: Question for you Cali owners

AussiePete
06-11-13, 11:43 PM
I'm considering buying a 2011 Vagon with 30K miles(the one on the classifieds), which has already been modded with: Hennessey Cold Air Intake, Corsa Sport axle-back, ported snout with 2.55 upper pulley/solid isolator and a tune. My question is on Smog, will this thing pass visual inspection or will we need half of this reverted to original? I would if anything prefer to buy an un-modded Vagon and do it myselfbut those are about what I would do anyway.

cheers

Jinx
06-12-13, 12:19 AM
My dealer service rep told me he'd be happy to install an Airaid for me, but that when it came time for a smog inspection it'd have to be swapped back to stock.

GMX322V S/C
06-12-13, 03:16 PM
Someone who knows what their doing will look for a CARB EO # on the aftermarket CAI. The axle-back doesn't matter and I doubt the rest of it would be caught by a visual.

Off-topic: The tune is interesting though; I don't know the latest, but I read somewhere that there was a proposal to begin checking ECUs for modification; however, this would only be for cars at a certain model year in the future going forward. Anyone familiar with the latest?

Gary Wells
06-12-13, 07:24 PM
Someone who knows what their doing will look for a CARB EO # on the aftermarket CAI. The axle-back doesn't matter and I doubt the rest of it would be caught by a visual.

Off-topic: The tune is interesting though; I don't know the latest, but I read somewhere that there was a proposal to begin checking ECUs for modification; however, this would only be for cars at a certain model year in the future going forward. Anyone familiar with the latest?

PRK "STAR" Program. There are various threads & posts on this subject. 2000 & newer, I believe. Whether they use the sniffer is at the discretion of the smog technician.

Vileem
06-13-13, 02:02 PM
If you know the right smog station you can pass the visial, sometimes for extra $, can it pass the actual test would be a bigger issue IMO.

PNBLWZD
06-13-13, 08:28 PM
I learned the other day that OnStar can check these vehicles' mileage. I already knew they could read a CEL code, but was surprised to hear about the mileage. I bet they can also already see if the tune has been modified, and plenty of other things.

Gary Wells
06-13-13, 09:35 PM
I have heard that they can check & / or verify whether the tune is modified, but I have heard that they can't get into the counter that counts how many times the computer has been tuned & / or changed out.