: a little rant about chevy SS performance.

illumina
02-01-05, 12:42 AM
am i the only one that thinks that chevrolet is losing their lusture?

i ask this because of the performance oriented cars they're coming out with do nothing for me at all.

you see, back in the day when my mother had a '72 chevelle SS and my stepdad had the el-camino, i thought that chevy was all right. they had nice big muscular V-8 cars. my father had a nice '87 monte carlo SS and my brother still has his '86. these are the chevys that i have grown up with...

enter today. chevy just doesn't seem to have the lusture that they once had with me. i'm not expecting a chevelle SS from the '70's, but something in the now that can compete with the likes of the mustang GT...and please don't say the corvette is the GT's rival: they're too far apart in price to even be consdered as such (until the cobra comes out). ever since they killed the camaro (SS), it seems to me that they've lost anything that could have rivaled the GT. this goes for the other cars as well...

imapala SS: nice looking car, but a FWD V-6 just doesn't cut it for me (yeah, i know that my caddy is FWD too). i like the fact that they're coming out with the 5.3 liter, but i'm unsure how the refreshed car will look like and if i'll like it at all. to my understanding, this too will be a FWD car.

monte carlo SS: see above.

colbolt SS: good competition to the SRT-4 neon, but it's still just a cavalier...somewhat.

SSR: nice but limited. what is the exact competition?

silverado SS: compared to its rivals, this thing is far too expensive and not nearly as performance oriented as the direct competition: SRT-10 ram; F-150 lightning (discontinued); you get the point.

and where is the competition to the GT mustang???

any thoughts?

Kev
02-01-05, 12:59 AM
Oh, I miss the day......
Remember the Z-27? '67 Camaro SS 396 with the RS package...
Or the Z-20? '70 Monte Carlo SS with 454, Yeah Baby! Limited trunk space but that front end went on for miles!

Kev

Kev
02-01-05, 01:04 AM
Not to mention REAL premium gas, 94 octane at 50 cents a gal?!!

Kev

Kev
02-01-05, 01:05 AM
By the way Illumina, God doesn't hate you, He's just not real thrilled about your atitude! (jk) ;)

Kev

Jesda
02-01-05, 02:20 AM
Mustang GT competition? The discounted GTOs are an excellent buy right now!

illumina
02-01-05, 05:52 PM
Mustang GT competition? The discounted GTOs are an excellent buy right now!

the GTO is nice, but not any sort of chevy SS that can compete with their arch-rival, ford.

c5 rv
02-01-05, 06:48 PM
Chevy has a cute little 400 HP two seater called the Corvette that fits the performance bill, plus there's the upcoming 500 HP Z06.

I'm looking forward to the RWD versions of the Impala and Monte Carlo that are rumored.

illumina
02-01-05, 07:37 PM
Chevy has a cute little 400 HP two seater called the Corvette that fits the performance bill, plus there's the upcoming 500 HP Z06.

I'm looking forward to the RWD versions of the Impala and Monte Carlo that are rumored.

The vette does well against the GT mustang, but costs about 20K more than the GT, thus putting them into different classes alltogether. When the cobra comes out, then they'll be more head-to-head in terms of competition.

From what i understand, the SS impala and monte carlo will still be FWD when they're refreshed for next year. They are supposed to carry the 5.3 liter 300 hp V-8 however.

Kev
02-01-05, 07:47 PM
The vette does well against the GT mustang, but costs about 20K more than the GT, thus putting them into different classes alltogether. When the cobra comes out, then they'll be more head-to-head in terms of competition.

From what i understand, the SS impala and monte carlo will still be FWD when they're refreshed for next year. They are supposed to carry the 5.3 liter 300 hp V-8 however.
Don't forget that the Vette's engine is 24% larger than the Stang. Not a fair comparison.
"There's no substitue for cubic inches."

Kev

illumina
02-01-05, 08:04 PM
Don't forget that the Vette's engine is 24% larger than the Stang. Not a fair comparison.
"There's no substitue for cubic inches."

Kev

That and the next thing that comes close to comparison with the mustang GT is the impala and monte carlo SS models. Unfortunately those models don't even come close performance wise: they're too heavy and carry the 4-speed auto to the front wheels. Otherwise, they're not bad looking cars.

Chevy will come out with the HHR (truckish thing), but still no camaro replacement to readily compete with the mustang GT.

By the time they do come out with something to compete with the GT, they'll be too far under water to make a splash...IMO.

Kev
02-01-05, 08:07 PM
By the time they do come out with something to compete with the GT, they'll be too far under water to make a splah...IMO.
Gurgle gurgle, blub . . blub . .
SOMEBODY NEEDS TO KICK THEM IN THE *** :rant2:
Are they paying attention?

Kev

davesdeville
02-01-05, 08:45 PM
GM has the Impala/Monte Carlo 5.3, then the GTO, then the Vette... their bases are covered pretty well if you ask me. That Monte Carlo should do well against the new Stangs even with FWD, it's estimated 3500 pounds and over 300hp and like 320 ft.lbs - my ETC is gonna have a problem keeping up with that.

Kev
02-01-05, 11:24 PM
Oh ... OK, .... never mind.....

Kev

CadiJeff
02-02-05, 12:15 AM
http://www.chevrolet.com/montecarlo06/
I can't complain about this

Kev
02-02-05, 12:20 AM
http://www.chevrolet.com/montecarlo06/
I can't complain about this
Not bad. My favorite is still the '70 MC SS w/454.
**Sigh** Oh, well, guess I gotta stop livin in the past.

Kev

Kev
02-02-05, 12:30 AM
Ooh, the '65 Chevy II Nova SS with a 327 and M-21, 411 Posi .. . .
My buddy's '63 Chevy II that we dropped a 350 w/TH400 (B&M rebuild) Fred Jenks heads, Hooker fenderwell headers ... . sounded like a big block. . ..
cruisin for chicks (never found em :crying: ) street racin ...
STOP IT you guys! Just stop!
Oh the humanity!

Kev

Playdrv4me
02-02-05, 02:01 AM
Am I the only one that was totally surprised by how good that new center stack looks? That radio gets kudos, big usable knobs, chrom trimmed with a useful and beautiful FL display and good climate control knobs too. Other than that it appears they are still using the same body as before with a front and rear end rehash.

davesdeville
02-02-05, 02:35 AM
All that really matters is that a powerful V8 is back in the Monte Carlo SS.

Kev
02-02-05, 02:37 AM
All that really matters is that a powerful V8 is back in the Monte Carlo SS.
That's right! All we want to know is;
Is it fast?!
Will it blow the doors off a Mustang GT?!

Kev

davesdeville
02-02-05, 03:00 AM
Well it will weigh a tiny bit more than a GT probably, it will have 1% more HP and torque as well. It probably won't launch as well being FWD... but it's definately too early to see, we'll have to wait until the MC is ready for the strip in production form.

Playdrv4me
02-02-05, 03:07 AM
Id still rather have the GTO for outright performance... ;)

illumina
02-02-05, 12:22 PM
Considering the mustang GT runs about a 13.4 (13.5 w/auto) in the quarter mile, i would say that the heavier FWD cars will be hard pressed to catch up. Need i say that the SS cars will still carry a 4-speed transmission too. Even the mustang's auto will be a 5 speed.

Basically put, FWD vs. RWD in this case puts them in different classes alltogether.

Right now, i would say that that the new SS monte carlo/impala with 302 hp will run a low-mid 14 second quarter mile:the northstar STS with 300 hp ran the quarter in the mid-high 14 second range. i would say the extra torque will give the SS models a slight advantage off the line.

With regards to the GTO, it will run very well with the mustang GT, but by no means is the GTO a chevy SS that can run with it. Pontiac did their part, i just hope chevy does theirs.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-02-05, 12:42 PM
i wonder what happend to all that talk of the 5th gen camaro ....it sounded legit too ...

base engine was going to be the 4200 ...top line engine would be the vette motor ...they were gonna do a deal where it was gonna be retro to the 69 in a way but with bmw 3 series proportions

davesdeville
02-02-05, 05:20 PM
Considering the mustang GT runs about a 13.4 (13.5 w/auto) in the quarter mile,

That seems an exceedingly optimistic representation of a GT's time.

illumina
02-02-05, 05:32 PM
That seems an exceedingly optimistic representation of a GT's time.

No, these are actual motor-trend (yeah, i know they suck, but times are times) times based from their car of the year testing. The manual ran a 5.1 second 0-60 and did the quarter just above 13.4 seconds. A seperate test had the automatic 5 speed running about a tenth slower than the manual.

Kev
02-02-05, 05:45 PM
"Times are times"
Yup, I seem to remember the old Z-28 and Boss 302 ('69) turning high to mid 12's with minor adjustments.

Kev

davesdeville
02-02-05, 06:13 PM
Most of the tests I've seen and people's reports are within a tenth of 13.8.

illumina
02-02-05, 07:30 PM
My bad: the manual did a 13.5 while the auto did a 13.6...Still though, to think that the SS monte carlo will come close to that is a little optimistic.

On a side note, the current impala/monte carlo SS (supercharged) runs the quarter mile in about 14.8 seconds (impala). I think my estimate of a low 14 second quarter mile for these cars are pretty sound.

c5 rv
02-02-05, 08:05 PM
I think the '06 Impala / Monte are minor "refreshes" of the current platforms. Somewhere I a rumor of a new platform in '09 or later.

It seems that GM is targeting Pontiac for the mid-priced performance sedans & coupes to try to boost the brand.