: major problem...go figure!!!!

GodduCaddy97
02-01-05, 08:08 AM
OK here is the kicker!
Drove the car friday night pulled into my parking lot and all of a sudden the power stearing goes. I was able to pull it into a spot with my herculean strength! LOL!
Checked it the next day and what do I find...
The top left pulley for the belts is completely torn off!!!! Now I had some lemons but this is impossible!!!
1. Does anyone know what does that pulley belong to (power stearing? maybe)
2. Does anyone know how much one of these damn things go for so I can fix this or have someone fix it.
3. Anyone in the New England area want a catera with issues... LOL!!!

97Catera
02-01-05, 08:16 AM
i know there was a recall on a crankshaft balancer pulley and camdrive idler pulley might be one of them if so you might be able to have cadillac fix it free if the recall hasnt been done already.bring them your vin # and ask if any recalls are still open

chregan
02-01-05, 12:21 PM
Top left when you're standing in front of the car looking at the motor? That's the idler pulley. They can break. Not too hard to replace.
There's a mount with a spring arm and the pulley bolts onto that.
The PS pump is on the right top of the motor from this angle. Below it is AC. To the left of that is the crankshaft. Water pump is right above that. Finally, below the tensioner is the alternator. There should be a picture with labels on the front of the car to show you how the belt goes.
To install the belt, do the water pump last. Put a socket and breaker bar on the tensioner bolt. Turn clockwise and the tensioner will move inwards allowing you to slip the belt over the W/P.
The recall addresses the timing belt which is behind the accessory belts under that plastic cover. It's worth checking for recalls anyways.

GodduCaddy97
02-02-05, 08:16 AM
Thanks!!!! I will check it out!!!