: ..Owned by an R32...or Why Torque Sucks without Traction

trukk
02-01-05, 02:00 PM
Today I was comming home from dropping my kid of at preshcool, and an R32 is up my ass on a single lane road. We come up to a stoplight, I stay in the right lane, he's in the left. I look over, he's not looking, just spitting chew into one of those gaudy Arizona Tea bottles (I can't do the scene justice with a description, you had to see it.)

Anyway, light goes green, we pull off slowly. The road comes up to a 2 lane round-about in 1/8 of a mile, i'm still in the right, him in the left. There's no traffic, so we both enter the round-about together, and both get off at the same point. Here it goes down to one lane in about 500 feet or so. He nails it about halfway through the exit curve, which I see. I wait a fraction of a second, till i'm mostly out of the curve, so I don't smack him with my ass end.

A quick note here on the conditions, it was about 25 Degrees out, the road was just barely wet, after weekend of snow, it was that chemical sludge stuff that takes a while to dry out.

Back to the story. I'm in first gear doing about 20, almost out of the curve. I put the accelerator about 3/4 of the way down, and get the atomic rumbling of wheel hop galour. I quickly shift to second, hoping to hook up, but more of the same. By this point, all I see if rear end of a volkswagon, and the end of my 500 or so feet, so I pull in behind.

Very very very frustrating. Is 3/4 accelerator at 3k considered 'excessive or aggressive' driving? bleep-bleep-bleep.

Do I just need to drive like grandpa until it warms up, and there is absolutely no moisture on the road?

GRRR

-Chirs

urbanski
02-01-05, 02:45 PM
hmmm, wet, cold, nailing it in first....yeah, that's the perfect hop set-up :)

BUILDINGCTSAMG
02-01-05, 02:47 PM
r3s also has 4motion i think....when will vw make a passat like that? I would buy it

BowenCT
02-01-05, 02:51 PM
r3s also has 4motion i think....when will vw make a passat like that? I would buy it

The Passats have had 4-motion long before the R32 came along. If I am not mistaken 4-motion was first offered on the Passat in '01.

turbojimmy
02-01-05, 03:00 PM
AWD is a bitch. Man that's humiliating - those things are pig heavy and not that powerful. I wasted one of those like it wasn't moving from a stoplight in an LS1 Camaro SS. On dry pavement. The trac control still intervened a bit, tho. I used to love stoplight 'racing' in damp weather in my Typhoon. People would try, but it was no use. 4 > 2 under all circumstances. Actually when it was dry it did good, too (1.70 60' times on stock tires).

An AWD CTS-V would be incredible. Until then, don't even bother unless you're on perfectly dry pavement.

Jim

Vrocks
02-01-05, 03:03 PM
RWD, lots of power, 1st gear, turning, the roads are wet... and wheel hop, just to add a little insult to injury.

ahahnu
02-01-05, 03:39 PM
I've owned 3 vw's none the famed R32. They are very peppey, quick cars. They are great in bad weather or low traction times. I've learned that if the tires are cold, really cold outside, or wet to just not even try. It's a shame but what can you do, every car is good at something, it just has to be dry and warm for ours cars to kick ass!

BUILDINGCTSAMG
02-01-05, 05:07 PM
I didnt mean 4motion passats, I mean r32 kick ass sports type passats...especially in a wagon....that would be my dream car read audi rs6

Leloz
02-01-05, 09:52 PM
My brother bought an R32 in Germany and has said nothing but good things about it, hopefully he can bring it back with him.

The limited production W8 6 speed sport is the closest you will get to R32 type performance in the Passat.

CTSVader
02-01-05, 10:29 PM
There is nothing that can compare to having 450 hp going to all wheels. I had that in my RS6 and every time the wheel hop hits on launch it makes me kick myself. But i am learning it is all in the feet. I have found traction off and about 16-1700 rpm launch is best but do not dump the clutch just feather it. I wish I could have launch my RS6 but that does not happen in an automatic vehicle.

Leloz
02-02-05, 12:14 AM
If you don't mind me asking, did you compare the B6 Audi S4 to the CTS-V while you were shopping? If so, why did you pick the V over the AWD 6spd S4?

wildwhl
02-02-05, 12:15 AM
R32's might look like slow pokes by the numbers, but having driven a friend's a great deal, in autocross as well, they are a nimble, fun machine. May not have the most horsepower - but given ill traction conditions, can certainly hold their own or better against a RWD monster like our V's :)

Still, I'll keep the V and leave my VW days behind (no less than 5 Jettas/Rabbits in my past).

Now, this past weekend the neighbor across from me had to demonstrate his AWD - Porsche Cayenne Turbo. Holy smokes, batman, but that thing hooked up on our sandy road for a launch like no tomorrow. All I saw was a bit of black smoke and dust and the horrible tearing sound of rubber eatting pavement (or is it pavement eatting rubber) as the turbos spooled and off he shot.

Gonna have to race him once the roads clean a bit (and the MagI/C goes on) :burn:

Koooop
02-02-05, 02:08 AM
With some mods, the R32 can make somthing like 500HP. You may have been burned by something special.

Devil_concours
02-02-05, 08:19 AM
I didnt mean 4motion passats, I mean r32 kick ass sports type passats...especially in a wagon....that would be my dream car read audi rs6
time for you to get audi s4 avant

With some mods, the R32 can make somthing like 500HP. You may have been burned by something special.
It takes a quite a bit of work to get it there

Silver Baron
02-02-05, 09:01 AM
Very very very frustrating. Is 3/4 accelerator at 3k considered 'excessive or aggressive' driving? bleep-bleep-bleep.
trukk
Chris,
Did you have your traction control On / Off / or Competition Mode?

BUILDINGCTSAMG
02-02-05, 09:12 AM
ctsvader, the fact the you owned an rs6 makes me beyond jealous....too bad they dont have the station wagon rs6 here...but please share more info about that beast of a car

trukk
02-02-05, 12:15 PM

Unless he seriously sleeper mod'd the car, it was stock. There was no whine or added grumble from the car. Wheels and exhaust appeared stock also. Plus remember he was spitin' Chew into a big Iced Tea Bottle, that type of guy, in my experience, would announce his mod's with a myriad of fugly stickers.

-Chris

trukk
02-02-05, 12:17 PM
trukk
Chris,
Did you have your traction control On / Off / or Competition Mode?

Traction control was on. I'm still learning this beast, and don't want to wrap it around a curb/tree/r32 just yet. So ya, TC was on.

-Chris

CTSVader
02-02-05, 09:54 PM
If you don't mind me asking, did you compare the B6 Audi S4 to the CTS-V while you were shopping? If so, why did you pick the V over the AWD 6spd S4?
If that was directed toward me I have several reasons. Number one being the CTS-V has a larger interior then the S4. Number two and the main reason I was able to do mods without affecting my Warranty. Also because the CTS-V was beat by the S4 by only 2 tenths if a point in I believe Car and Driver.

JBsZ06
02-03-05, 09:26 AM
25 degrees? AT 25 degrees its advisable to just enjoy being in your car...No racing allowed! :)

There is NO stick at that temperature. Just enjoy the ride when its that cold...and if the roads are wet your really asking for it...(black ice etc)

STay safe...

JB

trukk
02-03-05, 11:18 AM
25 degrees? AT 25 degrees its advisable to just enjoy being in your car...No racing allowed! :)

There is NO stick at that temperature. Just enjoy the ride when its that cold...and if the roads are wet your really asking for it...(black ice etc)

STay safe...

JB

heh, it's just frustrating when other cars have no problem hooking up in the exact same conditions.

-Chris

turbojimmy
02-03-05, 11:26 AM
heh, it's just frustrating when other cars have no problem hooking up in the exact same conditions.

-Chris

Not just other cars, other much slower cars. That's what's so frustrating. Watching a much slower car rocket away from you while you sit-n-spin is just about the most frustrating experience I can imagine. At least at the track you catch up. The street is a lot less forgiving.

Jim

trukk
02-03-05, 11:45 AM
Not just other cars, other much slower cars. That's what's so frustrating. Watching a much slower car rocket away from you while you sit-n-spin is just about the most frustrating experience I can imagine. At least at the track you catch up. The street is a lot less forgiving.

Jim

I don't know why we just can't have the best performing, best looking, least expensive, and most exclusive car on the planet. I think I'll get to work on that. How hard could it be ?

-Chris

turbojimmy
02-03-05, 01:45 PM
I don't know why we just can't have the best performing, best looking, least expensive, and most exclusive car on the planet. I think I'll get to work on that. How hard could it be ?

-Chris

An AWD CTS-V would get you really close. I would even buy one.

Jim