: Considering ordering a 6spd Vagon...couple questions

opposite locker
06-10-13, 03:05 AM
So I've been unsuccessfully looking for a used Vagon with 6mt trans (that isn't black, which they all seem to be), so now considering ordering an new one. Got a couple questions regarding available options. How I'm planning on building it us far:

-opulent blue metallic (not the lowest key color, but reminds me of two of my favorites - BMW's topaz blue & lemans blue)

-grey leather

-recaro seats (of course)

-either silver or polished wheels...not sure if the polished is worth the extra $800. Thoughts?

-wood trim? Does the car come with standard wood, or only when the midnite sapele option is added?

-silver calipers

-Sunroof? Have read a lot about the ultra view roof squeaking, but not much about e standard roof. Have they fixed the larger UV roof yet, or am I better off going standard? Even thought about doing the roof delete, but think I'd like that option on a $60k+ car

-steering wheel & knob - seems like most of these come with the suede. I am not a huge fan of suede in a DD as it seemed to wear quickly on some BMW models I've seen (m3, 330 zhp). What are your thought on suede...worth it? How does it wear? Leaning towards standard leather at this point.

First post on this forum, and hope it won't be my last. Have always wanted a crazy fast but somewhat low profile rwd station wagon with a manual trans, and still surprised that it's Cadillac that first made it available to us in the States. Still looking for a reasonable priced used 6mt wagon that isn't black, but not holding my breath anymore...

thanks for any input

Random84
06-10-13, 07:09 AM
-opulent blue metallic (not the lowest key color, but reminds me of two of my favorites - BMW's topaz blue & lemans blue) It looks good and is actually pretty subdued except for direct sunlight, where the metallic flake pops more.

-grey leather

-recaro seats (of course) Of course.

-either silver or polished wheels...not sure if the polished is worth the extra $800. Thoughts? I thought the wheel option was for chrome - but that could have changed. I went with the base/painted silver wheels and IMHO they look fantastic, but the "satin" wheels are probably the most popular in this body style right now.

-wood trim? Does the car come with standard wood, or only when the midnite sapele option is added? Standard is a faux carbon-looking gray trim; the maplewood would probably look better but it is a pricey addition. I say that as a guy with the standard trim.

-silver calipers

-Sunroof? Have read a lot about the ultra view roof squeaking, but not much about e standard roof. Have they fixed the larger UV roof yet, or am I better off going standard? Even thought about doing the roof delete, but think I'd like that option on a $60k+ car To my knowledge, the Ultraview is just the name they use to describe the sunroof - which is rather large and nice. There is no alternative to it, aside from no sunroof at all. My wife's wagon has it, it works great and we've had no issues.

-steering wheel & knob - seems like most of these come with the suede. I am not a huge fan of suede in a DD as it seemed to wear quickly on some BMW models I've seen (m3, 330 zhp). What are your thought on suede...worth it? How does it wear? Leaning towards standard leather at this point. The suede/alacantra wears fine - cleaning it occasionally helps restore life. It IS slippery in a way (poor grip relative to leather), however - and takes some getting used to. It looks great though.

Opulent Blue in direct sunlight:

In overcast/gray conditions:

(2013 Opulent 6MN, titanium interior, suede package, red calipers, painted/silver wheels, no sunroof)

dcc8203
06-10-13, 08:44 AM
I ordered my Vagon without the sunroof option. With my bald head I very rarely use a sunroof and to me it is just a leak and a squeak waiting to happen.

The suede is great; don't be afraid.

ptrd
06-10-13, 11:06 AM
No red/yellow calipers?

I wish mine had yellow calipers (black raven).

Xaqtly
06-10-13, 11:39 AM
-opulent blue metallic (not the lowest key color, but reminds me of two of my favorites - BMW's topaz blue & lemans blue) - Yes, do it

-grey leather - sure

-recaro seats (of course) - yes

-either silver or polished wheels...not sure if the polished is worth the extra $800. Thoughts? - Graphite.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/svoman2300/Cadillac.png

-wood trim? Does the car come with standard wood, or only when the midnite sapele option is added? - It's an extra. I have it, and I like it a lot.

-silver calipers - With Opulent Blue I'd say red, or yellow as a second choice.

-Sunroof? Have read a lot about the ultra view roof squeaking, but not much about e standard roof. Have they fixed the larger UV roof yet, or am I better off going standard? Even thought about doing the roof delete, but think I'd like that option on a $60k+ car - I have the sunroof, mine cracks when it's hot but it's fine when it's cold, it doesn't leak and I have it tinted. My issue with it is that it reduces headroom to the point that my head is almost touching the ceiling with the seat all the way down on the floor. That's fine for the most part but there's no way I'd be able to wear a helmet and maintain a good driving position. If I had the choice I would have gotten mine without the sunroof.

-steering wheel & knob - seems like most of these come with the suede. I am not a huge fan of suede in a DD as it seemed to wear quickly on some BMW models I've seen (m3, 330 zhp). What are your thought on suede...worth it? How does it wear? Leaning towards standard leather at this point. - Get it. It gets dirty but it's easy to clean. I've really come to enjoy mine.

Trapspeed
06-10-13, 02:03 PM
OBM is just badass....period. One of my favorite blues since Admiral Blue on a Corvette.

MacBuster
06-10-13, 02:33 PM
The sunroof is relatively quiet compared to some Cadillacs. I had a 2006 and a 2008 SRX, with ultraviews in both. Those were very noisy. The V has a smaller ultraview than the SRX, and it's much quieter. (The SRX roof was an absolute monster.)

sierrabenz
06-10-13, 02:59 PM
I've had my wagon (OB, manual, recaros, no roof, no wood, with light interior, suede, graphite wheels, and red calipers -- almost exactly what you are considering) for about two and a half months now. It just passed 2K miles (been out of the country twice since I've had it, so it hasn't been used daily). Could not be happier with it. If I had to change anything, it would be the nav system, but even that is much better than the one in our 2008 MB CLS (but its not as easy to use as the nav in our F250). Love the acceleration on freeway onramps.... I did debadge it, so it is even more of a sleeper. And I have gotten a number of "thumbs up" from those in the know....

jsherid1
06-10-13, 04:49 PM
I went without the Ultraview on my 2013 TGM M6 Vwagon and have not really missed it. I did go with the Sapele wood trim and am glad I did--makes the interior feel much richer in my view. I love this vehicle!

Gman1023
06-10-13, 08:32 PM
I've had my OBM Vagon for almost 3 weeks and the color still looks different every time I look at it. It really does pop differently in every light. IMO, I'm driving the perfect car (Recaros, black wheels, grey calipers, wood, suede, no roof).

-Ultraview - by all accounts it's a nice roof. As anyone who has ever had any car with a sunroof can attest, when the car flexes in certain ways it will creak. No big deal but some people like to get their panties in a bunch over it. Keep in mind it has no opaque shade however. I'm a fairly pale skinned guy so that is a deal breaker right there. The right half of my face hurts just thinking about it. It can make wearing a helmet a challenge if you're taller than average. For all of the above reasons I ordered without it and I don't miss it. I had a sunroof on my last car and used it every chance I could, but in this car I really don't miss it at all.

-The wood looks great. It's $800 on a $70k car. It really is much better than staring at the fake carbon fiber.

-Recaros: I can't imagine the car without them. The basic seats are nice and comfortable but they are not performance seats. It'd be like having a park bench in your living room to watch football from. Wrong tool for the job.

-interior: matter of taste. Mine's black. I like black interiors. Everyone who has the light interior raves about it so I would say you can't go wrong.

-Wheels: with 15" brake rotors good luck keeping your light wheels clean. I went for satin graphite and couldn't be happier. I'm not someone who wants to be washing wheels weekly. OBM looks great with any combo however so find what you like and buy it. You will be happy you did!

hakalugi
06-10-13, 09:33 PM
agreed on the wheels. i'm happy the dark graphite is my setup, thanks to being able to not be annoyed at the brake dust on them (they hide it well).

sunroof - i'm glad i got it. i'm 90/10 on them. i hate sun coming in the top of my sun-glasses, so i keep the shade closed most of the time during the day. but there are times, at night/dusk when opening the windows and sunroof is just tops.

Trapspeed
06-10-13, 09:43 PM
I've had my OBM Vagon for almost 3 weeks and the color still looks different every time I look at it. It really does pop differently in every light. IMO, I'm driving the perfect car (Recaros, black wheels, grey calipers, wood, suede, no roof).

-Ultraview - by all accounts it's a nice roof. As anyone who has ever had any car with a sunroof can attest, when the car flexes in certain ways it will creak. No big deal but some people like to get their panties in a bunch over it. Keep in mind it has no opaque shade however. I'm a fairly pale skinned guy so that is a deal breaker right there. The right half of my face hurts just thinking about it. It can make wearing a helmet a challenge if you're taller than average. For all of the above reasons I ordered without it and I don't miss it. I had a sunroof on my last car and used it every chance I could, but in this car I really don't miss it at all.

-The wood looks great. It's $800 on a $70k car. It really is much better than staring at the fake carbon fiber.

-Recaros: I can't imagine the car without them. The basic seats are nice and comfortable but they are not performance seats. It'd be like having a park bench in your living room to watch football from. Wrong tool for the job.

-interior: matter of taste. Mine's black. I like black interiors. Everyone who has the light interior raves about it so I would say you can't go wrong.

-Wheels: with 15" brake rotors good luck keeping your light wheels clean. I went for satin graphite and couldn't be happier. I'm not someone who wants to be washing wheels weekly. OBM looks great with any combo however so find what you like and buy it. You will be happy you did!

Good stuff. Will you be driving it in the winter? Just wait!

opposite locker
06-11-13, 02:13 AM
Thanks guys...great info! Some additional comments/questions:

Brake calipers - gonna stay silver, but may redo them in a matching opulent-ish shade of blue at some point. Going for a bit of a lower profile, and though they look great on the vehicle, red/yellow calipers really stick out.

Wood trim - don't think it looks all that great from the pics, but fake carbon fiber would be one of those things that annoys me every time I sit in the car. So guess its worth the extra for fake-looking real wood

Sunroof - is there actually a standard sunroof? Or is it ultra-view or nothing? Definitely want a sunroof, so if UV is the only option, will have to check that box

Steering wheel/knob - gonna stay with regular leather. Prefer the cooler feel vs suede, and the leather will be easier to clean.

Wheels - now really undecided here. I've always preferred silver/polished or bronze wheels on a blue car, but damn those black wheels look mean. And the brake dust argument is a good one. Decisions...

Gman1023
06-11-13, 07:04 PM
Sunroof - is there actually a standard sunroof? Or is it ultra-view or nothing? Definitely want a sunroof, so if UV is the only option, will have to check that box

It's Ultraview or nothing. I would probably have popped for the standard sunroof if it was an option.

Good stuff. Will you be driving it in the winter? Just wait!

I'm planning to! It's either that or I go buy a cheap second car. Either way I'll be driving this regularly in winter, just on the more fair-weather days.

Jinx
06-11-13, 11:47 PM
Recaros: I have them. They're very cool. Fantastic lateral support. But... a friend of mine hates them, and he's not crazy. He doesn't like that the front of the seat is so much higher than the back. In the lowest position he feels like his legs dangle. Level the seat out by raising the back and he feels like he's sitting on a tall stool. And the side bolsters make them kinda hard to get in and out of. I see his points. I feel a skosh higher up in the car than I'd like, which wouldn't be an issue, except...

Sunroof: I have it. It's very cool. Huge glass, really opens up the car. But... the shade is a thin translucent fabric. So it doesn't absorb any sound and if you DON'T want a warm glow overhead you'll need to wear a hat. And it does steal an inch from the headroom. And I have to tell you... I'm 5'10" and even with the Recaro on the floor and NO sunroof I had to scrunch down to wear a helmet. I know if I ever track my own car I'm going to have to be a little more leaned back and a little further from the steering wheel than I'd like, which wouldn't be an issue, except...

Microfiber steering wheel and shifter: I have them. They're very cool. They feel luxurious and inviting. But... the microfiber is more slippery than leather. I know that sounds wrong, but it's true. It's not an issue for the shifter but it's problematic for me for the steering wheel. Maybe if you're a 9-and-3 never-move-your-hands driver all the time and you leverage the spokes, or you just like gripping the wheel, you won't notice. But I drive 8-and-4 with a light touch (much less strain which is important for this former RSI sufferer) and it's really messing me up.

Polished wheels: I have them. They're very cool. But... I have a Black Raven wagon and the polished being close to chrome presents a classic look; I think the silver would look dull and seem out of place. OTOH I think Opulent Blue can wear any of the three wheels and look just fine, because the blue is so BLUE that jewelry won't distract from it and a more subdued look won't subtract from it. I do think brake dust is more noticeable sooner on the polished wheels, but if you cared about not showing dirt you wouldn't be getting Opulent Blue :)

Wood: I didn't get it. I don't miss it. The base trim is silver with a black cross-hatch pattern. It doesn't look like carbon fiber, and more importantly, it doesn't look like it's trying to look like carbon fiber. Call it CF-inspired. I suppose some might think it looks cheap, but I think it's fine. The mix of this silver stuff and gloss black comes across a little distracted, but IMHO the wood (which can be a lot more brown than appears in some photos) might look more expensive but doesn't look any more cohesive. If I decide to put the car under the knife for audio enhancement, I'll probably paint the trim or get it wrapped to give the interior a different look.

I look forward to seeing photos of your new ride when you get it.

.Jinx

thebigjimsho
06-12-13, 09:07 AM
I do wish I had the midnight sapele.

In my hands, the microfiber is much grippier than leather.

If your friends felt like his legs dangled, for me that feeling is eliminated by using the thigh extenders...

Chrispy
06-12-13, 10:38 AM
So I've been unsuccessfully looking for a used Vagon with 6mt trans (that isn't black, which they all seem to be), so now considering ordering an new one. Got a couple questions regarding available options. How I'm planning on building it us far:

-opulent blue metallic (not the lowest key color, but reminds me of two of my favorites - BMW's topaz blue & lemans blue)
awesome

-grey leather
Nice, I prefer ebony personally as it keeps looking clean longer

-recaro seats (of course)
I have base seats, wish I went with Recaros in hindsight

-either silver or polished wheels...not sure if the polished is worth the extra $800. Thoughts?
Get the Satin Graphite hands down. Also get the yellow calipers, it'll look amazing with that color

-wood trim? Does the car come with standard wood, or only when the midnite sapele option is added?
standard trim is not wood and looks good. I would NOT recommend midnight sapele personally due to how easily it is scratched

-silver calipers
Yellow is the best imo :)
-Sunroof? Have read a lot about the ultra view roof squeaking, but not much about e standard roof. Have they fixed the larger UV roof yet, or am I better off going standard? Even thought about doing the roof delete, but think I'd like that option on a $60k+ car
There is only one sunroof option. Personally I'd skip it...it's 80plus pounds weight on the roof and it's a PITA with a helmet on in the car if you ever lap/autocross/dragrace

-steering wheel & knob - seems like most of these come with the suede. I am not a huge fan of suede in a DD as it seemed to wear quickly on some BMW models I've seen (m3, 330 zhp). What are your thought on suede...worth it? How does it wear? Leaning towards standard leather at this point.
The suede feels like your holding a dead seal / pelt after a few thousand miles. I chose the standard setup with mine which looks/feels great

First post on this forum, and hope it won't be my last. Have always wanted a crazy fast but somewhat low profile rwd station wagon with a manual trans, and still surprised that it's Cadillac that first made it available to us in the States. Still looking for a reasonable priced used 6mt wagon that isn't black, but not holding my breath anymore...

You'll love the car it is a total blast, rare and looks awesome.
thanks for any input

Jinx
06-12-13, 11:05 AM
In my hands, the microfiber is much grippier than leather. Maybe your skin is rougher than mine. Maybe under the full wrap of a big deal man's hand the microfiber provides more grip. I just know I could steer a leather wheel with one finger on the outside of the rim, and when I try such a casually-Cadillac land yacht guidance technique with my microfiber wheel it slips.

If your friends felt like his legs dangled, for me that feeling is eliminated by using the thigh extenders... Actually he was looking for a way to shorten the seat depth but the thigh extenders were all the way in. Everyone else of both genders and multiple sizes has been effusive about the seats.

I think if you're particular about sitting low and flat, sports-car / old-Detroit style, you may not like the seats. I don't know if the base seats do any better in this regard, but I've read they go a little lower.

I humbly suggest that, if you have a significant other who's going to road trip with you, have them test out the seats before you order them. That way you'll have plenty of time to shop for a new significant other :)

.Jinx

miroad
06-13-13, 01:29 PM
I humbly suggest that, if you have a significant other who's going to road trip with you, have them test out the seats before you order them. That way you'll have plenty of time to shop for a new significant other

.Jinx

Now that had me laughing out loud! I'm negotiating right now with a local dealer to order a 2014 Obsession Red Vagon with black leather, Recaros, yellow calipers and sunroof - 6 speed (of course). I'm ambivalent about the Recaros - I like the support but don't like the microfiber suede. I currently have a 2010 Sport Wagon (red-Premier) and like the leather steering wheel so am skipping the microfiber wheel and shift knob. The leather seats on my 2010 are nice but don't give any bolster support. I hope I don't regret ordering the Recaro seats.

stl_ls1gto
06-14-13, 08:22 AM
Now that had me laughing out loud! I'm negotiating right now with a local dealer to order a 2014 Obsession Red Vagon with black leather, Recaros, yellow calipers and sunroof - 6 speed (of course). I'm ambivalent about the Recaros - I like the support but don't like the microfiber suede. I currently have a 2010 Sport Wagon (red-Premier) and like the leather steering wheel so am skipping the microfiber wheel and shift knob. The leather seats on my 2010 are nice but don't give any bolster support. I hope I don't regret ordering the Recaro seats.[/QUOTE]

Don't mean this in a bad way, but if you are a large dude, or have any kind of back problems, arthritis, etc - those are the guys who complain about the recaros typically.

Jinx
06-14-13, 09:43 AM
You don't have to be skinny to like the Recaros. But if you're not, you do have to like side bolsters constantly reminding you that you don't want fries with that. And skinny or not the Recaros make entry/exit more of an effort.

thebigjimsho
06-14-13, 12:47 PM
I'm. Not. Skinny.

I don't think I need to restate my opinion on the Recaros...

Xaqtly
06-14-13, 03:11 PM
The Recaros have much more adjustability, so there's a better chance the recaros will fit you better than the standard seats, if you put the time into getting them adjusted properly. it took me a couple months to get mine just right.

JFJr
06-14-13, 03:38 PM
The Recaros have much more adjustability, so there's a better chance the recaros will fit you better than the standard seats, if you put the time into getting them adjusted properly. it took me a couple months to get mine just right.

Yes, and thank God for the memory function if someone else monkeys with the seats. I think that the bolster bladder adjustments change slightly over time because of temperature and leakage; too bad there is no memory for them.

Jud

miroad
06-18-13, 09:27 PM
Soooo - I ended up ordering the Obsession Red manual Vagon with both the Recaros and microfiber wheel/shifter. I test drove one and really liked the width and feel of the sueded wheel. I've read in other posts that some V coupes have already been produced. However, the info I've found suggests that Vagon production won't start until September. I very much hope it's wrong.

Random84
06-19-13, 07:53 AM
You will definitely NOT regret ordering the Recaros. It's just simply Night and Day (my wife's Wagon has the base seats, I drive her car often). The Recaros are honestly one of the high points of the car - the other two being the power and the handling. :D We all don't always have to agree, but as for the steering wheel: the suede is slipperier than the leather. The leather wheel is arguably softer (more compressive) to my dainty girl-like grip, but I still like the suede enough for its presentation that I would order it again.

I am always shocked at how much the base CTS cars suck (relative to the V) when I drive the "other" wagon.

Jinx
06-19-13, 11:24 AM
I am always shocked at how much the base CTS cars suck (relative to the V) when I drive the "other" wagon.

I would love it if you started a new thread comparing your two CTS's. I'm surprised that there's much different, obvious mechanical upgrades aside.

Random84
06-19-13, 11:39 AM
I would love it if you started a new thread comparing your two CTS's. I'm surprised that there's much different, obvious mechanical upgrades aside.

If that's helpful for someone, I guess I could do that. As similar as they are, they feel completely different to drive...

maybe I will write it up - but don't expect anything outside of the obvious. :D

krikiter
06-19-13, 01:27 PM

I like this color very much, although I went with Black Diamond, because I evidently can NOT buy a car in any color other than black. I've tried, doesn't happen.

-grey leather
Same here. Scuffs show a bit on some of the trim pieces, but they clean up easily and the interior definitely stays a bit cooler. Overall, glad I went with grey instead of black.

-recaro seats (of course) Yes, of course. Overall very comfortable, although the seat pan bolsters tend to chafe on me if I'm driving more than a couple hours. In the end, one of the few nonpowertrain-related highlights of the car and worth every penny.

-either silver or polished wheels...not sure if the polished is worth the extra $800. Thoughts? I have polished wheels and I love them. It's more of a classic look than the graphite wheels. My biggest reason was durability: no paint to chip or scratch. You can see break dust sooner, but they clean up great.

-wood trim? Does the car come with standard wood, or only when the midnite sapele option is added? I have it and I love it. Faux trim of any sort is annoying to me and the wood definitely dresses up the interior. Kind of moot anyway, because no matter which trim you go with, your biggest complaint will be the piano black trim anyway.

-silver calipers Same here, again. I have painted calipers on my Challenger, didn't see any reason to go with painted calipers on this car, since I'm trying to go with more of a 'grown-up', luxury look.

-Sunroof? Have read a lot about the ultra view roof squeaking, but not much about e standard roof. Have they fixed the larger UV roof yet, or am I better off going standard? Even thought about doing the roof delete, but think I'd like that option on a $60k+ car. Same here, and no issues with it so far.

-steering wheel & knob - seems like most of these come with the suede. I am not a huge fan of suede in a DD as it seemed to wear quickly on some BMW models I've seen (m3, 330 zhp). What are your thought on suede...worth it? How does it wear? Leaning towards standard leather at this point. I'm 3,000 miles in, and my suede is starting to mat a bit, but it doesn't bother me. It sounds like you already have your mind made up, so going with leather may be a better option. Then again, if you get the suede and it ends up wearing, I've heard you may be able to get a standard leather wheel and shift knob if you complain enough to your dealer.

Agreed, it's the automotive equivalent of a unicorn. Get it while you can.

thanks for any input

See answers above.

opposite locker
07-05-13, 09:43 PM
Placed the order (though dealership isn't able to yet with GM) -

Opulent blue metallic
Grey leather
Recaro seats
Sunroof
wood trim
Leather wheel (no suede)
Graphite wheels (still up in the air about this one...go graphite or standard silver and powder coat a dark bronze)
Slver calipers

Hope they get to place the order soon and get this thing built!

Jinx
07-05-13, 10:32 PM
From this thread:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-general/307681-2014-cts-vs-already-produced-showing.html
bbradyc5 got a TPW of 2013-09-23, so it looks like you'll be waiting until September or later.

bbradyc5
07-05-13, 11:20 PM
^yup...see above. You are looking at an October delivery for any '14 Wagon. Good taste though, ordered nearly same options as you except I went red calipers and suede

neuronbob
07-05-13, 11:25 PM
Placed the order (though dealership isn't able to yet with GM) -

Opulent blue metallic
Grey leather
Recaro seats
Sunroof
wood trim
Leather wheel (no suede)
Graphite wheels (still up in the air about this one...go graphite or standard silver and powder coat a dark bronze)
Slver calipers

Hope they get to place the order soon and get this thing built!

Congrats on the rider and condolences on the wait you are about to endure.