: How to shift out of Park with engine not running?

Vernon Cooke
06-10-13, 08:52 AM
Just curious, but is it possible to shift the automatic transmission out of Park and into neutral if the engine won't start?
This seems like an obvious requirement to move a stranded vehicle.

MASCAD
06-10-13, 09:24 AM
As per section 9 in the owners manual:

This vehicle is equipped with an
electronic shift lock release system.
The shift lock release is designed to
prevent movement of the shift lever
out of P (Park), unless the ignition is
in ON/RUN or ACC/ACCESSORY
and the brake pedal is applied.
The shift lock release is always
functional except in the case of an
uncharged or low voltage (less than
9 volt) battery.
If the vehicle has an uncharged
battery or a battery with low voltage,
try charging or jump starting the
battery. See Jump Starting on
page 10‑73.

Bertha D Blues
06-10-13, 01:46 PM
So, you disconnect the battery and then shift to neutral?

MASCAD
06-10-13, 02:39 PM
So, you disconnect the battery and then shift to neutral?

What they are saying that since the device is electrical, you must have the battery connected (and charged) to get it out of park. Once that is accomplished, the battery can be disconnected if you want.

Dave3283
06-10-13, 03:02 PM
Why do you have to shift it out of park to change the battery?

Bertha D Blues
06-11-13, 08:45 AM
What they are saying that since the device is electrical, you must have the battery connected (and charged) to get it out of park. Once that is accomplished, the battery can be disconnected if you want.
Got it. I misunderstood when I first read that. The manual also states on page 9-22 "Turn the ignition to ON/RUN or
ACC/ACCESSORY" to shift out of park. I tried this with ACC on (engine off) but that didn't work. Bert

Vernon Cooke
06-11-13, 09:54 AM
Section 9 of the manual is correct, but also assumes the engine is running. My ATS is locked in Park without a running motor. Dealer has not been much help.

MASCAD
06-11-13, 11:44 AM
Section 9 of the manual is correct, but also assumes the engine is running. My ATS is locked in Park without a running motor. Dealer has not been much help.

I"ll have to try this on the ATS but on my '11 CTS this procedure does work even if the engine isn't running. The write up in both manuals is exactly the same BTW.

MASCAD
06-11-13, 08:49 PM

You are absolutely correct; this procedure does not work in the ATS like it does in the CTS. The wording in both manuals is exactly the same and states that the shift lock release is always functional except in the case of an uncharged or low voltage battery. It does not say anything about the engine running and in fact implies that it doesn’t have to be since it states it will work in the ACC/ ACCESSORY position. Is it possible to get to that position with the engine running.??? I kind of think that it is intended to work without the engine running since as the OP stated how could a stranded vehicle be moved? It looks like maybe there is something missing in the software for one of the control modules.

Has the dealer managed to get yours out of park yet?

M5eater
06-13-13, 08:27 AM
That would be...annoying.

Vernon Cooke
06-19-13, 11:11 PM
I contacted Cadillac headquarters about this shift into neutral issue. Working with my dealer, they figured it out.
Press the Engine Start/Stop button until button illumination changes to green (about 10 seconds).
Release the button. Then press the brake and the transmission will shift out of neutral.
Cadillac says the procedure will be included in future manuals.

MASCAD
06-20-13, 07:51 AM
Very good detective work. Looks like they just carried over the CTS proccedure to the ATS manual without actually testing it to see if it worked.

ontogenesis
06-21-13, 09:50 AM
I contacted Cadillac headquarters about this shift into neutral issue. Working with my dealer, they figured it out.
Press the Engine Start/Stop button until button illumination changes to green (about 10 seconds).
Release the button. Then press the brake and the transmission will shift out of neutral.

Good information to have, thanks Vernon for tracking down this procedure!

73JPS
06-28-13, 08:47 AM
Very good detective work. Looks like they just carried over the CTS proccedure to the ATS manual without actually testing it to see if it worked.

It's possible they have done lots of cut-and-paste with this Owner's Manual: it certainly isn't a very good document.

I am glad to see that the "shift out of park with the engine not running" mystery has been resolved though: interesting stuff.

M5eater
06-28-13, 09:04 AM

Thanks a lot of that, I found myself ironicly comming back to my post, and this thread when I wanted to move the car a few inches up in the garage.