: Problems with the V manual

Mowgli
02-01-05, 11:00 AM
I just bought a new V this Saturday, and love it. Got the fastest color too - black. :lildevil:

Anyway, I have a question regarding the manual: so I'm sitting in my garage having a grand time setting all the myriad options and doodads, but as I go I'm finding that the printed manuals Cadillac supplies with the car have so many frigging inconsistencies its comical. ...and my smile turns to quizzical confusion over and over.

Gems like "push the exit button" abound thru this thing. "Exit Button?" Hmm. No exit button on the main display. No exit button next to an MFD hard button. *looks around* Hmm, no exit button on the dash or door. There's an exit button on my trousers, but thats a separate topic...

And so it goes.

Makes programming your personalizations and interior settings an adventure in interpretive language deciphering. "Ohhhh they actually meant to do this when they wrote that there..." I know some of the material is for the CTS also, but even in the V-specific material alot of it is just plain wrong.

Can anyone point me somewhere where I can find correct instructions and info on things like setting the exit seat position, stopping the stereo going back to "Spacious" from "Normal" every time I change the radio station, or returning to some really hideous Equalizer setting every time - even though I've programmed EQ1,2,3 with the ones I want, or how to turn up the lady's voice on the navigation. Little things like that? I've already hit the CTS-V FAQ webpage, but that was aimed at other info.

Guess I'm looking for the Rosetta Stone of V Manuals. Or maybe for someone to tell me I'm an idiot. <flamesuit on>

Note to self: Put a bid into Cadillac to become their Owner's Manual Document QA lead.

Thanks in advance.

BTW- I am stupid happy to have finally gotten into one, been waiting more than a year to take the plunge.

FastVee
02-01-05, 11:52 AM
exit button is on the driver door, I believe it is the first button closest to the engine compartment. You may also notice that you do not have a compass reading on mirror, that is taken care of by the nav system.
whatever eq that you prefer...set it to that, then press the station hard button for a couple of secs. and it will be set for that station, you must do this for all stations preset.

Mowgli
02-01-05, 12:09 PM
Thanks. Now see why couldn't stuff like THAT be in the manual? Instead its "push the thing by the thing with the other thing until you hear the thing"

:)

Any idea how I turn up the lady's voice on the navigation cues?
And the DSP selection keeps switching back, is that a hold-it per station thing also to save it?

Silver Baron
02-01-05, 12:58 PM
:welcome:
Check this site.
Itís the collective wisdom of this forum in one neat place. :worship:
Most, if not all questions you will ever have about the CTS-V and its idiosyncrasies are addressed here.
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/oldstyle.html

benjet
02-01-05, 01:07 PM
Thanks. Now see why couldn't stuff like THAT be in the manual? Instead its "push the thing by the thing with the other thing until you hear the thing"

:)

And the DSP selection keeps switching back, is that a hold-it per station thing also to save it?

In the NAV menu (once in NAV mode, hit the TUNE knob for menu), I *believe* there is a volume there specifically for the nav instructions (I have always had mine off, so I might not be %100 on the either).

On the DSP/EQ type settings -
1. pick your fav preset or station
2. apply the DSP/EQ settings that you would like
3. SAVE THE PRESET AGAIN

The settings are PER PRESET, so you have have diff DSP/EQ for each preset if you wish. This confuses many ppl.

Let me know if that helped.

-Ben

ctsvett
02-01-05, 01:27 PM
Did you look at the V-specific book and CD that came with the car? This is not the big thick manual, but a CD case sized book that has an audio CD along with it. This book will walk you through the process of setting things up. The main problem is that the CTS big book is generic for the standard CTS as well. This V-specific book covers the differences and is more specific.

The book is posted here:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/ctsvbook/

Maybe I will get the audio portion up sometime.

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

Silver Baron
02-01-05, 01:42 PM
Catch her when she says something, now use the volume knob. It will raise and store the navigation volume only, but not effect the volume of the radio. You can also press Nav button to make her repeat the last command and now turn the volume.

RobzBLKV
02-01-05, 01:48 PM
Off the top of my head, if you press the "main" button on the lower left side of the counsel and then pick the nav from the main menu, I think you get the nav volume control on the next page of options. Once you have found it, it's really easy to find a second time. I always use the "main" button to get to it again.

It's surpsing how loud you end up wanting it if you have the roof open a lot.

Congrats and welcome!

peterh226
02-01-05, 02:04 PM
I really suggest listening to the CD, I know everyone hates the manuals :rolleyes2 and reading instructions, but it's quite thorough.

The Voice Volume has a setting in the nave menu for Voice Guidance. You can turn her voice off or adjust the volume. Even if the voice is off, you can still press the Replay last command button to hear it.

There are so many settings and gadgets its cool but confusing. The CD walks you through each system in a good manner.

Since I write documentation (one of many hats at work), I tend to try and take advanatage of what people provide. The CD is better than the books.

Have fun (14000 miles an counting)
Peter

Mowgli
02-01-05, 04:02 PM
Hmm maybe my problem is I never received that CD. I got the thick CTS generic manual. A Quick Start thin manual. A Warranty booklet. And an Infotainment booklet that was just chalk fulla errata.

The only disc I got was the DVD. But thanks to the responses here I got through most of what I wanted to set at lunch out in the parking lot. :D

THANKS! and glad to be onboard

cts-v ls6
02-01-05, 09:55 PM
I didn't get a CD either. If someone will burn me one, I'll gladly pay for it.

Thanks!

StealthV
02-01-05, 10:04 PM
The challenge with our Vs is the low production numbers doesn't warrant a dedicated owners manual specifically for our cars. The base CTS stuff is all filler; just rip those pages out. :)

Message to GM & Cadillac: Charge us $50 more for the car and give us the be all to end all, hard bound, matching the interior, leather covered owners manual (blurring the lines to service manual) with no V6 crap.

There's a CD? :rant2:

CVP33
02-01-05, 10:20 PM
I like pie.

CVP33
02-01-05, 10:24 PM
Cats are tastey.

cts-v ls6
02-01-05, 10:33 PM
I want one, please! Paypal to hegger3@jtectn.com. Thanks,

CVP33
02-01-05, 10:45 PM
How did I get blue lint in my belly button when I'm wearing a red sweater?

cts-v ls6
02-01-05, 10:52 PM
CVP33- Paypal done. Thanks!

CVP33
02-01-05, 10:56 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6763&item=7950551728&rd=1

You may be interested in this as well. It's not mine, but if you're missing the other pieces of the owner's manual this is nice.

ctsvett
02-01-05, 11:33 PM
I will post the CD on the FAQ tonight...

-edit-
uploading it now.. should take another 30 mins..
each track (mp3 format) is about 3-5 megs
total size is 58 mb or zipped is 53 mb....
I will post link when upload is complete

save bandwidth and get it from CVP33 for $2.49

Reed

CVP33
02-02-05, 12:27 AM
Don't cast your pearls before the swine.

StealthV
02-02-05, 12:56 AM
As a small business, the government takes ~42% of your profit, thus leaving you with less than $0.35.

Welcome to the real world. :suspect:

CVP33
02-02-05, 01:15 AM
Rick,

I have removed all evidence of my discovery. You may now flame someone else via PM.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

ctsvett
02-02-05, 02:18 AM
Here are the mp3s.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/video/cd/index.html

-edit- All told it is about 58 MB.

Reed

CTSV05
02-02-05, 02:24 AM
CVP,

I'll bite....what the hell are you talking about???

CVP33
02-02-05, 08:26 AM
CVP,

I'll bite....what the hell are you talking about???

Not going to continue the issue. I'm over it.

Reed - Please edit your last post as I will not be supplying CD's. I will continue to offer the emblems at nearly cost as a service to forum members. I'm just an enthusiast trying to help fellow enthusiasts. I am not trying to provide income for my family off of the internet, nor am I a supporting member or vendor.

Take care,

Chris

CVP33
02-02-05, 08:28 AM
Jack,

Don't worry your CD is still on the way. :thumbsup:

CTSV05
02-02-05, 10:35 AM
Apparently I missed something.