: Broken Spoiler

justindu
01-31-05, 10:54 AM
So my idoit father-in-law was helping me push my Catera and he broke the spoiler in two. The mount is fine, but the spolier acutally separated from itself at the mount. Any ideas how I could patch this up? Is there a certain type of glue I could use?

Vesicant
01-31-05, 05:08 PM
Maybe some clear epoxy? The stuff in dual tubes thats multipurpose. You mix it in say a paper cup and it starts creating the epoxy. Good ol' Chemical reaction. Hardens very nicely. Kinda like this: clickhere (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0646339647.1107209012@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdfadddkejhimecgelceffdfgidgll.0&MID=9876) Im not sure though if it would hurt the paint on the spoiler. I bet you could get it on carefully though.

I would say bondo... but thats not really for structual and youd have to paint it.

Anything but duct tape LOL :xgrin: :banghead2

Timelode
01-31-05, 05:20 PM
You could also try clear silicon sealer. I've used it on all sorts of stuff that needed to take a beating and it generally works good.

stevehogan
01-31-05, 08:16 PM
Ace Hardware carries a two-part epoxy that is especially designed for hard-to-bond plastics. It comes in one of those dual-hypo type of packages. Not the "general purpose" or "fast" stuff - it's called "Plastic Repair Epoxy." It cures clear and does a REALLY good job on hard-to-bond materials. Let it cure for a day before you do anything. If you are REALLY careful, you can put JUST ENOUGH into the break so that it doesn't squeeze out but still fills the joint. Then no painting will be needed - or just a touchup of the joint with an fine artist's brush. :thumbsup:

By the way, regarding your idiot FIL, why did your Catera need pushing, anyway? :o

SH

Madcat SS
02-01-05, 01:11 AM
By the way, regarding your idiot FIL, why did your Catera need pushing, anyway? :o

SH

Ooh, can I answer this one? It seems that these cars were designed specifically for the purpose of riding on the back of a flatbed.:p

MADCAT

justindu
02-01-05, 10:09 AM
Thanks guys! I will try the stuff from Ace.

See my post "Won't stay runnning" for details as to why it was being pushed! :)

justindu
02-03-05, 07:46 AM
The stuff from Ace worked like a charm! Thanks again!