: Transmission service

Baccerman
06-10-13, 08:40 PM
Hello everybody.
My DTS is a 2006 model with 80k miles on the clock. I'm currently catching up on some long needed maintenance. So far I've replaced a noisy wheel bearing on the right front axle, replaced the dex-cool in addition to the usual 5k oil change (mobil 1)
Question:
I'm getting ready to service the transmission and I'm curious about the BG flush service offered by the local dealer. I've been told by a trusted mechanic friend that the flush is probably not a good idea at this mileage.(fluid is original, still looks and smells ok).
He says to drop the pan and clean or replace the filters and replace the fluid, although all of the fluid will not be changed.

Any opinions?

tightwad
06-10-13, 11:54 PM
Keep trusting your friend. Flush is not necessary, and if done improperly, can cause problems. Drop and clean the pan. Be sure to remove the drain plug for the side reservoir that's inside the transmission. That's where most of the fluid is at. Do a search on the site. I believe there was a recent post with a picture of this plug. You'll probably get 60-70% of the fluid out. That's enough. Be sure to use only Dexron VI.

MoistCabbage
06-11-13, 02:10 AM
:yeah:

Baccerman
06-11-13, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the reply. Does anyone have a picture of the drain plug inside of the transmission?

----------

Thanks... I found it with the search feature. Im new to forum... this is GREAT!!!