: Resetting Change Oil Message

jonrodman
09-18-03, 11:33 PM
Hi,
I am a new 96 STS owner. My books have not arrived from Amazon yet. I am about to change the oil and have a message on the dash to Change Oil.

How do I reset that message so it goes off and comes back on at the recommended interval?

Also, I am changing the blower motor and the Plastic Cover that the blower motor screws through and which covers the A/C unit has decayed and is flaking away. I am considering changing it. They cost $110 from the dealer. Is it possible to replace this piece without removing the engine?

Jon

FirstTimeCaddy
09-19-03, 01:02 PM
To reset the oil change indicator, make sure the oil message is displayed...then just hold down the reset info button for 10 seconds and it will go away, as the same for the oil life percentage.

Brett

jonrodman
09-20-03, 01:54 AM
To reset the oil change indicator, make sure the oil message is displayed...then just hold down the reset info button for 10 seconds and it will go away, as the same for the oil life percentage.

Brett

Thanks Brett,
That worked. I was holding down the big Info button in the middle then pressing the info reset button. All that was necessary was the info reset button.

Also, Eight Quarts of Mobil 1 10W30 and a Mobil 1 Filter. Like someone said - "It has a big stomach".

Thanks,
Jon

jonrodman
09-28-03, 05:22 PM
Thanks Brett,
That worked. I was holding down the big Info button in the middle then pressing the info reset button. All that was necessary was the info reset button.

Also, Eight Quarts of Mobil 1 10W30 and a Mobil 1 Filter. Like someone said - "It has a big stomach".

Thanks,
Jon

Update on changing the Blower motor and Plastic cover.
Apparently it can be done easily if the front two engine cradle bolts are removed and the engine and transmission are allowed to drop a few inches. This opens up a space between the engine and firewall apparently creating sufficient clearance to remove the Blower motor and the plastic cover.

I am going to give it a try within a couple weeks.
Jon