: Transmission issues?

BIGGUYRJ
06-11-13, 05:18 PM
A little nervous here. When I hit around 45 mph, I get a little shudder that lasts a few seconds. About the same speed when I begin to brake, I get a slight surge in speed. Just bought this 05 a couple of months ago and it only has 43k on it! Me thinks it has something to do with the torque converter, perhaps?

curtc
06-11-13, 05:21 PM
I believe there is a TSB for that exact issue, the TC is the culprit from what I've read here.

BIGGUYRJ
06-11-13, 05:40 PM
I can't find where the TSB notices are. I remember seeing them somewhere...

curtc
06-11-13, 05:56 PM
GM Bulletin #06-07-30-030A: 5L40-E/5L50-E Transmission Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Surge, Shudder, Exhaust Moan, Chuggle Noise at Low Speed and Light Load (Reprogram TCM) - (Sep 5, 2007)

Subject:

5L40-E/5L50-E Transmission Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Surge, Shudder, Exhaust Moan, Chuggle at Low Speed and Light Load (Reprogram TCM)

Models:

2004-2007 Cadillac CTS

2005-2007 SRX, STS

with V6 (VIN Codes 7, N, T -- RPOs LY7, LA3, LP1)

2004-2006 SRX

2005-2006 Cadillac STS

with V8 Engine (VIN Code A -- RPO LH2)

Condition

Some customers may comment on a shudder, surge or chuggle on light throttle under light load just after torque converter clutch (TCC) . Others may comment on an engine exhaust moan in the 1200 RPM range between 65-73 km/h (40-45 mph). This occurs with the transmission at normal and commanding the TCC off with the scan tool will eliminate the concern.

Correction
New transmission calibrations have been released to correct this condition in both V6 and V8 applications. Reprogram the TCM using SPS. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB.
After reprogramming the TCM, if the condition persists and mileage is greater than 40,234 km (25,000 mi), replace the torque converter, flush the transmission, and replace the transmission fluid.
If the condition still persists, contact the Technical Assistance Center (TAC).

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-11-13, 08:50 PM
A little nervous here. When I hit around 45 mph, I get a little shudder that lasts a few seconds. About the same speed when I begin to brake, I get a slight surge in speed. Just bought this 05 a couple of months ago and it only has 43k on it! Me thinks it has something to do with the torque converter, perhaps?

Hello BIGGUYRJ,

I apologize that you are experiencing a transmission issue with your STS. If you are interested in taking it back to the dealership to have them try and diagnose the concern you are experiencing, I would be more than happy to assist. Please private message me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you would like to work with if that is the route you would like to pursue. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

EChas3
06-11-13, 10:40 PM
V8 STS only, but yeah. My TC was < $900 at dealer under extended warranty. My AWD V8 had rough low-speed downshifts at about 80,000 miles.

turnne
06-12-13, 10:08 PM
Famous "chuggle"...very common according to my Cadillac dealer who replaced my TC

SRX was highly prone as well they told me
First step...reflash the trans......if that doesnt work....then

second step...replace the torque converter.....this worked for me....$1300 paid under warranty....but if this didnt work then

third step...rebuild the trans

Warren

EChas3
06-12-13, 11:25 PM
Never had 'chuggle'. They did update my TCM and I miss the old program. I may end up with doing business with Madtuner when the warranty is done.