: Chrome Wheel Horror Story

burkewm
06-10-13, 08:28 PM
Never thought i'd see this happen. Had a few tires leaking air last week, so I got them bead sealed since they still have decent tread left. Over the weekend one of my tires started dumping air until it was flat overnight. Took it in to get checked out today, and the mech took me back to see why it was happening...

The chrome was peeling off the portion of the rim where the tire seals against it, and it had shredded the inside of the tire to heck... There was literally rubber dust falling out of the tire when he finished taking it off in front of me.

Needless to say, I need new wheels. He sealed the portions that were peeling off, but said it was only a matter of time before it happened again and shredded another tire. I'm pretty pissed as I was really a fan of my wheels... they're about 4 years old so I can't say I'm surprised, but I am irritated that I've only had the car for a year and have to buy an entire new set of rims and tires for the car. Anyone else ever had chrome wheels do this to them?

1BadCadSTS
06-10-13, 08:57 PM
OEM wheels?

burkewm
06-10-13, 09:06 PM
Negative, they claimed they were "Vogue" wheels when I purchased the car but they are actually Giovanna Sabina wheels. They have a vogue center cap, so not sure if vogue used to make them or what...

1BadCadSTS
06-10-13, 09:43 PM
Pic?

ddalder
06-10-13, 09:43 PM
Yes. Chrome wheels are often not without their problems. Re-chroming is enormously expensive and impractical. An alternative is to find a set of painted rims and ship them out for finishing. I just had a set done for my Bonneville because of the very same problem you're having. You'll get a very close to chrome appearance, but they aren't "chrome" as everyone knows it. Have a look at this video. I sent mine to Detroit Wheel & Tire and they fixed all the minor blemishes and sent them off to be refinished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Jjso0mO3s

Because of the type of finish the wheels can be repaired and/or refinished, unlike a true chrome plated wheel.

burkewm
06-10-13, 09:45 PM
No picture, it was too painful. I was just going to buy a new set of wheels/tires, and try to sell the old ones for whatever I can get for them. I don't need chrome on the car, they were just a "bonus" when I bought it.

orange57
06-10-13, 09:54 PM
I just picked up a set of painted Oem cts wheels, same as the STS 17'' chrome wheels I have on my car for $175 on cl. I plan to clean them up and repaint them a gun metal grey color. I'm not a big fan of chrome, I'm not very flashy...but really like caddi's :)

burkewm
06-10-13, 10:35 PM
Will 16" Seville (1997) fit on there? Specifically these:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/3791941492.html

OEM wheels for my car were 17" so I'm unsure about these...

Ludacrisvp
06-10-13, 10:41 PM
I think you must keep 17" or more to clear the calipers.

burkewm
06-10-13, 10:50 PM
I figured that would be the case... guess I am keeping an eye out for a set of those then.

EChas3
06-11-13, 10:01 PM
Anyone ever try the non-staggered 'N93 - 17" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS' (OEM) on their STS equipped with 'JE5 - 17" PERFORMANCE BRAKES'?

I don't believe they were ever delivered that way, but maybe they do fit.

curtc
06-11-13, 10:31 PM
Anyone ever try the non-staggered 'N93 - 17" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS' (OEM) on their STS equipped with 'JE5 - 17" PERFORMANCE BRAKES'?

I don't believe they were ever delivered that way, but maybe they do fit.

I have them on mine. I kept the 17's from my 04 CTS and use them as my winter wheels. My winter rubber won't be any good next winter so I'm riding them out for a while longer. I could take some pics of the front caliper clearance if someone wants. They fit fine.

EChas3
06-11-13, 10:43 PM
Do you know if these are the same wheels that came on the 2007 STS?

curtc
06-11-13, 11:11 PM
Do you know if these are the same wheels that came on the 2007 STS?

Pretty sure, not 100% though.

EChas3
06-11-13, 11:22 PM
They look like aluminium, & aren't as bright as my 2006's staggered 'N87 - 18" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS' which look like chrome (with the faux allen bolts).

is3_ftw
06-12-13, 07:06 PM
My gf's chrome wheels started peeling and she had a slow leak. She ended up replacing them.

Polish wheels look just like chrome, just not super shiny