performance does the V really have ?

DaveSRX
02-02-05, 09:35 AM
I currently own a 2004 SRX, which I love, but have been thinking of getting a CTS-V, as I miss having a fast car. Just how awesome is the CTS-V ? For a frame of reference my last fast car was a 2001 Z06, which I thought was pretty awesome. I have owned several late model Vettes prior to the Z as well.

How does the V compare to say a C5 or a C5 Z ? Convince me to buy one. :)

joshdctsv
02-02-05, 09:40 AM
I currently own a 2004 SRX, which I love, but have been thinking of getting a CTS-V, as I miss having a fast car. Just how awesome is the CTS-V ? For a frame of reference my last fast car was a 2001 Z06, which I thought was pretty awesome. I have owned several late model Vettes prior to the Z as well.

How does the V compare to say a C5 or a C5 Z ? Convince me to buy one. :)

I traded my 01 Z06 for the V. It's certainly not a Z06, but about as close as your going to get in a 4-door sedan. We wont be able to convince you here. The best way to understand is to go test drive it. I made an offer that day.

DaveSRX
02-02-05, 09:47 AM
Why did you trade your Z for a V ? I now have 2 small children so that is why I reluctantly gave up the Vette. I got the SRX thinking that I needed it to get through the snow here in Pa, but miss having a great performing vehicle.

Would you say the accelleration feel is on par with a base C5 ? How about the braking and handling compared to your Z ? (I know the Z is gonna be better, just wondering how much of a drop off with a sedan).

I guess I do need to just go test drive one. :banghead:

CTSV05
02-02-05, 09:49 AM
I agree, not on the level of a Z06, but definitely will hold its own with a C5!

Now I have not had the pleasure of owning many Top-Notch cars.

But I have driven a few, and the V is an awesome car to live with on a daily basis.

Its like the beautiful, demure, Valadictorian, who you would never supect to even kiss....UNTILL YOU GET HER IN BED AND SHE'S AN ANIMAL!!!!!!!

Or in the Vs case, mash the gas!!!LOL!!

lasstss
02-02-05, 09:57 AM
A friend of mine has a C-5. We were at summit point doing a few laps. I had my V right behind him the whole time both on the straights and in the turns. (He started ahead of me)
If given the opprotunity, I believe I could have passed him on the straights but he was throwing too much gravel and I backed off.
The v has a lot of torque and holds it thru the rpm range.

DaveSRX
02-02-05, 10:07 AM
That is impressive that you stayed with the lighter C5 on the track. I am also concerned that the V will feel heavy, as it does weigh 3850lbs...

I also like the fact that the LS6 can be modded unlike the Northstar in my SRX.

Are alot of people out their doing heads/cam or superchargers for their V's ?

Vrocks
02-02-05, 10:32 AM
My previous car was a C5 and here's what I noticed when switching to the V:

The power and acceleration actually feels stronger in the V, although, the 1/4mi numbers suggest the cars are the same.

The steering feels more precise, this was the first thing I noticed when I drove the V. In fact, it's the best feeling steering in any car that I driven since a 997tt.

The brake pedal feels a lot better than my regular C5's did. It has a nice and solid feeling, similar to what a Porsche offers.

If you liked the Z06's firm ride, you may want to consider the FG2 (it's a dealer installed shock package). Of course, the regular suspension isn't soft by any means. I consider myself to be someone that corners aggressively with my V, and it feels better than the C5 did. It's a more progressive car at the limit, where my C5 would snap the tail out, the V calmly slides away.

The V definitely tracks better on the highways. The narrower tires probably have something to do with this. [245's Vs. 265's up front and 285's in rear for the C5??, I don't really remember].

Definitely stop by one of your local dealers and go for a test drive. Now's a great time to look for a new V in PA, for a couple of reasons: 1. You can get a good deal on an '05 V due to the slower sales of RWD performance cars during winter months, 2. The '06's wont be out until August, so it's value wont be hurt by a new model year.

PneuBird
02-02-05, 10:46 AM
I tell everyone "It's my Caddy with balls!!!" :coolgleam

MRR
02-02-05, 10:57 AM
I have owned 6 C5s, (2 Verts, 1 2003 Z06, 3 Cps). Four of the six had 6spds. I traded a 2004 6spd CE Vert. for my V, and I am very happy I did. The V handles as good, and is fast as the C5s except the Z06. The 3.73 gears keeps the LS6 in the power and torque curves. It's the most fun I have had with any car I've owned, and I have owned a bunch of them. It's a four door luxury sports car, but it is not a Corvette. It does not have the history the Corvette has. There are no Magazines devoted to the CTS-V, no CTS-V car clubs etc. But it is one he** of a car.

MRR

Dooman
02-02-05, 11:03 AM
Does anyone here think it is overpriced?

trekster
02-02-05, 11:10 AM
Does anyone here think it is overpriced?
hell no!
0-60 in under 5 seconds
13.1 1/4 mile time
4 door luxury sedan with navigation,sunroof,heated seats, etc.
400hp 5.7l V8 ls6
and more
All for 50k!!
Audi has the Rs6 and Bmw has the M5 and they cost over 80k each!!!

IndyV05
02-02-05, 11:39 AM
Beast, your red calipers, did you paint them yourself or are they powder coated? And if you painted them yourself, did you use brush on paint or caliper spray paint?

ta206
02-02-05, 12:03 PM
I also traded a C5 (01 6spd coupe) for my V. My wife has an 02 WS6 T/A and we really needed a "family car". The V is every bit the car that my Vette was, only with 4 doors and room for 4 adults to sit comfortably. I don't miss the Vette at all.

leap229
02-02-05, 12:13 PM
I've had two C5s '01 and '03, and now a V. I'm glad I did the V instead of waiting for a C6. The car feels great, pulls strong and imo has nearly as much performance capability as the C5s. The C6 may be a better performer, but the V in comparison to C5s, not so much.

I also traded an SRX for the V, and inspite of losing AWD will never look back on that decision.

gothicaleigh
02-02-05, 12:24 PM
I think this speaks volumes as to it's performance capabilities:

Nurburgring Lap Times of Notable Stock Cars

Porsche Carrera GT: 7.32
Chevrolet Corvette Z06: 7.56
Lamborghini Diablo SV: 8.09
Ferrari 360 Modena: 8.09
Porsche 993 Turbo: 8.12
BMW Z8: 8.15
Cadillac CTS-V: 8.19
BMW M3: 8.22
BMW M5: 8.28
Honda NSX: 8.38
Honda S2000: 8.39
Chevrolet C5 Corvette: 8.40

DaveSRX
02-02-05, 01:15 PM
Excellent replies ! Just was I was hoping to hear. Thoughts from some ex-C5 owners etc. Now I have a frame of reference. I must go drive one! :sneaky:

DaveSRX
02-02-05, 01:34 PM
VROCKS,

Where at in Pa are you located ? I am in the Harrisburg area.

trekster
02-02-05, 02:11 PM
Beast, your red calipers, did you paint them yourself or are they powder coated? And if you painted them yourself, did you use brush on paint or caliper spray paint? I just used caliper spray paint.

Vrocks
02-02-05, 03:14 PM
VROCKS,

Where at in Pa are you located ? I am in the Harrisburg area.

I'm just outside of Philadelphia.

CTSV05
02-02-05, 05:30 PM
Gothicaleigh,

Thanx for that info, hell I'm more impressed than I was before!!!

We absolutely love our V, I can't think of a better way to spend around $50,000.00 on a car at least.

IndyV05
02-02-05, 05:41 PM
Thanks Beast.