: New Engine for my 89' Brougham

reelheavy
06-10-13, 03:40 PM
I am currently in the process of changing the engine in my 89' brougham, The original 307 had some head damage and still runs but is close the end of its life. And I had a for sale sign on the car when my cousin called me and told me he had found me a 472, 500, 307, 305, 350, olds 455, and the transmissions to go with them all. I snatched up the 307 for 200 bucks. I was a pure steal, it had the heads redone and was all freshened up about 7 months ago and was just looking for a new owner.

I initially wanted to get the 472 or 500 but I did not have the money needed to accommodate the bigger engine, with the trans work, engine work, and rear end. But I am tearing apart my caddy and giving it a new heart. Is there any parts or things that I should change or swap out while I am under there. And I already have the engine out??

cadillac kevin
06-10-13, 04:27 PM
I'd put an olds 403 intake on it (and 5A heads if it doesn't have them.) should wake it up a little.

lacville78
06-10-13, 04:31 PM
Make sure to put in a new transmission pump seal, engine rear main seal, the freeze plugs, and if you feel like it get the oil pan off and clean the screen and install a new gasket. Cheap stuff to do, and can prevent major work in the future.

csbuckn
06-10-13, 06:33 PM
I'd put some oiland coolant in it and check for leaks. Prime the oil pump to check pressure. We bought a rebuilt 307 and it leaked from a head bolt when we put coolant in it. What heads do you have on it?

reelheavy
06-11-13, 12:32 AM
I'd put some oiland coolant in it and check for leaks. Prime the oil pump to check pressure. We bought a rebuilt 307 and it leaked from a head bolt when we put coolant in it. What heads do you have on it?

5A heads.

cadillac kevin
06-11-13, 01:22 AM
5A heads.
yay....you got a 150 hp 307 (those 10 hp make a huge difference)

lacville78
06-11-13, 01:42 AM
I actually drove cars with all three types of 307 heads.
From my 88 brougham with 7A heads, to my 85 Riviera with the rare and elusive 6a heads (pretty much same as 7A.) To the 5A heads in another riviera. The difference between 7A and 5A is night and day!! The motor revs quicker, and pulls a bit harder with the 5A heads on it.

reelheavy
06-11-13, 03:03 PM
I'd put an olds 403 intake on it (and 5A heads if it doesn't have them.) should wake it up a little.

I was searching around for a 403 intake. But could find a reasonable priced one, in my area.

cadillac kevin
06-11-13, 03:28 PM
I was searching around for a 403 intake. But could find a reasonable priced one, in my area.

What do you consider reasonably priced? There's a few 403 powered cars in the yards here. Might be cheaper for me to purchase and ship one to you than for you to buy one locally.

reelheavy
06-11-13, 03:47 PM
What do you consider reasonably priced? There's a few 403 powered cars in the yards here. Might be cheaper for me to purchase and ship one to you than for you to buy one locally.

I left a yard this morning about 20 minutes from my house and the guy, was trying to pull a fast one on me and said $220 buck for that price I can go online and find me a brand new one.

cadillac kevin
06-11-13, 03:51 PM
I left a yard this morning about 20 minutes from my house and the guy, was trying to pull a fast one on me and said $220 buck for that price I can go online and find me a brand new one.

Damn....I could probably pull and ship one to you for $70 or so.
Btw, the edelbrock olds performer intake is the exact same thing as a 403 intake.

reelheavy
06-11-13, 03:58 PM
Damn....I could probably pull and ship one to you for $70 or so.
Btw, the edelbrock olds performer intake is the exact same thing as a 403 intake.

That sounds pretty good. Compared to $220. How long would it take for it to get to me you think? I live in Maryland about 30 minutes from the White house.

cadillac kevin
06-11-13, 04:07 PM
That sounds pretty good. Compared to $220. How long would it take for it to get to me you think? I live in Maryland about 30 minutes from the White house.

Shipping time? Usually it takes about 4 days or so to get something to the east coast. I will be going to the junkyard friday or the weekend. $70 is just an estimate. I'd have to see how much the yard charges and how much shipping is before I can commit to that price, but that should be pretty close to the cost.

reelheavy
06-11-13, 04:09 PM
Shipping time? Usually it takes about 4 days or so to get something to the east coast. I will be going to the junkyard friday or the weekend. $70 is just an estimate. I'd have to see how much the yard charges and how much shipping is before I can commit to that price, but that should be pretty close to the cost.

Ok. cool. As soon as you find out something just let me know.

cadillac kevin
06-11-13, 04:33 PM
Yard price is $22, so looks like $70 is going to be close (depends on shipping cost....don't know how much an intake weighs)