: Rear Suspension Popping Noise

tgeorge34
06-10-13, 10:09 PM
I have a 2008 Escalade and have had a popping noise for over a year now. When I turn left I can hear the popping sound from the right rear of the vehicle. I have taken it to two different dealerships, and another shop and nobody seems to know what the problem is. Kinda odd, but it seems to do it primarily when it is hot outside. I have tried rocking the vehicle from side to side from the outside and can't get it to pop, so I don't believe it is the suspension. It is driving me crazy. Any ideas???

Thanks,

Tyler

2kflhr
06-10-13, 10:23 PM
Is it a 2 rear wheel drive and possibly a limited slip differential? I'm not sure about how the Escalade rear end is set up but most GM cars with a limited slip differential have a tendency to pop when the rear wheels are turning at different speeds such as when the vehicle is moving and turning.

tgeorge34
06-11-13, 01:58 PM
Its an AWD, and it only on the right rear side. Don't see how my rear wheels are turning at different speeds...its not like I am peeling out or something. Also, my wife and brother have the exact same vehicle and neither of them have this issue. If this was a common thing with GM's limited slip differential, I would assume that somebody at the dealership would have figured it out by now.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-11-13, 06:54 PM
I have a 2008 Escalade and have had a popping noise for over a year now. When I turn left I can hear the popping sound from the right rear of the vehicle. I have taken it to two different dealerships, and another shop and nobody seems to know what the problem is. Kinda odd, but it seems to do it primarily when it is hot outside. I have tried rocking the vehicle from side to side from the outside and can't get it to pop, so I don't believe it is the suspension. It is driving me crazy. Any ideas???

Thanks,

Tyler

Hello tgeorge34,

I apologize that you are experiencing a popping noise in your Escalade. Could you private message me the names of the dealerships you have spoken with, along with your name, contact info, VIN, and mileage? I would like to look further into this issue you are having. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

2kflhr
06-11-13, 11:38 PM
I Don't see how my rear wheels are turning at different speeds...its not like I am peeling out or something. When turning the inner wheel is not turning at the same rate as the outer wheel since it doesn't have as much ground to travel as the outer wheel.
If this was a common thing with GM's limited slip differential, I would assume that somebody at the dealership would have figured it out by now. It's the clutch packs allowing the inner axle and the outer axle to turn at different rates.

Cadsrfun
06-12-13, 12:45 AM
Just for grins GM makes an additive for limited slip differentials. I don't have the pn but it works great and might be worth a try. I have used it in corvette rear ends when they made a clunking noise. It's about $15 a bottle and you only need one.

nixonride
06-16-13, 11:35 PM
I had a similar thing happen after I lowered my 07...i tried rocking it manually and it didnt make the noise either but it was the suspension. The rear springs have a bushing cap on the end and the end of the spring sits in a slot...they werent set in properly and werent in the slot so every know and again they would pop in and pop out. My guy took the caps off and aligned them properly and it hasn't happened since...something that shouldnt cost to much and worth looking at.

tgeorge34
06-17-13, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I am taking it in to the dealership tomorrow morning. I will make sure to have them check the busing caps and make sure they are aligned properly. Hopefully thats all it is! I will check back tomorrow.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-17-13, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I am taking it in to the dealership tomorrow morning. I will make sure to have them check the busing caps and make sure they are aligned properly. Hopefully thats all it is! I will check back tomorrow.

Hello tgeorge34,

Thanks for updating us on your situation. I see you are planning on taking your vehicle into the dealership. I assist Gregory W. on these forums and I am familiar with your interactions with him. Please continue to interact via private message with any updates and other concerns.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

tgeorge34
06-18-13, 01:19 AM
Well I took the ride in to the dealership today to have them look at it. They were not able to locate the cause of the noise. I kind of suspected this, as it has not been making the noise for the last two days. They told me just to drive it by without an appointment the next time it is doing it, and hopefully then they will be able to locate it.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-18-13, 02:33 PM
Well I took the ride in to the dealership today to have them look at it. They were not able to locate the cause of the noise. I kind of suspected this, as it has not been making the noise for the last two days. They told me just to drive it by without an appointment the next time it is doing it, and hopefully then they will be able to locate it.

Hi tgeorge34,

I am sorry your issue was not able to be duplicated at your most recent dealership visit. I also hope that when it happens again you can go straight to the dealership and they can see the issue, in order to help resolve this for you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service