: Can you help me identify this differential cooling connector?

PeteK
06-11-13, 02:58 AM
I picked up a differential cooler from D3 last week, and while the kit is fairly complete, the wiring is still a rather DIY endeavor. Being a somewhat anal engineer and assuming that these cars are wired from the factory to support the unicorn-like OEM diff cooler, I went looking for the OEM connector to use as a source of power. After some digging, I think I found it under (over?) the muffler. It's a two-wire connector with what looks like appropriate gauge wire, with a cap installed in the plug from the factory.

I wasn't able to find that connector on alldata, so I was hoping someone with a factory service manual (or first-hand experience) could help identify the part number so I can find the mating connector to use for the diff cooler kit. If anyone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
-Pete K

SilverrV
06-11-13, 08:43 AM
whatever you do , don't cut the yellow wire.

spearfish25
06-11-13, 08:57 AM
Interesting. Since I'll be installing the same kit eventually too, I'll look at my FSM tonight and see what I can come up with. How do you like the kit otherwise?

Alex

flatrockguy
06-11-13, 12:50 PM
Here is the info your looking for, I think. Let me know if you need more..

spearfish25
06-11-13, 12:54 PM
Sweet. Let us know how it works out. This will be a future project for me.

PeteK
06-11-13, 02:19 PM
Here is the info your looking for, I think. Let me know if you need more..
Actually, I think that's the connector for the pump itself, which is part of the wiring harness that would be included with the OEM kit. I found the correct connector (attached). The service connector is a ridiculous $60 so I've found the Delphi OEM part and I'll put it together myself. I'll probably also use the same connectors for pump and fan connections (which is probably overkill, but hey why not).

The only question I have now is where the relay location is and whether or not it's installed from the factory. Alldata lists it generically as 'Behind Left Rear strut Tower, but doesn't have anything further' I'm guessing it is already installed, since a relay isn't included with the OEM kit, but I'll probably just wait for the connector parts to arrive and test for voltage.

Thanks!
-PeteK

flatrockguy
06-11-13, 02:38 PM
Here is where the manual states the relay is "Differential Cooler Pump Relay (KNR)
In the luggage compartment, to the rear of the left strut tower 15 in (39 cm)"