: Our little Malibu Maxx 2004-2005 RIP ?

Stoneage_Caddy
01-31-05, 10:35 PM
Its been a long year with our Maxx. Possibly our time is over with the latest set of problems that have added to problems that cannot be fixed.

Tonight the Steering failed (again). Something to do with that electric power steering system . They have to replace the collum every time it blows out. The brake lights are stuck on at all times and in turn takes out the cruise controll. I went out tonight to hear the noises mom was talking about . It sounds like a shitload of marbles are trapped on the collum when you enter the driveway or any bump(not a cv type noise either). But my drive was short . The engine started to overheat. Luckily it did this as i pulled into our driveway so i immediately shut it down. Gonna have GM pick it up tomorrow. Moms scared of the car , its the 3rd time she has lost power assit on the interstate at 70 mph . But its the first time the brake lights were stuck on (dad was behind her and shes not a left foot braker).Its also locked itself in 4th when you go to merge onto the interstate and sometimes it looses the gas pedal (drive by wire goes out intermittently)...

Told them not to buy a first year GM ...now they know why ....even tho GM does a heavy testing phahse of all new products im thinking that suppliers are at fault dureing the first year , not GM. but either way we need to dump this car so we can get mom something she isnt scared of....

time for me to do some reaserch ....i think they agree with me another MAXX is a bad idea ....and there tired of dealing with the service dept at GM

Ralph
01-31-05, 10:42 PM
Sounds like you got stuck with a lemon! Generally I agree about first year production cars like the 1984 Fiero with electrical probs/fires, etc. However our 1980 Phoenix coupe 2.8 that my Mom bought new is the exception to this rule! No headliner drooping (nor any on all my familiy's GM'S) and never anything major other than a couple of starter motors and 3 or 4 alternators. Some first run production X-cars were flawed with premature camshaft wear or wrong size or ?, and rear locking brakes causing the car to violently skid. There are always exceptions.

RBraczyk
01-31-05, 11:24 PM
Get an Impala.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-31-05, 11:35 PM
naw they dont want another new GM .....and we hated the impala becuase of its interior , cant buy the next gen with the 5300 cuz it will be a first year car...

fords definately out , chrysler is a never deal with my dad and i , we make jokes about those cars....

Mom reallys wants her old tracker back , it was a 02 4 door with that six , nice truck but it wasnt safe ....but damn it was trouble free ....

So GM , from the looks of things you ran my parents out of the domestic car market. good job !!!! Its a sad day when your customers throw away a GMS discount to spend more money to get a decent automobile......Why did GM quit makeing good quality cars ? they almost got turned around after the japanese beat them sensless in the 80s...guess they gave up again

for those that dont know GMS is for family members of GM employees .....brought our 26k Maxx down to like 21 and removed dealer prep charges

davesdeville
01-31-05, 11:46 PM
It's STS-V time. Or is that a bit out of Maxx's price range? :histeric: Get em a 300 3.5 - it won't move with the 2.7 and the 3.5 is tons cheaper than a C.

Imports.. well I don't know much about them being that I'm a domestic kinda guy so good luck with that.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-31-05, 11:48 PM
as far as imports go ive loved all my nissans ....so maybe i can turn them onto a G35 ..maybe there as good as my old G20 ...even tho the only thing in common with them is the letter "G"

Ive was alyws a import guy till i got the caddy ....I like v8s alot now ....

illumina
01-31-05, 11:53 PM
you're an (X) infinity guy, right stoney? talk them into a nissan altima if nothing else is to their liking.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-31-05, 11:55 PM
yup i am .....i dunno if they like the altima , ive tried to turn them onto them before ...there is so many of them around here its scary ...and thye hate to own anything that there is a ton of.....They liked the last Gen maxima alot ....i outta take them to see the new maxima ....its got 2 sunroofs like the maxx

Msilva954
01-31-05, 11:59 PM
Mazda 6 Hatchback or wagon?

Stoneage_Caddy
02-01-05, 12:12 AM
thats a good idea ....dad enjoyed that car when we did the Mazda "Rev it up" thing

Ralph
02-01-05, 12:15 AM
Forget the idea of buying rice Stoney, I just don't see you in it.

Thought you were a "Patriot?" :devil:

Enough of this "considering a Japanese car" business! :tisk:

Nissans break down too. So do Lexuses. Just don't buy a first year production car again.

Hatchbacks suck because they all seem to rattle after 2 years, and there is no security.

EDIT: I misread and see it's your parents choice. Nevermind. :D

illumina
02-01-05, 12:17 AM
yeah, there are too many 2.5 liter altimas around, but the 3.5 SE in one nice ride. and a good performance-per-dollar car too.

personally, there really isn't a nissan i don't like, except for the SUV(s), but that's a different can of worms.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-01-05, 12:22 AM
Forget the idea of buying rice Stoney, I just don't see you in it.

Thought you were a "Patriot?" :devil:

Enough of this "considering a Japanese car" business! :tisk:

Nissans break down too. So do Lexuses. Just don't buy a first year production car again.

Hatchbacks suck because they all seem to rattle after 2 years, and there is no security.

hey its not me ..im turned to the domestic side after my G20 ...i got hooked on v8s ...my folks however are pretty angry that there money got them this heep ....And they have owned nothing but domestic cars there whole life ....dads had a studebaker , 5 fords , 6 chevys, 1 amc ..moms had a dodge duster and 2 chevys ..this is the first time iveseen them acively talk about foreing cars outside the miata

Personally for me ill prolly always have a domestic till ...gota have my v8s

But remeber ralph ....ive owned 4 nissans and one honda....your talking to someone who was very hard core import ....One test drive in a boat changed alot ....

evilrussian
02-01-05, 12:32 AM
Acura TSX :yup:

ben72227
02-01-05, 12:49 AM
Yeah i looked at one of those Mazda 6s and they look NICE and actually have some styling too them. They are kinda small in the backseat though. But they're KINDA domestic since they have that FORD engine in them. Isn't Mazda a subsidiary of Ford now anyways? You could always look at a Camry - they're time tested and reliable. I wouldn't go with an 05 accord though - they're BUTT UGLY this year and cost way too much for a Honda. They nissans look nice but like the Mazdas, they aren't in the same quality category at Toyota or Honda, but only a notch below - which is still better than current GM. (i.e. you won't have your Mazda lose its power steering 3 times.)

I'd really look into a new Impala (the 06 model is supposed to be a redesign i think) or maybe even a Pontiac G6???

Jesda
02-01-05, 03:18 AM
Mazda is now a wholly owned division of Ford. Mazda does all of their own design and engineering, but throw in bits from the Ford bin if they get the job done (like engines). The new Lincoln Zephyr is on the Mazda 6 platform.

Is the Bonneville out of your price range? The more I see and read about it, the more I really like it.

Me, personally, I'd go for the Mazda 6. I dig the Altima but I think the tail lights will soon look dated. Plus, there's too many of them on the road now [personal preference of mine to own a rarer vehicle].

Playdrv4me
02-01-05, 04:55 AM
Get a last year (2001) Jeep Cherokee, if she liked the Tracker, the Cherokee Limited with leather, 4X4 and the Infinity sound will bowl her over completely. I dunno how they feel about used vehicles, but a low low mileage example of a Cherokee Limited 2001 should be about 12-15k, they are just dirt cheap and go forever. Yes you have to put aside the fact that its a Chrysler product... but then its really not, its an AMC product and the reliability of that Inline six is legendary (its a damn fine lookin truck too). Im tellin ya, im on to something here.

Mazda...blah... never liked ANYTHING that company put out except for the original RX-7 and even those were only good for about 120k with good maintenance.

Nissan... the NEW Altima SE-R should prove to be a blast and looks different enough from the rest to keep it fresh for a while. Plus you get xenon lights and a whole bunch of other goodies.

Mercury Montego and Volvo S40 come to mind, but they are both Fords and first year.

RBraczyk
02-01-05, 07:04 AM
The S40 is worth it though. :) T5, all wheel drive, manual, droooooool. Even with the automatic its a little rocketship.

airbalancer
02-01-05, 08:48 AM
Surprised to hear you had problems with the Maxx.
On GMI it like the "best of the best" for new cars
I was say how about the G6, but that a new car also.
I would look at a Vibe , GM discount, the are supose to be rock solid , a same interior as a tracker and your Mom will seat abit higher
that is my $0.02

Stoneage_Caddy
02-01-05, 11:30 AM
We are surprised to have the trouble out of it ....The last troublesome GM we had was a 93 Safari Van , but that was the first year for that tranny the gave us greif. Even them GM fixed the problem..most of our other GMs have been great

GM Picked the Maxx up this morning .
We included the list of issues on the car :
#1 , vibration at 50mph since deleivery of car on 1/27/2004
#2 Headliner Rattles after it was replaced to fix sunshade problems
#3 Sunshades Still pop open on there own (car has rear sunroof)
#4 XM radio goes out intermittently , esp if autostart is used. Will not get any kind of "reception" just static
#5 Front left suspension sounds like "marbles trapped in tube"
#6 Excessive Road noise (ive driven trecels and daewoos that are quieter)
#7 Starter stays enganged after key is relesed and engine is running for 1-4 seconds
#8 Pinging on 87 octaine , manual doesnt not instruct to use premium , use of premeium does not resvole issue
#9 Buzz in shifter assembly
#10 Fuel Pump is VERY noisy comapred to a 05 Maxx
#11 Dash clunks and rattles
#12 CD changer spits out ALL 6 CDs whenever it wants to
#13 huge clunk entering and exiting driveways, sounding as if there isnt any lower controll arm bushings
#14 brake lights are stuck on
#15 Engine overheating
#16 Idleing rough , sometimes trys to move itself with 3 cyalanders when we try to stay stopped at a stoplight

Alot of the "excessive road noise" complant came up when we got to drive another Maxx , that car was completly diffrent behavior waise than ours , even tho it has the exact same options (even down to the color)

Vibe ...ill run that by her ....thats a good option .....toyota built GM ....that car cant be bad at all

caddydaddy
02-01-05, 11:39 AM
If she wants a wagon type car, what about a Volvo wagon? Like the V50, or one of the older models? They are great cars!
Or my choice would be a CTS!

airbalancer
02-01-05, 11:40 AM
:shhh: Vibe ...ill run that by her ....thats a good option .....toyota built GM ....that car cant be bad at all
I did not want to bring up the "T" for a car maker :worship:

Stoneage_Caddy
02-01-05, 11:47 AM
If she wants a wagon type car, what about a Volvo wagon? Like the V50, or one of the older models? They are great cars!
Or my choice would be a CTS!
yah she likes the little volvo wagon alot .....shes VERY safety minded ...thats why she got rid of the tracker , she didnt like how unstable it was ont he highway .....she bought it origianlly becuse it fit her ....she isnt exactly tall so ts kinda hard to find a car that fit her well . the max was interesting becuse it had adjustable pedlas and the seat raised up along with the telescopeing steering wheel ...then the rear seats slid back so my little brother could "fit" back there....we dont understand why but he will complain if his knees are less than 7 inches from the front seat says "i dont have any room"..... thats why we might be stuck and get another maxx if GM can talk her into feeling safe in a 05 maxx or G6....

caddydaddy
02-01-05, 11:53 AM
Well cars don't get much safer than a Volvo! Have you seen the new V50 wagon? It's pretty nice looking! I'd take the 300 HP S60-R, but it's probably too sporty for your mom!

Stoneage_Caddy
02-01-05, 12:09 PM
nothings to sporty for her ......she drove a 73 vette with a 4 speed muncie tranny from northern indiana to florida (with a 6 week old "me" in the cargo hold behind the seats)....and she used to hold a SCCA Racing liscense....

so no ...shes game for anything ....and prolly the best female driver out there

caddydaddy
02-01-05, 12:27 PM
Wow! I just mentioned that because some people that like wagons like the MAXX or Volvos aren't the sports car type!
My Mom has always had a Camaro, Mustang, and now a Corvette and a CTS, so she's pretty "sporty". But no SCCA licenses or trophies. My Dad has quite a few from Watkins Glen though.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-01-05, 12:32 PM
Well for street cars we never get anything "sporty" we have the vette for a sporty street car ....we get normal average cars ...they never drive fast or use a car to its limit ....we susuly keep cars 8-10 years ....this is the second time weve gotten rid of a car after less than a year ...we wouldnt have even been close to this position if the T-bird we had could have made it another 3 years ...but those 3.8s are garbage

dougfelsenthal
02-01-05, 12:50 PM
Work the lemon law - sounds like you deserve it:(

crocodileguy
02-01-05, 01:05 PM
^^what he said...the MAXX is a good car, just use the lemon law and trade in for an '05. If the dealer isn't willing, talk to a GM regional service representative. Or get an attourney. Honestly, you're out a lot of money if you buy a new car, so just use the lemon law and get an '05 MAXX. You said y'all drove another one specced out the same...I dunno every automaker has problems. You said you've only had a minimal problem that was resolved quickly with a previous GM...right now Nissan has quality glitches, Honda has transmissions that fail on the highway, Toyota has engine sludge problems...honestly you're going to have issues anywhere you go. Just work the lemon law. Give GM a chance to make things right.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-01-05, 01:37 PM
were gonna work with GM as long as everything stays civil ...but thats the problem , the dealer has been less than helpful when it comes to even getting an oil change ...we paid the cash to have the oil changed and they not only didnt change the oil but forgot to reset the oil life monitior ..we never get a rental when the car is in for service over the 2 days or whatever ...and usuly get the car back with the problem still there only now missing trim parts on the interior or stuff missing alltogether...then there is the grese and dirt that gets smeared on the interior....

Kev
02-01-05, 01:44 PM
were gonna work with GM as long as everything stays civil ...but thats the problem , the dealer has been less than helpful when it comes to even getting an oil change ...we paid the cash to have the oil changed and they not only didnt change the oil but forgot to reset the oil life monitior ..we never get a rental when the car is in for service over the 2 days or whatever ...and usuly get the car back with the problem still there only now missing trim parts on the interior or stuff missing alltogether...then there is the grese and dirt that gets smeared on the interior....
Sounds like it's time to find someone else to service the car. If they won't be professional and curtious then find someone who is. There is no reason or excuse to continue to patronize less than competent/honest retailers. If you know of fraud and have proof you should report them to your state's automotive regulation department.

Kev

Jesda
02-01-05, 05:37 PM
Overheating?!?!?!?? Sheesh. Was everyone at the factory drunk that day?

c5 rv
02-01-05, 07:42 PM
She needs to read the GMS agreement in detail regarding the use of arbitration to resolve customer satisfaction problems as a condition to getting the discount.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-01-05, 08:09 PM
we decided to forgo the lemmon law stuff ...GMS was such a good deal that we may be able to trade the thing off and not loose our arses to much over it.....

The dealer said "there is nothing wrong with the car"...

Shes decided she wants a Subaru Baja ....I guess she knows how i feel about subaru and them being the Volvo of japanese cars ....

Little does she know that subaru is owned by GM so technicly shes getting another GM ...But i think there great cars esp if you plan on keeping them for 8-10 years like we do as there easy to service

Kev
02-01-05, 08:16 PM
The dealer said "there is nothing wrong with the car"...
In that case, he should be willing to give you top dollar for trade in eh? :yup:

Kev

Stoneage_Caddy
02-01-05, 08:19 PM
In that case, he should be willing to give you top dollar for trade in eh? :yup:

Kev

excatly and with the lack of fully loaded(every option except dvd) maxx cars on lots we should get alot for it ...esp since it is a dead ringer for the maxx chevy uses on its ads

Kev
02-01-05, 08:29 PM
You go Stoney! :2thumbs:

Kev

Vesicant
02-01-05, 08:31 PM
Why do the lemons always over overheat to add to the problems ... lol (something ive noticed a majority of the time).

Kinda sucks.. i liked the look of the Maxx over the regular Malibu. Anyways.. that Subaru should do well.

Kev
02-01-05, 08:43 PM
Why do the lemons always over overheat to add to the problems ... lol (something ive noticed a majority of the time).

Kinda sucks..
I think it's a vicious circle. Think of how many serious problems result from overheating.

Kev

Stoneage_Caddy
02-01-05, 08:47 PM
the overheat is the one thing that troubles me the most ...

and just a FYI guys , we are not the only ones with a Maxxident ...Ive documanted the failures on our car and found the same failures on a host of other maxxs when i searched the net ...ive printed it all out for mom so if her and dad decide to use it as ammo they have it ....this also includes a list of open investigations on the maxx from the nhsta ...

One thing i can say with absolute certainty is the loss of powersteering problem , even GM has admitted on cases with other owners that they expect to chage the steering collum on every malibu made so far ....

Im worried , did GM relese a Vega 2.0 instaed of what could have been the single best faimly sedan ever made?

if they would have used the dohc 3.6 and done a beatter job devloping the car they would have had a camry slayer

Kev
02-01-05, 08:51 PM
For some reason, this thread puts me in mind of the Ford recall thread...Hmmm? :suspect:

Kev

Stoneage_Caddy
02-01-05, 08:59 PM
i think once the govt gets on this it will be the single most expensive recall GM has ever seen

davesdeville
02-01-05, 09:36 PM
Shes decided she wants a Subaru Baja

First a Maxx now a Baja, good god. What's next an Aztek or PT Cruiser :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: I think there's a 10 smiley limit so I'll stop there.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-01-05, 09:39 PM
Find me something new that has 4 doors ,room for a family ,is halfway reliable ,gets good gas milage, and costs under 30k.....and isnt ugly ...Now find one someone under 5ft tall could drive safely ....

Yup thats right , that car doesnt exist ....Buy ugly or walk ......simple as that ....We got enough nice looking rides anyway with the vette,deville and silverado ...

Ralph
02-02-05, 01:08 AM
Found the Malibu review video Stoney:

http://www.drivingtelevision.com/segmentviewer.php?segment=7&episode=105&searchStatus=&keyword=&keywordcall=&segtitle=

Stoneage_Caddy
02-02-05, 01:15 AM
see on paper its the perfect family car when you add the Maxx option ...man its too bad its got all those problems

Msilva954
02-02-05, 01:31 AM
Mazda 6........

Seriously though....if I wasnt pro V8 or american that would be first on my list....its the best compromise between American Jap and Euro.........not the fastest but its a ABOVE decent everyday car...

I like Volvos too.........ford has the best all around fleet of cars IMO.....

Subaru is nice....Baja is eh......id take a turbo Forester over the baja.

Ralph
02-02-05, 01:34 AM
Mazda 6's are underpowered compared to others in the same family like Accord, Camry. They just aren't exciting.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-02-05, 01:35 AM
oops forgot to update some info ...

Dealer apprently called and i didnt know it ealier today after the "there is nothing wrong" call...

They have agreed to the pull to the left ...and agreed the vibration might be due to tires .....after more talking they realized they need to look under the dash and see if a connector was left loose and to check the condition of the body controll module ....there thinking that if either one have been knocked loose dureing other service that that may have caused yeasterdays host of problems

but the other complanits still linger ....

Playdrv4me
02-02-05, 02:02 AM
GM Dealers MUST be used to dealing with this kind of thing on a regular basis, I think thats why so many times they just work the denial angle. In any case... Subaru... hmm theyre ok I guess, I personally would get the loaded out Outback or Forester, but I guess my Cherokee option didnt raise your eyebrows huh?... I see how it is ;) Sandy where are you when I need you!!!

Jesda
02-02-05, 06:34 AM
The Mazda 6 is in many ways like the Miata -- of all the competition it has the best chassis, steering, and suspension. Its without question the most fun to drive. The Camry and Accord are better for room and comfort.

Subie? Check out the Legacy GT -- a hottie (now with) a body. Prices have gone up though.

airbalancer
02-02-05, 08:47 AM
Is a CTS not in the picture?
Base in Canada is about $40 g's what is it in the States?

Hoop
02-02-05, 09:05 AM
I would suggest the Mazda 6 too. Awesome car. Also, Ford owns 33.3% of Mazda, so they merely have a controlling interest.

As for people not liking "imports"(Half of these cars are now made here anyway) I personally think thats stupid, but whatever. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Once GM axed Olds, I told the General to go F itself.:D

Stoneage_Caddy
02-02-05, 12:56 PM
GM Dealers MUST be used to dealing with this kind of thing on a regular basis, I think thats why so many times they just work the denial angle. In any case... Subaru... hmm theyre ok I guess, I personally would get the loaded out Outback or Forester, but I guess my Cherokee option didnt raise your eyebrows huh?... I see how it is ;) Sandy where are you when I need you!!!

acutally im rather partial to the grand cherokees ...but only the TSI and 5.9 limiteds ..never warmed up the the resdesign ...tho the newest one is sharp..my folks however .....if there is one thing thye hate more than a jeep ..its a bmw .....the drivers of boath of them have a stigma my parents wanted to avoid ....they call them "yuppie cars"....i dont see it myself ..

there so hardend aganst BMW that my dad finnaly drove a 02 330i a week ago after a co worker found out he would never drive one....and were talkin hes had 100s of oppenrtunitys to drive them .....

as for me ive only driven one BMW ...i made it 65 feet ...the engine computer blew out...it was a e36 if memory serves ......

Dealer is working on the car today ....they still wont give us a rental ....had it 2 days now ...It sure as hell isnt the service i got with infiniti ...then again they cared about there customers .....Chevys been trapped in the year 1965 when it comes to customer service .....

Dads going over the GMS papers to see whats up with the arbitration ...i looked it up online ..didnt seem that diffrent than what regualr customers would do...

Playdrv4me
02-02-05, 07:26 PM
acutally im rather partial to the grand cherokees ...but only the TSI and 5.9 limiteds ..never warmed up the the resdesign ...tho the newest one is sharp..my folks however .....if there is one thing thye hate more than a jeep ..its a bmw .....the drivers of boath of them have a stigma my parents wanted to avoid ....they call them "yuppie cars"....i dont see it myself ..

there so hardend aganst BMW that my dad finnaly drove a 02 330i a week ago after a co worker found out he would never drive one....and were talkin hes had 100s of oppenrtunitys to drive them .....

as for me ive only driven one BMW ...i made it 65 feet ...the engine computer blew out...it was a e36 if memory serves ......

Dealer is working on the car today ....they still wont give us a rental ....had it 2 days now ...It sure as hell isnt the service i got with infiniti ...then again they cared about there customers .....Chevys been trapped in the year 1965 when it comes to customer service .....

Dads going over the GMS papers to see whats up with the arbitration ...i looked it up online ..didnt seem that diffrent than what regualr customers would do...

Hehe... Well personally while I did like the GC for along time, its no where NEAR as reliable as the regular plain jane boxy cherokee, which is the one Im referring to. The XJ body rather than the ZJ body in other words. I do agree though, the 5.9 was always a cool truck, and it got alot of peoples attention. I call it the CTS-V of 1998, and even then it was 38000.00.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-02-05, 09:58 PM
update ....we have a rental ....a 04 impala ....i forgot how nice these were as far as quietness ,smoothness and overall confort

GM called and said they found 17 diffrent problems today on a 4th drive ...there fixing the car !!!!!

Vesicant
02-02-05, 10:26 PM
What was causing it to overheat?

Ralph
02-02-05, 10:28 PM
update ....we have a rental ....a 04 impala ....i forgot how nice these were as far as quietness ,smoothness and overall confort

GM called and said they found 17 diffrent problems today on a 4th drive ...there fixing the car !!!!!

Why couldn't they find the problems before? Did you take it to different dealers for different opinions?

Glad they're fixing it, hopefully they'll get it right the first time!

Stoneage_Caddy
02-02-05, 10:32 PM
Not sure why it overheated , if you ask me im thinking the computer is to lazy with the fan operation ....all gm needs to do with that is update the parameters for fan operation ....

yah ralph were all very pleased . were not sure how but the same dealer that said nothing was wrong had another guy drive the car today ...and it guess didnt make it back and had to have it towed back to the dealer or something. But they now see everything we have been telling them ...I think now that they know whats wrong they will fix it right and we will get the Maxx we bought , not chirstine's stepchild

Ralph
02-02-05, 10:36 PM
Not sure why it overheated , if you ask me im thinking the computer is to lazy with the fan operation ....all gm needs to do with that is update the parameters for fan operation ....

yah ralph were all very pleased . were not sure how but the same dealer that said nothing was wrong had another guy drive the car today ...and it guess didnt make it back and had to have it towed back to the dealer or something. But they now see everything we have been telling them ...I think now that they know whats wrong they will fix it right and we will get the Maxx we bought , not chirstine's stepchild

Good thing it stalled on them!! :devil:

Those Impalas have the most boring, uncomfortable back seats but I'm sure they are good cars. My Aunt got a 2005 Altima 2.5 a couple of months ago and the runner up was a new Impala. She's tall, like 6 ft. and said the Altima had more headroom. Altimas are nice I have to confess but I think the styling is getting old like the Impala was.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-02-05, 10:42 PM
yah the back seats arent great in the impala ...but up front its very nice ...but no cadillac .....

the rental impala died on us at K mart today ...i couldnt get the damn thing to start ....i think it may have flooded itself ...looked at mom and said "just our luck the rental would breakdown"...then it started an didled at about 1700 rpm before going to a normal idle so i could shift it to drive.....

Ralph
02-02-05, 10:48 PM
yah the back seats arent great in the impala ...but up front its very nice ...but no cadillac .....

the rental impala died on us at K mart today ...i couldnt get the damn thing to start ....i think it may have flooded itself ...looked at mom and said "just our luck the rental would breakdown"...then it started an didled at about 1700 rpm before going to a normal idle so i could shift it to drive.....

OMG your family has the worse luck with GM cars! Then there is my Stepdad who never had to do anything with any of his cars other than general mainenance and he does drive the 1979 Nova a lot and the Bonanza truck. My Aunts 1975 and 1985 Cutlasses NEVER broke down! (the one who bought the Altima) Dad and I maintained them for her everytime she visited and we did the tire rotation, oil change, coolant changes with them. I should have bought that 1975 Cutlass 2 door, blue with white interior, 350 Rocket that was so smooth running it was crazy.

I couldn't blame you if your family wanted to look at the import market!

majax
02-03-05, 09:40 PM
Maybe your dealership is doing something to the cars. Maybe they are the x-out cars and they are trying to pass them off as good. I cannot believe your so unfortunate, wow. If you get any import get a Mazda, they are owned by Ford, which is American. You could also buy a Saturn L300 or a Buick Century, those are reliable, especially the Buick. The Saturn Vue would be good to.

Hoop
02-04-05, 11:08 AM
Again, Mazda is not owned by Ford, Ford only has a controling interest.

If you wanna get technical, GM owns some stock in Subaru's parent company, Fuji Heavy

Stoneage_Caddy
02-04-05, 04:20 PM
Well just got it back ...they didnt fix anything ...but they did align it and balance the tires ...

Ralph
02-04-05, 04:29 PM
Well just got it back ...they didnt fix anything ...but they did align it and balance the tires ...

OK, I think it's time to raise some hell with those arseholes! I would have refused to pick it up and/or talked to the Manager and complained!

I thought they were going to fix it?! That's what they told you right? What did they tell you when you picked it up??!!

I'd be VERY upset!

Aligning and balancing the tires is NOT what you need done to it and I would lecture the Manager on that! They are trying to sugar coat the fact they don't want to take responsibility and fix it. Take it right back and DEMAND it be fixed!

Damn, I'm losing my cool here...

Time to threaten getting a lawyer?? (see I'm becomming more American every day) :D :shhh:

slk230mb
02-04-05, 04:30 PM
So what was the point of giving it to them. :confused:

Stoneage_Caddy
02-04-05, 04:42 PM
there is no point giving it to them ....they wont fix the car ...my dad called them and told them "document that we wanted it fixed and attch it to the car , so when they pull the dead bodies out of the car they will know what happend".

GM at a national level took interest after that statment ....

Jesda
02-04-05, 11:26 PM
Fine 33%, but for all practical intents and purposes (sans engineering), it functions much like a wholly owned division of Ford.

majax
02-04-05, 11:51 PM
Have you tried another dealer?

Stoneage_Caddy
02-04-05, 11:56 PM
not yet ..GMs telling us what to do step by step ....and telling the dealer what to do when they see the car ...we shall see what happens ...at least GM isnt screwing us around like the dealer....

sevice manager asked dad "maybe you just cant afford the car and want to get rid of it?"...well after i brought the title to the service manger he realized hes screwed up big time sayin that...everybodys really freindly to us now ....

majax
02-05-05, 12:11 AM
I would love to see it get fixed and then it be reliable for 200,000miles;)

Stoneage_Caddy
02-05-05, 12:29 AM
I would love to see it get fixed and then it be reliable for 200,000miles;)

so would we ..belive us ....this is the car we wanted , its the only car out there with the features we needed....In fact the manager asked what car we would want , we told him , no one makes anything that we like or want....We told them "were stuck here and we dont know what to do"...GM also appears to not know what to do with a family who has loyaly (outside 2 vehicles and me) purchased GM for over 30 years

Hoop
02-05-05, 01:22 PM
Fine 33%, but for all practical intents and purposes (sans engineering), it functions much like a wholly owned division of Ford.Well, put yourself in Mazda's shoes. Would you want your name associated with being owned by Ford?:p

Kev
02-05-05, 02:43 PM
Well, put yourself in Mazda's shoes. Would you want your name associated with being owned by Ford?:p
Oh, c'mon man! That's just wrong! :nono: What are you? Some kinda GM religious zealot? :mad:
(jk) lol

Kev

ben72227
02-05-05, 02:52 PM
Well, stoneage if you do decide to replace the MAXX, then i would definately recommend looking at the Mazda 6 "sport" wagon. I think it has a 220 HP V6, and it looks (IMHO) a lot sexier than the maxx, especially for a wagon:

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/downloads/MZ6/mz6_wall3_800x600.jpg

Hoop
02-05-05, 05:38 PM
Oh, c'mon man! That's just wrong! :nono: What are you? Some kinda GM religious zealot? :mad:
(jk) lol

KevActually, ever since they cut Oldsmobile, I haven't cared much for GM.

Kev
02-05-05, 05:47 PM
Actually, ever since they cut Oldsmobile, I haven't cared much for GM.
They never do seem to get it right (I mean all the manufacturers). There are the exceptions, of course, but in the long run we are left with whatever they decide to build and we can like it or lump it. Though I have to say, I am liking the look of the '05 Stang GT. It puts me in mind of a cross between the '67 Shelby, '69 Boss and '70 Machs.
Every now and then someone comes up with a winner. Those are the models guys like us live for (exageration). They all have their lemons, they also have a few exceptions.

Kev

mikevh
02-06-05, 01:18 AM
Hi I work at a chevy dealership in NJ I havent seen any problems with the MAXX other than the power steering issue which once the column is replaced will be fixed....

Seems to me that you have to find a new service department

call gm and find one that has a good CSI rating.........

Stoneage_Caddy
02-07-05, 12:48 PM
hey mike , thank you for joining our community and for replying to our problem with the maxx .

I agree , we need a new service dept to take care of the car ,GM will probably give us the name of a good one now right? GM seems to have been telling us what we need to do as far as the delaer is concerned so maybe there next step is to send us to a new service dept.

Can you honestly tell me how good the 05 MAXX is ? Are they improved over the 04 besides the rear spoiler and wiper? The dealer has been tossing the idea at us to work at getting us another maxx , a 05 ....And since we looked at the subaru and mazda we are stuck witht he maxx , there is nothing out there that appeals to us as a family more than the MAXX.

We just wish MAXXes were as quiet,trouble free and smooth as the 3.8 Litre impala we drove ...

Ralph
02-14-05, 10:42 PM
Malibu Maxx VIDEO for you Stoney...

http://www.drivingtelevision.com/segmentviewer.php?segment=7&episode=120&searchStatus=&keyword=&keywordcall=&segtitle=

Stoneage_Caddy
02-14-05, 11:24 PM
ralph ...what if i said id like her and the maxxes back seat ....then the maxx would be a awesome car

to bad we dont have american ladys like that showing us how the backseats work on our american cars ...damit we invented the proper backseat ....

Ralph
02-14-05, 11:53 PM
ralph ...what if i said id like her and the maxxes back seat ....then the maxx would be a awesome car

to bad we dont have american ladys like that showing us how the backseats work on our american cars ...damit we invented the proper backseat ....

LOL! I thought you might get a kick out of that little seat demo.. :)

She also said "well, once your all comfortable back here, what do you do?"

I know what I would do. ;) :devil:

She also mentioned something about "7 inches." :hmm:

Any updates? How's it running?

Stoneage_Caddy
02-15-05, 12:07 AM
its still running and operating like a turd , goes back tomorrow

yah i heard every word she said and gigled my way thru the review she did ....call it being alone on Valen day ...i call it the sexyest thing to hit the backseat of a maxx ever

Ralph
02-15-05, 03:03 PM
its still running and operating like a turd , goes back tomorrow

Try getting a little tough with them? Say, "why don't you let your mechanics drive it for a few days and see if it happens again, because we don't want it back until it's fixed properly!"

See what they say. Man, they are Fu***** the dog on this one!

Kev
02-15-05, 03:10 PM
Or, they could be confusing this car with a penguin?
:histeric:

Kev

Ralph
02-15-05, 03:13 PM
Or, they could be confusing this car with a penguin?
:histeric:

Kev

Since you despised that pic so much, do you REALLY want to see it again??!! :mad: :lildevil:

I feel bad for Stoney's Mom and I think it's time to get tough because that dealership is lazy and obligatory to make things right IMO! :mad: :madtalkin

Stoneage_Caddy
02-15-05, 03:14 PM
yup they sure are , brake lights got stuck on again last night , its something to do witht he power adjustable pedals , apprently they stick on when the pedals are as far towards the driver as possible (for short people) we replicated it 7 times , we shall see what the dealer says ...

you outta see the service orders ont he car they read like this (im not kidding here)

1)
Complaint:
Vehicle pulls to the left abruptly -
Problem Found:
Vehicle Operates as Desinged
2)
Complaint:
Cruise controll doesnt work
Problem Found:
Vehicle Operates as Desinged
3)
Complaint :
Intermittent Loss of power steering
Problem Found :
Vehicle Operates as Desgined
4)
Complaint:
Noise that sounds like "marbles in metal tube" coming from left front wheel
Problem Found:
Vehicle Operates as desgined

Im not kidding ralph , thats how it reads , for 13 out of 17 of the items , other probalems were "corected" with wheel balance and alignment....They say they cant find nothing wrong but one guy at the dealer told us about the Owner of the dealerships wife , she went thru 2 mailbu maxxes before she got one that was right...

sometime this week some dude that runs the service depts for GM in the south east us is supposed to stop by and talk to us about everything that happend....

Kev
02-15-05, 03:21 PM
Since you despised that pic so much, do you REALLY want to see it again??!! :mad: :lildevil:
I just can't get that horrid picture out of my head! It haunts me!! AAAHHHHHH!!!!!! (and, I like to tease you with it :sneaky:, I'm thinkin one day you will say to yourself, "Self, WHAT WAS I THINKING?!" If you haven't already)

I feel bad for Stoney's Mom and I think it's time to get tough because that dealership is lazy and obligatory to make things right IMO! :mad: :madtalkin
I do feel bad for the situation as well. I would probably have gone to the mats with this dealer by now. I think that Stoney's folks have been more than patient on this. I tend to get a little testy when service department personel start callin me a liar! :want:

Kev

Ralph
02-15-05, 03:22 PM
yup they sure are , brake lights got stuck on again last night , its something to do witht he power adjustable pedals

That problem happened on the Phoenix when it was new. The taillights stayed on and would not go out. Fortunately a mechanic lived up the street back then and came over and simply screwed a little black plastic screw that sits right behind the brake pedal on that little plastic plunger thingy, apparently it just got loose or was never tightened at the factory enough.

If the owner of the dealer's wife got to go through two Maxxes before she got a good one, tell the owner YOU want the same consideration and respect! After all, your family paid a lot of money and if they want repeat customers and a good reputation, they wil treat people right and fix the problems!

I still say tell them to keep it all week even, and that will "tell them" that you are frustrated with going back and forth, etc! Hopefully they will come around, and tell them HOW INCONVIENCED you are by all this!

Stoneage_Caddy
02-15-05, 03:25 PM
last time we went to pick it up we left it there for the day after we signed papers for the "work" done on it , we came and grabbed the car just before they closed after we spent the day looking at subarus ...

in fact i think weve put 50 miles on it since we got it back 2 weeks ago ...it stays in the garage all the time ..we take the caddy and silverado everywhere now ...

I told them to mention to the dealer that they would rather drive there sons 10 year old cadillac with 140,000 miles than there 2004 Maxx ...i guess they did ....dealer didnt know what to say ...

Ive acutally had to take days off work so mom could take my car to appointments and leave the "maxxident" in the garage...

Ralph
02-15-05, 03:33 PM
last time we went to pick it up we left it there for the day after we signed papers for the "work" done on it , we came and grabbed the car just before they closed after we spent the day looking at subarus ...

in fact i think weve put 50 miles on it since we got it back 2 weeks ago ...it stays in the garage all the time ..we take the caddy and silverado everywhere now ...

I told them to mention to the dealer that they would rather drive there sons 10 year old cadillac with 140,000 miles than there 2004 Maxx ...i guess they did ....dealer didnt know what to say ...

Ive acutally had to take days off work so mom could take my car to appointments and leave the "maxxident" in the garage...

I think in this situation, the key is to keep "bugging them" and they might get fed up with you and give you a new one or take the repairs seriously. ;) They say the squeeky wheel gets the grease, and it might work here.

I know Ford had a lot of recalls on their adjustable pedals, but I wonder if Chev got it right for 2005.

Just keep telling them how inconvienced you are by all this, have an angry look on your face when you talk to them, etc. Some psychology is involved and you should see the discounts my Dad gets when he buys a car. :D

Too bad the Maxx didn't stall on Dagmar, then she wouldn't have had so much fun playing with the back seats! :shhh:

I hope they are giving you a free loaner car!!?? They should be for your troubles.

Adumb
02-18-05, 10:57 PM
i would have to say as far as foriegn cars go, subarus are the best bet. AWD kicks ass.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-18-05, 11:00 PM
GM cuts us a sahweeet deal on a getting new maxx ....

were trying to decide if we want the chrome wheels and what color we want ....we will probably have our new maxx by next week

slk230mb
02-18-05, 11:38 PM
GM cuts us a sahweeet deal on a getting new maxx ....

were trying to decide if we want the chrome wheels and what color we want ....we will probably have our new maxx by next week

Good new, glad to hear it. Is mom happy?

majax
02-18-05, 11:59 PM
Awesome man! I would not go for the chrome wheels it seems to me that GMs chrom wheels are plastic covers on alluminum. Just get the normal alluminum wheel.

Dark blue or black would be cool.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-18-05, 11:59 PM
hard to tell they all have the flu ....dad was somewhat mobile today so he figured out most of what we have to do .....when mom can leave the house and take a look at the cars then shell decide on color and how she feels about it ...

but she is happy that she wont have to drive this one anymore ...

I prolloy wont be there to do my tradition of watching the car as it is prepped by the dealer for us to take delivery (i keep the lot boys from touching the car with a "buffer")..it almost happend last time ....not feeling so hot tonight so i think i got what my folks have....hope someone keeps it from getting buffed

Ralph
02-19-05, 02:34 PM
hard to tell they all have the flu ....dad was somewhat mobile today so he figured out most of what we have to do .....when mom can leave the house and take a look at the cars then shell decide on color and how she feels about it ...

but she is happy that she wont have to drive this one anymore ...

I prolloy wont be there to do my tradition of watching the car as it is prepped by the dealer for us to take delivery (i keep the lot boys from touching the car with a "buffer")..it almost happend last time ....not feeling so hot tonight so i think i got what my folks have....hope someone keeps it from getting buffed

Glad they are doing something! See, the squeeky wheel gets the grease. :sneaky:

I like that lime green colour. :shhh:

RealmCenter
02-19-05, 04:53 PM
Okay Stoney, time to tell your folks to break down and buy a Dodge Magnum (preferably an R/T for your enjoyment). It has all the features you guys want and is twice the car.
Darren

Stoneage_Caddy
02-19-05, 05:04 PM
they dont like chrysers ...according to mom and dad the last good chrysler ever made was the 71 duster with a slant six .....

but yah , i think that magnum is awesome ...as long as i can turn the traction controll off and have the hemi

Stoneage_Caddy
03-15-05, 03:21 PM
well just a update , we still have the "maxxident"...GM even went as far as having dad sign paperwork with vin numbers and everything on it , all the paperwork is done ...Gm said 3 weeks ago "itll be ready friday" , week one goes by ...nothing ....week two goes by ....nothing ...week three...still nothing , weve picked the car out and everything ...GM ediventally is playing with my folks ...there not doing anything about it either .....there just very happy i guess with this peice of junk ...

were even driving it again , kinda sucks its getting hot down here and no the climate controll/AC wont work ....but it is neat to listen to AM radio ...oh and sometimes it wont start or the stater is still engaged as we shift it to reverse and drive away...

Id be rasing holy hell if it was me but not them ...they are just ...not doing anything ...werid aint it ?

I mean if i had signed papers for a new car and had everything ready to go id be a little more conrend when GM gave me the cold shoulder ....

Ralph
03-15-05, 03:25 PM
Id be rasing holy hell if it was me but not them ...they are just ...not doing anything ...werid aint it ?

And that's how GM might get away with it! GM is probably testing your parents and I would personally be calling EVERYDAY to stay on top of it and pester them that you want it done! If they bug them enough, they'll get tired of dealing with them, and they might speed up the process. That's what I would do!

Stoneage_Caddy
03-15-05, 03:47 PM
And that's how GM might get away with it! GM is probably testing your parents and I would personally be calling EVERYDAY to stay on top of it and pester them that you want it done! If they bug them enough, they'll get tired of dealing with them, and they might speed up the process. That's what I would do!
no thats how GM WILL get away with it ..... :banghead:

RocketFast321
03-15-05, 05:07 PM
I know i'm late on this, but i can feel your pain. We have a 97 malibu (first year) I have a pretty good size list of things that are wrong with it, but it still gets my mom from point A to B. Getting back to point A is the problem some of the times. Belt snap idler pulley and belt tensioner breaking. It does not have have 100k+ miles only 57k.

Scandalous
03-16-05, 04:48 AM
the altima would be a good choice. my dad had one, a first year (93) with the 2.5 liter and a 5 speed. he got 276000 out of it before he sold it to my friend, who put another 10000 on it, then sold it, and i lost tracc of it

danbuc
03-16-05, 05:20 AM
My friend knows this kid at his school, who's dad has like a 1990's Maxima (don't remember which year), but when he showed me the odometer, it read at the time about 510,XXX miles or so. I had never actually seen a car with that many miles before, and especially one that ran so well. It was in perfect shape, with only routine maintenance done to it. I guess it just goes to show that if a car is built well, and you take care of it, it will last a really long time.

Jesda
03-16-05, 03:45 PM
The third-gen Maxima (89-94) is an excellent choice. They still look modern with tons of parts and aftermarket options. I hate the Bose system, but I tend to hate most Bose systems. The fourth-gen 95-99 Maxima is also nice, more comfortable, and more refined, but comparatively more boring.

A couple years ago I missed out on a 91 Maxima with 300k. I looked at it, drove it, and went home to ponder it. Came back to the dealer a little later to buy it but it was already sold.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-22-05, 01:34 AM
well everyone at 2pm today GM took the Maxx back ...put a huge sticker on the dash that said something like "vehicle not for sale or for private use GM property"..

it will go to detroit and be taken apart to find the problem , GM will then put it back together and send it to a school as a leanring tool or to the insureance insititute for crash testing ...

its a good thing , a few more problems cropped up , the engine flat wouldnt idle unless the ac was on full blast (but that blew out hot air) brake lights were stuck on all the time the key was on (werid) ,XM radio would flip out going down the oad and turn itself way up and onto some classical station ,and the starter was staying engaged for more than 10 seconds ...it was pretty much falling apart ..but still looks and smells new , not even a door ding ...

in the end i hope a school gets it rather than it getting run into a wall ...it would serve a greater good in a teaching role ...

our new 2005 Maxx LT in light driftwood metallic with every single option(and i mean ALL) is resting confortably in our garage ...done deal ....were all relived ...but it took alot of work

Kev
03-22-05, 01:40 AM
Hey! Congrats!! You can finally put this to bed eh?
Glad GM did the right thing. Now let's hope this car is issue free. :rolleyes:

Stoneage_Caddy
03-22-05, 01:44 AM
Hey! Congrats!! You can finally put this to bed eh?
Glad GM did the right thing. Now let's hope this car is issue free. :rolleyes:
so far so good , but i havent been in the car yet ...the day we brought home the first malibu i found a issue ....so we will see what i find in my first drive/ride ...

Ralph
03-22-05, 01:46 AM
our new 2005 Maxx LT in light driftwood metallic with every single option(and i mean ALL) is resting confortably in our garage ...done deal ....were all relived ...but it took alot of work

Good deal! Nice color too! Let us know how the new one works out.

I thought maybe you'd try to get the one your GF Dagmar tested the back seat on? I think it was a light driftwood. :shhh: