: How to Enter a CTS With a Dead Battery ? :(

Saeid
06-11-13, 07:45 PM
The Battery is dead , I tried to open the driver door bu using hidden into the remote but doesn't work.So please tell me what I havta to do with my 2010 CTS ..... By the way, i found that I can use jump power points under the hood or the passenger door but I couldn't find them.... please help me I'm in trouble.

Thanks in advance,

The_Judge
06-11-13, 08:02 PM
Which battery is dead -- the car's battery or the battery in your keyless access device?

reciprocity
06-11-13, 08:32 PM
You might post more info. about what's wrong, if you have keyless entry or not, and what you're trying to accomplish.

Have you tried using the emergency key to open the driver's door? Do you have folding seats to access the battery in the trunk or the emergency trunk release?

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-11-13, 10:36 PM
The Battery is dead , I tried to open the driver door bu using hidden into the remote but doesn't work.So please tell me what I havta to do with my 2010 CTS ..... By the way, i found that I can use jump power points under the hood or the passenger door but I couldn't find them.... please help me I'm in trouble.

Thanks in advance,

Hello Saeid,

I am sorry you are having an issue getting into your CTS because of the battery. Could you private message me some more info about your concern so I am able to do some more research on your behalf? Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

99flhr
06-12-13, 01:42 PM
The Battery is dead , i found that I can use jump power points under the hood or the passenger door but I couldn't find them.... please help me I'm in trouble.

Thanks in advance,

The remote terminals under the hood are located on the passenger side fender well, but since you have to open the door to open the hood< I don

1BadCadSTS
06-12-13, 01:44 PM
The key is a good idea... It's inside the fob.

The_Judge
06-12-13, 02:09 PM
The key is a good idea... It's inside the fob. And the key inside the keyless remote works mechanically, not electrically, to unlock the driver's door, so it shouldn't matter that either the car battery or remote is dead.

RippyPartsDept
06-12-13, 02:31 PM
i think the OP said that they key didn't work ...

The_Judge
06-12-13, 02:35 PM
i think the OP said that they key didn't work ...Yeah, but we don't know what he means by "key" -- the FOB or the metal key in it? Also, I've found that the metal key can be a bit hard to turn, which might lead some to conclude that it doesn't work.

Jschmank
06-13-13, 12:41 AM
I ended up with a run down battery after loading a new navigation disk. I used the key to unlock the door, but I use the key to start my car vs the keyless remote. The key in the keyless fob should work. The jumper cable connections are on the passenger side but you have to remove the black plastic engine cover on the fender side to get to the negative connection point. The positive one is under a red plastic cover. It took my car some time to get enough juice to start. Also have check engine light on now after jumping the car.

Z71
06-13-13, 11:50 AM
.................................................. .................................................

C "T" ess
06-13-13, 12:17 PM
You are probably getting the check engine light because you need to reset the throttle position sensor. Check your owners manual under dead battery.

Merge
06-13-13, 12:23 PM
or

The_Judge
06-13-13, 12:34 PM
I ended up with a run down battery after loading a new navigation disk. I used the key to unlock the door, but I use the key to start my car vs the keyless remote. The key in the keyless fob should work....
If the battery in the keyless FOB is dead, the car won't recognize the FOB and it won't work. However, the metal key inside the FOB can still be used to open the driver's side door, to lock or unlock the glove compartment, and to unlock the optional pass-through door to the trunk, but it cannot be used to start the car -- there ain't no keyhole for that!

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-13-13, 03:18 PM
I ended up with a run down battery after loading a new navigation disk. I used the key to unlock the door, but I use the key to start my car vs the keyless remote. The key in the keyless fob should work. The jumper cable connections are on the passenger side but you have to remove the black plastic engine cover on the fender side to get to the negative connection point. The positive one is under a red plastic cover. It took my car some time to get enough juice to start. Also have check engine light on now after jumping the car.

Hello Jschmank,

I apologize for any inconveniences your vehicle is experiencing after loading the new navigation disc. I see other forum members have offered advice on your situation. If you would like to further discuss your concerns, please reach out to me via private message and include your VIN.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

dan5606
06-14-13, 10:04 AM
I have this problem but additionally my physical key opening mechanism in my door is malfunctioning.....is that the ONLY physical key location on the entire car?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Dan

zen
06-14-13, 11:44 AM
You are able to open the hood using a screw driver with a long shank ('~9 inch if I remember) or a quarter inch stiff steel rod of sorts. search this site and there are actual pictures of how to do it. However, if you look through the upper center of the grill, locate the "bolt" that holds the safety catch. About 2 inches to the left and half inch down (as you look at it) there is a hole about quarter inch in diameter. Stick the blade of the screw driver in the hole and pry to the right (toward center of car). The latch will trip and the hood will open. Then you can get to the terminals to jumper and/or charge the battery.

Changed some details after I went to the car and tried it.

C "T" ess
06-14-13, 12:09 PM
After all this time are you still locked out of your car. If your remote has a good battery and is the type with the hidden key, simply remove the key and if it will not work in the door lock then try the trunk key hole. If you have a physical key then the battery dead or not should have no effect at all for getting into your car. If nothing else works call AAA.

Tbbt
06-14-13, 01:11 PM
Seems odd that the OP has never gotten back with any add'l information. They could at least let us know what worked or didn't. Makes me wonder....

The_Judge
06-14-13, 02:00 PM
...If your remote has a good battery and is the type with the hidden key, simply remove the key and if it will not work in the door lock then try the trunk key hole....

There is no trunk key hole if you have keyless entry, or at least there is none that I can see on my 2011 CTS.

zen
06-14-13, 02:16 PM
On the coupe, the key hole is on the "underside" of the chrome bar (handle) that is just above the license plate.

The_Judge
06-14-13, 03:28 PM
I have a 2011 4-door CTS sedan with keyless entry, and there is no key hole for the trunk, either on the surface of the trunk or under the chrome handle. Here's a photo of the underside of the handle:

RippyPartsDept
06-14-13, 04:21 PM
Only the coupe gets the trunk lid key access ... i thought that the sedan and wagon had a key access through an access door in the rear bumper but i guess not

rkp
06-14-13, 04:32 PM
Sedan has mechanical release inside the trunk. You can reach it either through ski sleeve passthrough before the armrest (fixed rear seat) or by folding down the rear seat.

RAB
06-14-13, 09:02 PM
You are able to open the hood using a screw driver with a long shank ('~9 inch if I remember) or a quarter inch stiff steel rod of sorts. search this site and there are actual pictures of how to do it. However, if you look through the upper center of the grill, locate the "bolt" that holds the safety catch. About 2 inches to the left and half inch down (as you look at it) there is a hole about quarter inch in diameter. Stick the blade of the screw driver in the hole and pry to the right (toward center of car). The latch will trip and the hood will open. Then you can get to the terminals to jumper and/or charge the battery.

Changed some details after I went to the car and tried it.

^ Zen, thanks. Here are my photos once again:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/RAB_2008/IMG_1868.jpg (http://s248.photobucket.com/user/RAB_2008/media/IMG_1868.jpg.html)

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/RAB_2008/IMG_1870-1.jpg (http://s248.photobucket.com/user/RAB_2008/media/IMG_1870-1.jpg.html)

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/RAB_2008/IMG_1872.jpg (http://s248.photobucket.com/user/RAB_2008/media/IMG_1872.jpg.html)

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/RAB_2008/IMG_1895.jpg (http://s248.photobucket.com/user/RAB_2008/media/IMG_1895.jpg.html)

The_Judge
06-14-13, 09:36 PM
Sedan has mechanical release inside the trunk. You can reach it either through ski sleeve passthrough before the armrest (fixed rear seat) or by folding down the rear seat.
The only mechanical release inside the 2011 sedan's trunk that I'm aware of releases just the trunk lid -- it's a safety device in case someone gets locked in the trunk, accidentally or otherwise. It even glows in the dark so you can see it. However, it doesn't open the car doors.

I'm also unaware of any "ski sleeve passthrough before the armrest" in my car, which has the fixed rear seat, not the fold-down seats (which I did have in my 2008 CTS sedan).

I've looked, but I don't see anything that resembles what you're talking about -- could you please be more specific as to what I should look for (perhaps post photos).

Thanks.

RAB
06-15-13, 08:54 PM
------------------------------------------
I'm also unaware of any "ski sleeve passthrough before the armrest" in my car, which has the fixed rear seat, not the fold-down seats (which I did have in my 2008 CTS sedan).
I've looked, but I don't see anything that resembles what you're talking about -- could you please be more specific as to what I should look for (perhaps post photos).
Thanks.

Judge, as you're aware there are 2 models of rear seatback on the 2008-13 CTS Sedan - a fixed back with armrest pass-through (which is the base/standard arrangement) and the optional 60/40 split-folding seatback. The fixed back rear seatback in your '11 CTS features a pass-through to the trunk behind the armrest. It sounds like you've never explored the pass-through feature in your CTS.
Here's a copy/paste from the 2011 owner's manual:

Rear-Seat Pass Through
If the vehicle has the rear-seat pass through door, the trunk can be
accessed through the rear seat. This is useful when transporting
long items.
To open the door, pull down the rear seat armrest. Then pull the lever all
the way down to release the door.
To close the door, push it up and back into place. Then try to open
the door without pulling up on the lever to make sure it is locked into
place.

The_Judge
06-15-13, 09:14 PM
Thanks, RAB, I had previously read that section -- but I've looked and there just ain't no lever in the armrest hole! (Or at least I don't see anything that resembles a lever.)

I don't think I have the 60/40 split fold-down seats, either, as there's no release for the seat back that I can see -- the release buttons were very visible on my 2008 CTS.

Photos or drawings in the Owner's Manual would certainly be helpful.

Maybe it's a birth defect.... (The car, not me.)

RAB
06-15-13, 09:49 PM
Judge, given that your '11 CTS Sedan is a Premium model I would have thought your car would be equipped with the 60/40 split-folding seatback. I don't believe the FE3 / 19" Summer Tire performance package that your car has would deduct/delete the split-folding seatback feature.
Note there isn't a release button per se for the split-folding seatback, but rather a fabric release tab. Copy/paste from the '11 manual:

------------------------------------------------------------
The vehicle may have a split folding rear seat.

Sedan or Coupe

To lower one or both of the rear seatbacks:
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/RAB_2008/CTSRearFoldingSeatback_zps875ecb18.jpg (http://s248.photobucket.com/user/RAB_2008/media/CTSRearFoldingSeatback_zps875ecb18.jpg.html)
1. Pull forward on the tab, on the outboard side of the seatback, to unlock the seatback.
2. Fold the seatback down. This allows access to the trunk.

See Trunk (Sedan, Coupe) on page 2‑19 for more information.
--------------------------------------------------------------

The_Judge
06-15-13, 10:55 PM
Thank you for helping a senile (and apparently blind) old coot across the street (or in this case into his trunk)!

p.s. Getting into the trunk won't do you any good if the battery in your keyless remote FOB is dead -- still can't start the car without a working electrified FOB. Or can you?

p.p.s. In 5 years of owning CTSs, and several years of owing MBs with a similar feature, I've never had any reason to actually USE the fold-down rear seats. I'm sure some folks make use of them on occasion, but for most they're a waste of money.

RAB
06-16-13, 05:42 PM
Thank you for helping a senile (and apparently blind) old coot across the street (or in this case into his trunk)!

p.s. Getting into the trunk won't do you any good if the battery in your keyless remote FOB is dead -- still can't start the car without a working electrified FOB. Or can you?

p.p.s. In 5 years of owning CTSs, and several years of owing MBs with a similar feature, I've never had any reason to actually USE the fold-down rear seats. I'm sure some folks make use of them on occasion, but for most they're a waste of money.

Judge, from one sort of old coot to another (who may consider having an eye test! LOL!), glad I could help you into your trunk!

Re p.s. - Hmm.. I'm not sure about that one. The owner's manual explains how to start the vehicle with a "low" transmitter battery, by placing the transmitter in the center console storage area transmitter pocket with the buttons facing to the front of the vehicle. Not sure if that same procedure would work if the transmitter had a completely dead battery. Having said that I can't imagine the transmitter battery suddenly going to zero without some door unlocking /door opening issues or engine starting issues happening days or weeks before that.

Re p.p.s - Actually my wife and I have used the fold-down rear seats several times in the '08, '09 & '11 CTS vehicles we've owned. It always involves shopping, and usually involves the longer items we've purchased. It seems whenever we visit IKEA the fold-down rear seats see action. :bigroll:

The_Judge
06-16-13, 06:08 PM
Good to be reminded about the low battery fix. I'm sure I've read that before but totally forgot about it as I've never been in that situation. Of course, if you can start the car, there's no reasons to try to get into the trunk through the back seat.

I was wrong about the 2008 having the button -- seats were in fact like in the 2011, that is a cloth tab to pull. I was thinking of my 2006 CLS, which I'm pretty certain has a button to push or a tab to pull on the top of the back seat or on the deck behind it.

Citabria
06-17-13, 01:00 AM
RAB. Down in the lower 48 we call it something different than shopping. From an old coot to another I can't recall the last time my wife and I went "shopping". But if something ever comes up I hope I remember the seats fold down. :)

C "T" ess
06-17-13, 12:28 PM
It would have been nice if the OP had let us know how he resolved the problem.