: Need a set of vinyl perimeter overlays for my headlights (DESPERATE) !

tweeter81
06-10-13, 02:25 PM
Guys,

Edit: Black color needed - gloss or matte

Does anybody have an old set of the headlight perimeter overlays that they have not installed? I'm prepared to pay someone a little more than they paid for them because I need them so bad.

My headlight tint paint is flaking and if I could find a set of these overlays I could cover up the bad area and hopefully stop the flaking.

I hope someone on here can help me out!

tweeter81
06-15-13, 10:38 AM
I can't believe there's not one person out there that has these unused overlays...

But if that is the case, does anyone have any ideas for what I could use as a homemade perimeter overlay?

RippyPartsDept
06-15-13, 01:05 PM
paint?

OneFast V
06-15-13, 02:32 PM
I can't believe there's not one person out there that has these unused overlays...

But if that is the case, does anyone have any ideas for what I could use as a homemade perimeter overlay?

plastidip maybe. wont be color matched but it would not be bad either for at least a temporary solution.

thefulmonty_07
06-15-13, 07:53 PM
Are you talking about the ones from 8th day? If so I might still have a set, but I won't be home for about 2 weeks...I'm in Afghanistan right now. I bought them about a year ago and never used them...I'm pretty sure I have them in the garage, I can check when i get home and let you know if you want.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
06-15-13, 09:09 PM
Hey man, you should get a set of the ebay dual halo lights. The black housing would look good on your car.

odthetruth
06-15-13, 09:36 PM
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/odthetruthv/2013-06-04190702_zpsc5b21efe.jpg (http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/odthetruthv/media/2013-06-04190702_zpsc5b21efe.jpg.html)

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/odthetruthv/2013-06-04193431_zpsf3b207d6.jpg (http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/odthetruthv/media/2013-06-04193431_zpsf3b207d6.jpg.html)

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/odthetruthv/2013-06-04193439_zpsa80da9d9.jpg (http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/odthetruthv/media/2013-06-04193439_zpsa80da9d9.jpg.html)

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/odthetruthv/2013-06-04193450_zps8bdd7a3e.jpg (http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/odthetruthv/media/2013-06-04193450_zps8bdd7a3e.jpg.html)

tweeter81
06-17-13, 01:11 AM
Are you talking about the ones from 8th day? If so I might still have a set, but I won't be home for about 2 weeks...I'm in Afghanistan right now. I bought them about a year ago and never used them...I'm pretty sure I have them in the garage, I can check when i get home and let you know if you want.

Sounds great, sir! thanks! And I can wait until you get back, no big deal.

----------

Hey man, you should get a set of the ebay dual halo lights. The black housing would look good on your car.

I might check those out cuz I'm getting a little tired of not being able to see at night without running with the brights on constantly.

EdmundGTP
06-18-13, 08:06 PM
Sounds great, sir! thanks! And I can wait until you get back, no big deal.

----------

I might check those out cuz I'm getting a little tired of not being able to see at night without running with the brights on constantly.

How about completely sanding off the tint and re-polishing them back to original clear??

thefulmonty_07
06-18-13, 10:29 PM
I got some HID's 8000k and it looks just as bright as it was before I got them smoked.

tweeter81
06-19-13, 04:53 PM
How about completely sanding off the tint and re-polishing them back to original clear??

I thought about that but I'm not sure i could accomplish it without messing up the light, and I'm lazy and just want an easy fix.

----------
thefulmonty_07

That's a good idea as well. It's been awhile since I've looked but how easy/hard is it to change the headlight bulbs? Does the bumper have to come off like it does for practically everything else?

EdmundGTP
06-19-13, 06:59 PM
Yes the bumper has to come off to change headlight bulbs. If overall light output is your concern, then moving up to a higher temp HID bulb will not solve any of your problems. Maximum lumen output for HID's is in the neighborhood of 4100-4500K bulb temperature. The higher you go, the less lumens you get. The resulting color of the light as it passes through your tinted lenses may "look" brighter, but you aren't getting anymore useful light.

A secondary option to your light output issue, instead of bringing your headlights back to clear, is to wire up a set of HID bulbs in your fog light housings. (Assuming they aren't heavily tinted over already as well) I have 6000K 55W HID Headlights and 6000K 35W HID foglights. With the combination of those two I NEVER EVER use my high beams.

Sounds like the original tint job is starting to crack and flake off. Even with the vinyl overlay's you'll still be able to see the cracking and chipping through the vinyl. It's not thick enough to hide surface imperfections beneath it. In order to get rid of the surface damage completely, you either have to sand it smooth, or cover it with something that's thick enough to hide it. Masking it off and painting it with plasti-dip MIGHT be thick enough to hide the problem areas. Bottom line, the BEST looking fix to your headlight finish issue is going to require sanding/polishing of some sort.

bneal1022
06-19-13, 10:59 PM
I'm the original designer of the perimeter overlay vinyl. I gave the design to 8th day as I got too much flack about mal- installation. Its not an easy job to put them on. But take time it works well. Mine still look good after 3.5 years but may need a set in a year. I suggest contacting them. I don't want to provide then since I transferred it to them. Although I could selfishly make a set but I'd rather deal with them.

I like the mask and paint job though. How does it hold up?

izcain
06-20-13, 02:53 PM
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m283/izcain/IMG_5872_zps9382b9b6.jpg (http://s107.photobucket.com/user/izcain/media/IMG_5872_zps9382b9b6.jpg.html)

Mine have been holding up fine so far using the night shades product for painting them.

thefulmonty_07
06-21-13, 07:53 PM
Yes the bumper has to come off to change headlight bulbs. If overall light output is your concern, then moving up to a higher temp HID bulb will not solve any of your problems. Maximum lumen output for HID's is in the neighborhood of 4100-4500K bulb temperature. The higher you go, the less lumens you get. The resulting color of the light as it passes through your tinted lenses may "look" brighter, but you aren't getting anymore useful light.

A secondary option to your light output issue, instead of bringing your headlights back to clear, is to wire up a set of HID bulbs in your fog light housings. (Assuming they aren't heavily tinted over already as well) I have 6000K 55W HID Headlights and 6000K 35W HID foglights. With the combination of those two I NEVER EVER use my high beams.

Sounds like the original tint job is starting to crack and flake off. Even with the vinyl overlay's you'll still be able to see the cracking and chipping through the vinyl. It's not thick enough to hide surface imperfections beneath it. In order to get rid of the surface damage completely, you either have to sand it smooth, or cover it with something that's thick enough to hide it. Masking it off and painting it with plasti-dip MIGHT be thick enough to hide the problem areas. Bottom line, the BEST looking fix to your headlight finish issue is going to require sanding/polishing of some sort.

You're right about the output, I only went with 8000k because I like bluish color to it.

----------

Is 8thday still good to order from? I've ordered from them before with no issue, but I've seen a number of posts complaining about how long they take at times or how hard they are to reach. From what I understand now is that it's pretty much hit or miss.

bneal1022
07-14-13, 09:09 PM
I made these originally and myself and a friend need a set so I'm placing an order. Will maybe get 10 sets.

Options are black or grey. Both with and without the eyebrow.

Pm me.

bneal1022
08-09-13, 04:48 PM
Ordering vinyl kits today and will be available in a few days.

Will have available:
2 sets black with out eyelids
4 sets black with eyelids
2 gray without eyelids

Doing as a highly requested favor. I'm not a business and I pay to have these made and don't have free extras for mistakes made. Please understand that. I'll work with you the best I can.

I've had mine on for almost 3.5-4 years and they held up well in northeast weather but they have only seen about 20k miles. $40 each shipped in a tube to you. I did have to trim a crease during install of one of mine. So I'm not perfect. Go slow or trim into manageable sections and splice on light. That's works too some have told me. Don't tug or pull so vinyl isn't stretched. I include the best instructions I can offer. Install at own frustration.

bneal1022
08-26-13, 09:49 PM
Hey guys

I now have 8 sets in hand.

4 black with eyebrow
2 black with out eyebrow
2 gray without eyebrow.

Pm me.

Becker
08-27-13, 09:49 AM
bneal1022: Can you pm me a picture of the with vs without on the eyebrow?

----------

Or just post them? :)

bneal1022
08-27-13, 02:24 PM
Try this. It is the original thread when I did this in 2010. Look at pages 1-4 (at least). You can see mine and a few others. Educate yourself and read the thread to determine your interest. Worked to my satisfaction and some others, but frustration for others. Doing this as a highly requested favor from several in the forum. I'm not a business. Hope this helps!!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-appearance/201291-headlight-grey-perimeter-vinyl-overlay-not.html

Becker
08-27-13, 03:34 PM
Thanks bud I will!

bneal1022
08-30-13, 08:29 PM
Thanks to the gents who picked up a few sets. post your finished work. I have the following left

1 grey without eyelid
1 black without eyelid
3 black with eyelid

carlson_mn
09-02-13, 01:03 AM
I had ordered a grey set for my silver 06. It wasn't for me as far as looks go, the grey is a bit too shiny and stands out against the headlights and compared to my silver V. On top of that I failed pretty badly at installing it so they're in the garbage now. Too bad to waste the money but now I know. I have done window tint before successfully and this was far more difficult if you're picky about results like I am. Plus I realized that in the winter I have to scrape the ice and snow off my headlights and this vinyl would be trashed in no time anyways.

The product requires trimming and slicing in addition to using a heat gun to try to shrink down the excess product over the edges of the headlights. Personally I would leave installation of this to a pro who has had the ability to practice their skills many times.

Thanks for putting it together though Neal, - your black set looks great in your pics so it can be done well of course.

bneal1022
09-02-13, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I will not argue with you. It is not easy. Even on mine I did have to seam twice. So mine are flawless. But for 3.5 years it has fit the bill. I was bale to tuck excess if any around sides or under rubber strip. I don't have to scrape my headlight Even in central PA so that is unfortunate.

I appreciate your working with me even if the results didn't satisfy. I've been trying to find a less expensive shop. So far the results are 50/50.

I was thinking about doing mine again but they don't look worn at all so I'll leave as is.

For those that want to try. Still have set.

bneal1022
11-03-13, 10:05 PM
If anyone is still interested I still have several sets I'm moving out.

3 black with the eyelid
1 black without the eyelid
1 gray without the eyelid.

Fuzzy logic. Tried to reply but your box is full. I've been out if the country.

FuzzyLogic
11-03-13, 10:22 PM
Sorry, I'm out.