: CTS Performance upgrades 3.6 DI

waunakee wayne
06-11-13, 01:47 PM
Does anyone know why it is so hard to get performance parts for this 3.6L?All I'm trying to do is get an RX Catch Can, Updated throttle body and V-max Ice-olater. Is there that much demand out there for these parts that you can't get your hands on them?I have been in contact with MDR thru e-mail but we are kinda in a holding pattern. I really want to add these mod's then buy the trifacta tune and be done. I really don't want to put the cart before the horse and do a tune then get parts added than go back and have to do it again.Does anyone have any help for me? Or maybe guide me in the right direction.Or a real live contact I could speak with?Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

arw1510
06-11-13, 02:18 PM
1. Who's MDR? 2. Catch Can won't give you any more performance, but in the long run will help stop your car from losing performance. 3. Why not go straight to revxtreme.com and get the stuff from them. Tracy and everyone else over there has always been a great help. 4. You didn't buy a car that most people go out and heavily mod, so there isn't much of a performance aftermarket in the first place.

waunakee wayne
06-11-13, 03:33 PM
Mad Dog Racing, that's the info I got from this forum to get this stuff thru.I know theirs not much out there.But when I decided to go back and own a Cad, I wanted better fuel economy and still have a little geety up and go. I almost bought a V, but up here in Wisconsin you would have to be somewhat crazy to own a rear wheel drive car that you need to drive through the winter ,not to mention the extra HP. So I purchased a CTS-4 3.6DI , a have already put a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system and CAI and that's help alot thru my seat of the pants gauge. But I heard that the V-max Ice-olater (15 to 20 hp), and Reworked throttle body(better throttle response/feel) with a tune would get me were I would like my car to be,maybe 340-350 hp at the engine.(RX can to keep the engine running at peak performance)Not a race car but a good seat of the pants feel when you hit the throttle ,not the hit the throttle then there's a hesitation then it goes only just to find sixth gear as fast as it can.I can especially notice getting to sixth gear as fast as it can since I put the exhaust on it. So that is why I'm looking for these parts ,so I can have a little fun in the sports car scene.But still have all the goodies inside my Cad :)

arw1510
06-11-13, 04:27 PM
I gotcha, but why not go straight to the manufacturer? SC2150 on here is revxtreme and they should be able to get you all the parts you're looking for. I've gone to them for multiple products and have had no issue with them or their products. I really doubt your gonna get 340-350 hp at the engine though. in 2010 what was the engine rated at? 300 or so? you might get close after the tune but don't get your hopes up. I had the same issue with choosing the V or the standard sedan. Driving 25,000 miles a year in NY, I have to be able to get to work in the winter so the 2012 cts 4 was the right choice. My 04 cts rwd cant get itself out of the drive way in the snow lol.

waunakee wayne
06-11-13, 06:27 PM
Thanks arw1510 for your time and input.Yes I agree, and I put a e-mail out to them on there website and hopefully will get a response soon. I'll let you know how it turns out.

6.2/3.6
06-12-13, 03:13 PM
Bad News Racing is a distributor of all RX items and they are easy to get a hold of when you need them.

waunakee wayne
06-12-13, 06:04 PM
Got a call from Tracy( revxtreme.com) today, what a pleasant conversation I had with him and am confident that my dreams are coming true. I placed my mega order for everything I wanted and should see it at my door in 3 weeks.(Good things come for people that can wait) Tracy said just with that V-max Ice-olater I will see 20 RWHP ( I will keep everyone updated with my project, pictures too.) Thanks for the input on my build ,awesome forum!!

waunakee wayne
07-13-13, 07:17 PM
Just install my RX throttle body ( didn't get a sticker :( ) along with the ice-olater that I've been waiting for and I can say it is a much smoother ride thru the RPM range, don't know how much HP I gained but is more responsive. I waiting now for my cable from Tracy and my tune for this 3.6DI and I let you all know if it was all worth it. But so far so good.As far as installation is concerned it is pretty easy on the throttle body very straight forward 4 bolts and a plug. Would like to see some instructions included with the black ice-olater that's a little more involved. Maybe someone can make something up for that install.

krenzema
07-14-13, 11:44 AM
Ice-olator install instructions are found on the RX website.

waunakee wayne
08-09-13, 07:32 PM
Got some bad news, I been waiting for two months on my Trifecta tune from RX Performance and they can't get that for me ?I was told they no longer are a distributor.So I'm hoping I don't have to wait two months for my 400.00 back? I installed the catch can I got one month later than promised ,but I did get it and it looks like a good product. I've had the ice-olater and throttle body on for a month now and its O.K. I really won't know how good it is until I can get a tune. I sure wish Tracy was a little more forthcoming about not being able to take care of his customers. I am still waiting on my 200.00 core charge for my throttle body I purchased ,I did what was ask and returned it immediately and its now been over three weeks and haven't seen that money either. Well I will post my progress in finding a tune. But I should have stayed with Bad News Racing, but hindsight is 20/20 :(

Rx-Cons
08-09-13, 08:44 PM
Yup that sounds like Tracy

Here is the aftermath of the "only properly working catch an on the market"
Look at all the oil in the intake manifold

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii499/v6owner/null-19.jpg

GFCAT
08-09-13, 08:58 PM
Got some bad news, I been waiting for two months on my Trifecta tune from RX Performance and they can't get that for me ?I was told they no longer are a distributor.So I'm hoping I don't have to wait two months for my 400.00 back? I installed the catch can I got one month later than promised ,but I did get it and it looks like a good product. I've had the ice-olater and throttle body on for a month now and its O.K. I really won't know how good it is until I can get a tune. I sure wish Tracy was a little more forthcoming about not being able to take care of his customers. I am still waiting on my 200.00 core charge for my throttle body I purchased ,I did what was ask and returned it immediately and its now been over three weeks and haven't seen that money either. Well I will post my progress in finding a tune. But I should have stayed with Bad News Racing, but hindsight is 20/20 :(

Unfortunately, this is pretty status quo for Tracy. Hope you get your $ back. I could have sold you my Black iceolator for 100.00 shipped. It's in great shape. I bought it from Mike Norris and it arrived 3 days later. I liked it when I was NA but i just dont need it for my FI setup. And yeah my IM unfortunately was full of oil too after using the RX catchcan.

drarmament
08-09-13, 09:02 PM
Is there catch can engineered better, than an oil/air separator?

GFCAT
08-09-13, 09:07 PM
Is there catch can engineered better, than an oil/air separator?

Elite is pretty effective.

drarmament
08-09-13, 09:11 PM
The elite looks good. I guess I won't have to build one. On my SRT-4 I just built one. The home depot catch can. It worked perfect.

ztollon
08-13-13, 10:31 AM
The elite looks good. I guess I won't have to build one. On my SRT-4 I just built one. The home depot catch can. It worked perfect.

Agreed. I bought a Mitsubishi catch can on ebay and moddified it with home depot materials. Works great for me, however keep in mind its damn near impossible to stop the oil all together. No matter the product after a certain amount of time there will be residue inside the motor. Just not as much as it could have.

waunakee wayne
08-14-13, 05:31 PM
Well two months later ,Karen finally refunded my 600.00 that was due to me from my Trifecta Tune and throttle body core charge.But have been thinking hard about where to go for my tune and I just got a bad taste in my mouth over my last dealings with getting the Trifecta tune.So I'm going the opposite direction and contacted Andy at KPE and went for the IPF tune. Talked with Andy and I'm convinced that thru my research and my need to get my power fix for my CTS I went for it. I will post how it feels and if the benefits I was looking for is there. (Like getting rid of the lagging around and getting to 6th gear as soon as it can) .I've got everything that I can do for my CTS-4 as far as bolt on"s, Air raid CAI, cat-back magnaflow exhaust, RX throttle body, Ice- olater, and now the tune, finally! I just hope it was all worth waiting for.

waunakee wayne
08-19-13, 06:21 PM
Well got the tune on my CTS :) , Andy at KPE set up my tune and I could immediately tell that my exhaust was a little more throatier. The install was easy and straight forward, the shift points are firmer and it does get up and go. Haven't raced anyone yet but I will pick out something out to compare it to (V8) .But at least now it feels like a performance luxury car and can somewhat back it up.It's been a long three months of searching for the right bolt-ons ,waiting for parts, and some frustration along the way(just read some of my threads) but I'm happy with the results and that's what matters. A shop that work on my tractor-trailers said he has a place I can take my car and Dyno it, I might just take him up on that in the near future and post some real info on performance but in the mean time I'm going to enjoy my ride.
I want to thank the people in our forum that help in my decision making( posts), and if it wasn't for you all there wouldn't be a great forum like this one.

Ramv
08-19-13, 10:51 PM
Is the tune significantly better? I had one on my 5.9 l Dodge that required premium fuel and it was significantly better than stock. On my 8.1 Chevy I can't feel much difference. We have a '12 so no iceolater advantage. Just need to know if a tune is worth it or just save up for FI.

If they made an AWD V this would much easier!

waunakee wayne
08-20-13, 05:26 PM
Yes, only if they made a AWD -V .I would be at the dealer in a heartbeat:). I have a 03 2500hd with an 8.1 and I got a tune from Nelson Performance in Texas and it unleashed the beast. I have headers dual exhaust, CAI, so on. But as far as this tune on my 3.6L CTS-4 , I can tell a difference in shift (firmer) right away,but give me a week or so and I will comment on the tune. Because it is pricey I don't want to jump the gun and say things that aren't accurate.So stay tuned.

Ramv
08-20-13, 06:25 PM
Good to know. I just have the Hypertexh on both vehicles now. Original on the Dodge was Kenne Bell but they don't make it anymore and my ECM died.

Might have to try the Nelson on my Chevy.

mikejoyce34
11-11-14, 08:20 AM
Hey guys, I just read this and I'm looking at an 07 cts sport 6 speed, can anyone point me in the direction of some good bolt ons? I'd like to see about a 40hp gain...

arw1510
11-11-14, 06:35 PM
Hey guys, I just read this and I'm looking at an 07 cts sport 6 speed, can anyone point me in the direction of some good bolt ons? I'd like to see about a 40hp gain... no. Won't happen. And if you're serious. Post in the 07 forum