: FWD better traction then RWD?

Night Wolf
02-01-05, 09:44 PM
heh, something I realized the other day, then thought about more today....

in both my Oldsmobile and the '93 DeVille, in either a stright line, but mostly pulling out onto a road, I can get on the gas aggressivly and get minimal wheel spin as I turn and accelerate onto the road.

with the '79, especially when pulling out onto a road, I have to pretty much feather the gas or else the outside rear tire breaks loose and does nothing but spins....

I just think it is odd that with all the FWD vs. RWD things (I favor RWD by far) that both of my FWD cars are able to pull out onto a road much more quickly and better then the '79

The only other thing... the Olds has brand new tires, the '93 has new tires as well... the tires on the '79 are old and really worn... I wonder how much of a difference new tires will make with traction?

plus being front heavy and no Posi dosn't help either...

Rolex
02-01-05, 10:19 PM
FWD cars have lots of weight over the drive wheels, so they grab better. Put a couple hundred pounds in the trunk of your rwd car over the peg-leg wheel and you'll find it will grab better. FWD has its limitations in terms of physics. FWD is great for every day driving but not so great for drag racing IMO. If you want better traction in an older rwd put "spongy" shocks on the front and more rigid shocks on the rear. That will help with weight transfer and get you a better launch. You can also install a locker in the rearend, or weld your spider gears to stop those peg-leg burnouts. You'll love the posi-track on race day, but you'll hate it on wet roads. You might also let some air out of the rear tires before racing your rwd....that can help with grab too. Not that I advocate street racing :halo:

davesdeville
02-01-05, 11:15 PM
Rolex, check your spelling in your vehicle ownership area..

Night Wolf
02-02-05, 12:02 AM
the stock rear end stays... I am on the hunt for a 2.78 Posi from a commercial chassis....

I know for drag racing RWD is better... but even in that case.. the '79 will spin the right rear tire and not move, while my FWD cars grip and go.

After having/driving both FWD and RWD... the gap is really closing in... and for a daily driver, I don't care... it dosn't make the slightest difference. for a performance car, sports car, weekend car or anything like that, RWD is a must..... but I actually enjoy FWD to a point... just working on them is a pain.

I have thought about adding weight in the trunk... but then isn't that kinda going against the go-fast rules? it may get more traction, but it is just more weight to propel along.

I wonder if new tires will really make a big difference or not... I won't be getting them anytime soon though...

One final question, is it bad for the rear end when, say the right tire spins while the left dosn't? I remember reading something that said it puts alot of stress on the spider gears or something.... plus I don't like the open rear because my right rear tire is wearing alot faster then the left :)

danbuc
02-02-05, 12:11 AM
Yes, it is bad for the diff when only one tires spins.

Night Wolf
02-02-05, 12:14 AM
thought so....

that's why I do not sit there roasting 1 tire (peg leged burnouts are not cool either) and when I am making a turn if i know the 1 tires is spinning, I let up on the gas...

although if the weight of the cart is thrown around correctly, both will spin... but that 2.78 Posi is looking better and better as I think about it :)

Msilva954
02-02-05, 01:24 AM
funny.....i struggle to keep the tire/tires from spinnin on the 92' maybe the Vogues have something to do with it....but it is more controlable.

Ralph
02-02-05, 01:33 AM
For my time on ice I'll NEVER wish for RWD again, although for summer it's just fine. The difference is day and night between my old Grand Marquis and the Fleetwood FWD. Even with sandbags in the trunk of the Grand Marquis, fogetaboutit! I could NEVER merge safely and quickly with RWD.

There is some torque steer with the Fleetwood and it pulls to the right just like the 1980 Phoenix coupe we have. A GM trait.

evilrussian
02-02-05, 03:22 AM
You can move your battery to the trunk, on the passenger side. I'm planning on moving mine soon, I noticed that the front end lifts up about 1/4" when you pull the battery out of the tray, and that's better to redistribute weight you already have rather than adding something heavy to the trunk like an enormous speaker box.

davesdeville
02-02-05, 03:31 AM
After driving through that winter wallop in Conneticut I have to give props to FWD and traction control, they really help in the snow. I'll still take RWD if I can get it, living in NM and all.

Kev
02-02-05, 03:35 AM
I'm so glad I live in California. :coolgleam

Kev

Elvis
02-02-05, 03:09 PM
Turn the wheel and step on it in a FWD car, you'll get some spin that you won't see in a RWD car. But it's brief.

I've had nothing but FWD since 1991. I feel safer with it, but now that traction control is so much improved in RWD cars, I don't think the advantages to FWD are what they once were.

caddydaddy
02-02-05, 03:11 PM
One thing you have to remember Night Wolf, the 425 has all of it's torque by 2000 RPMs! Plus it has the most torque of your three cars! That doesn't help out with the wheelspin, and being RWD.

Night Wolf
02-02-05, 04:50 PM
the '93 used to spin the tires alot.. back when I had the stock 15" steelies with hub caps... and the really, really crappy tires that came with the car (even though they were new)

witht he 16" mag wheels and the new Good Years.... tire spin is minimal... I took the '93 out for about 15mins today (havn't drove it in a while) and from a stop in a stright line, it will spint he tires, but only for a short time, the speedo will jump to 30 or so then it grabs and goes...

I don't like the idea of relocating the battery, putting it in the trunk, under the back seat (as in some cars) or anywhere but the engine bay...

it is just something I'll have to live with... I want the Posi though, and if I can find an aluminam hood from a similar year Fleetwood, who knows, maybe I'll pick that up get it painted and put it on....

But for normal daily driving.... which includes rain and everything... FWD has the advantage.... the Olds and '93 DeVille pull out fine in the rain, even if I give it heavy throttle... the '79 has to be featherd or the tire spins and I get no where.... even moving around on the snow-packed drive way (cleared it with the snow blower, but still snow on there) the FWD move around and accelerate like nothing while the '79 tires to get stuck where ever it can....

maybe these worn tires do have alot to do with it though...

Adam
02-02-05, 06:18 PM
gimme RWD anyday. i hate FWD, snow or not, id rather be in a rwd car. maybe thats cause most of my rwds had hydraulics in them and that made them ten times better in the snow than any fwd ive ever had (ive had 2 fwd).