: Conan vs. Leno vs. Letterman

Playdrv4me
02-02-05, 02:12 AM
I havent heard this talked about here in a while or..ever. I really have always liked Conan O'Brien, hes the only late night guy that I can watch with regularity I never get tired of. What do you guys think? I think hes FAR better than the other two, and its partially because he pokes at himself and has an absolute way with the camera. Hes histerical sometimes.

Personally, if any of the three could even come close to Johnny it would be him. (And he is slated to take over Leno's spot in 2009)

Ralph
02-02-05, 02:45 AM
Nothing beats Leno's monologue imo and I never get tired of it. I find Conan a bit annoying but he's funny in the end. I stopped watching Letterman in the mid 1990's but have watched him since the early 1980's. I like Letterman the least.

I thought that show with Conan in a Mounte uniform was funny at the Detroit-Windsor border.

Playdrv4me
02-02-05, 02:53 AM
Hmm... I do agree, Leno's monologue is great, I dunno though, after awhile I just get "full" of Leno, something that never happens with Conan for me. He always seems fresh to me. One thing that Leno has I HAVE ALWAYS loved, is the HEADLINES segment, pure hilarity, and its REAL! Conan has a take off but its not that funny cause its all madeup.

Ralph
02-02-05, 03:01 AM
I guess my problem with Conan is that I just don't know anything about him??!! What did he do before he was on network television? Was he a comedian? There seem to be so many new fly by nite talk show hosts I can't keep up anymore and have lost interest in trying.

Kev
02-02-05, 03:02 AM
Hes histerical sometimes.
They have doctors for that.

Kev

Playdrv4me
02-02-05, 03:04 AM
Conan's story is pretty cool. I think the fact that he really came out of no where is part of whats cool about him. He had writing stints on SNL in the mid to late eighties. In the early nineties he went to work as a writer for The Simpsons (he was talking about Johnnie tonight and mentioned he visited their set). He guest hosted for Letterman a couple of times when he was still on NBC if im not mistaken.

When Letterman left NBC in 1993, the head of NBC called upon then writer Conan to look for a new guy to plug a hole in the NBC Late Night schedule. After not coming up with anyone, he decided he had to do it himself. No one expected the show to last and it was more of a stop-gap measure. He says he was terrified when he started, but slowly and progressively his audience grew and hes been on 11 years now.

davesdeville
02-02-05, 03:38 AM
Conan is the best. I hope they don't make him tone it down when he moves to an earlier time slot. He needs to get out there and drive that desk around more, that's the funniest bit ever.

Oh yeah, Craig Ferguson is pretty funny too. He's the Scottish guy who took over Kilborns spot on the late late show.

Playdrv4me
02-02-05, 03:48 AM
Yea Ferguson is pretty funny, though I liked him more in Drew Carey. Kilborn I could only stomach so much of, though he had his own raspy personality too. Never cared much for Kimmel.

Ill tell you, some of the off the wall stuff Conan does just never gets old. The drop down monitor people are pretty funny to downright Hilarious, especially when its Bush or Kerry. The "Walker Texas Ranger" pull lever is just so downright stupid I crack up every time.

Jesda
02-02-05, 06:32 AM
Conan is always funny. Letterman has a gritty charm. Leno is a bit too polished for my liking -- while his humor is good he lacks a bit in delivery.

BUILDINGCTSAMG
02-02-05, 09:15 AM
I love jay lenos mono....but IMHO nothing beats jon stewart right now

Sandy
02-02-05, 10:10 AM
1. Leno
2. Jon Stewart
3. Dennis Milller
4. Conan
5. Letterman

CoupeDevilleRob
02-02-05, 12:01 PM
I like Conan the best, his show is the most warped and demented of all of them. You can't beat the characters he has, like Vomitting Kermit, the Masturbating Bear and of course Triumph.

RBraczyk
02-02-05, 12:25 PM
Jay leno sucks. Conan and J stewart are better.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-02-05, 01:08 PM
im a letterman type myself .....he has been a staple of hoosiers for decades ..he used to be the weatherman in indy ...way before his deal at nbc ....

watched craig fergeson last night ...is it me or has that show went thru like 10 diffrent hosts in the past 6 months ?

Conan is like garlic bolonga to me ....about once a year i think "oh yah that sounds good" ....i get thru about half of it and enjoy most of it .....then i get tired of it ....and im good for another year....

Craig Killborn irritated me to no end ....

John Stewart might be the next Carson .....

Last night the best quote came out of the craig fergeson show from john laraquette .....

They should hang a "Its a dark ride" on the exit of the birth canal....

priceless

Elvis
02-02-05, 03:03 PM
I watched Letterman's first show on NBC--it was a morning thing sometime around 1980. Then when he came on Late-Night following Carson in 1982, I used to stay up and watch that.

I guess it's that I've been a fan for probably 25 years that makes me loyal. I felt like NBC gave Letterman the shaft when Carson retired. It's pretty clear now that Carson always felt that Letterman should have been his replacement. Nothing against Leno, I just think Letterman is a better host.

Conan just needs to grow up and do more adult humor rather than catering to the college crowd all the time. He's very clever and talented, and I think he'll be around for another 25 years.

Letterman will probably be done within 10 more years. He has a bad ticker and a baby boy. I'm sure that the laws of self-preservation will kick in sooner or later.

Kev
02-02-05, 03:07 PM
Conan just needs to grow up and do more adult humor rather than catering to the college crowd all the time. He's very clever and talented, and I think he'll be around for another 25 years.
College crowd? Are they that imature? I was thinking JH level. lol

Kev

Elvis
02-02-05, 03:10 PM
College crowd? Are they that imature? I was thinking JH level. lol

Kev

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt! But now that you mention it, some of his humor is WAY down there, even at 3rd grade level.

Msilva954
02-02-05, 03:18 PM
Conan all the way....leno is o.k.....and letterman is dry imo....

Conan....love when he trys to sell his SHO Taurus...calls the 5spd the Cone Bone....

And you cant forget about the ChuckNorris lever...

Stoneage_Caddy
02-02-05, 03:34 PM

Conan....love when he trys to sell his SHO Taurus...calls the 5spd the Cone Bone....

And you cant forget about the ChuckNorris lever...

yah he is always trying to get rid of the taurus

another classic is when he drives his desk around cali .....

but letterman and that red headed announcer guy are 10 times funnier than conan .....esp last weeks "who is your daddy?" bit ..he got his arse whooped like 3 times

Blackout
02-02-05, 05:35 PM

And you cant forget about the ChuckNorris lever...Ask me why I call my motor the ranch................because thats where I keep my 220 horses baby!! :histeric: Conan is the man. Letterman blows, that dipshit thats the band leader blows even more, just nothing about that show is good. Leno I like a little bit more. I like the Jay Walking stuff but for the most part he's VERY repetitive and his opening monoloug's are so-so. Conan is the best out of all of them just due to him spawning Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. The masturbating bear is a classic and when he goes up to Canada and almost starts a war with them for talking shit to them was funny as shit too. Conan is the most original out of all of them and if he messes up on something he always turns it around and makes it funny if not funnier then what he was going to do. Jay if he messes up just laughs or talks about how he was walking past Kevin's room and all that smoke from the weed messed him up. Letterman.....I dunno cause I could give two shits what he does. Can't wait form Jay to get the hell out of there and replace him with some real talent

Kev
02-02-05, 05:42 PM
... Letterman blows, that dipshit thats the band leader blows even more, just nothing about that show is good. Leno I like a little bit more. ..... Letterman.....I dunno cause I could give two shits what he does. Can't wait form Jay to get the hell out of there and replace him with some real talent
Don't sugar coat it man, tell us how you really feel!

Kev

Stoneage_Caddy
02-02-05, 05:45 PM
wow blackout ...you really do like letterman alot dont you ?

all those nice kind words about how great he is ....

I will agree that damned band leader paul shafer needs to take a flying leep ....he should stuck to movie soundtracks like blues brothers ..thats where that thing belonged ....

Kev
02-02-05, 05:50 PM
I will agree that damned band leader paul shafer needs to take a flying leep ....he should stuck to movie soundtracks like blues brothers ..thats where that thing belonged ....
As a comedian, he's an awsome organist! He would do better just to keep them B3 licks tight and hot and plenty of em, and leave the comedy to the clowns.

Kev

davesdeville
02-02-05, 05:59 PM
watched craig fergeson last night ...is it me or has that show went thru like 10 diffrent hosts in the past 6 months ?

Yeah. Kilborn quit and they had guest hosts for awhile.

F*ck Dennis Miller. That guy sucks like no other. And he ruined Monday Night Football until they fired his sorry ass.

Blackout
02-02-05, 06:17 PM
Don't sugar coat it man, tell us how you really feel!

KevThat was sugar coated :thumbsup:

Playdrv4me
02-02-05, 07:10 PM
LMAO!!! CONE BONE!!! :histeric: :histeric:

Ohh man thank you soo much I had forgotten all about that... I just about fell out of my chair. I wonder if he really drives that.

Msilva954
02-03-05, 08:22 AM
I think he does....probably a winter car or something.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-03-05, 01:10 PM
LMAO!!! CONE BONE!!! :histeric: :histeric:

Ohh man thank you soo much I had forgotten all about that... I just about fell out of my chair. I wonder if he really drives that.

I bet he does ....and i bet his pal jay leno did some work on it ....but i bet they left it all crappy on the outside so no one driving around LA would know that was Conan that just drove by working the cone bone at redline....

Rolex
02-03-05, 07:55 PM
Leno has a decent monologue and not much else. Letterman's sense of sarchasm is his main appeal. Conan is probably at the top of my list with Triumph the poop dog....but his show comes on too damn late! :banghead: Dennis Miller's new show sucks, but his old show on HBO used to be my favorite.

Ralph
02-03-05, 08:10 PM
Lets not forget that the guests are the real reason we probably watch. A good monologue that makes us laugh is just a bonus.

Here is the only reason I would watch Letterman, but you could have guessed it. :sneaky:

Kev
02-03-05, 08:54 PM
Here is the only reason I would watch Letterman, but you could have guessed it. :sneaky:
Ralph, dude! Get some help man! Find a nice lady and go on a date! lol

Kev

slk230mb
02-03-05, 09:09 PM

Kev

He has a fiance.

Kev
02-03-05, 09:16 PM
He has a fiance.
Oh, good, I was worried there for a minute.

Ralph, buy her some roses for no reason at all, write her a steamy love letter. You do more of that and I'll bet she'll make you forget about Nat & Sup. :thumbsup:

Kev

Ralph
02-03-05, 11:27 PM

Kev

LOL Kev! I'll still have no problem looking at beautiful women. You shouldn't either. :lildevil:

Remember your married, so you can look but can't touch. :shhh: No harm in looking.

I don't want to forget about Nat and Supa. :tisk:

davesdeville
02-04-05, 01:41 AM
Lets not forget that the guests are the real reason we probably watch. A good monologue that makes us laugh is just a bonus.

There are only a few guests I'll actually make it a point to watch. Like when Snoop Dogg or Mr.T are on Conan. I watch for the monologue and skits.

Ralph
02-04-05, 01:43 AM
There are only a few guests I'll actually make it a point to watch. Like when Snoop Dogg or Mr.T are on Conan. I watch for the monologue and skits.

You must be a fan of "Saturday Night Live" then? BTW, Paris Hilton is hosting this weekend for the first time!!