: *** Rear Brake Issue. Need some advice ******

OneLuv1979
06-09-13, 01:37 PM
OK bought this 04 Escalade about a month ago. The seller had just taken it to the caddy dealer and had the rear brakes done and changed all fluids.

Well I have slowly developed a noise out of Drivers side rear brake.

I know when calipers are pushed open to fit new pads they sometime stick btut this sounds more like something dragging or maybe a warped rotor. I don't know.
I do know that they just did the back brakes.

I Need to fix it ASAP. Just looking for some insight on what my next step should be.

Should I just go ahead and replace the caliper or what?????

Just uploaded a small video to youtube...
Here is the link (hope its working)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m1LHPWvS78

mikedyk43
06-09-13, 02:45 PM
It sounds like the rotor scraping the brake pad. If the rotor was straight, it would either not be scraping or constantly scraping. I suggest taking the rear rotors to your local autoparts place and have them turned (resurfaced and straightened). It will cost about $25 per rotor and should solve your problem. If the rotor is warped you should be able to feel a slight vibration while braking. It would be more noticeable at higher speeds and would get worse over time.

the cadillac man
06-09-13, 02:49 PM
OK bought this 04 Escalade about a month ago. The seller had just taken it to the caddy dealer and had the rear brakes done and changed all fluids.

Well I have slowly developed a noise out of Drivers side rear brake.

I know when calipers are pushed open to fit new pads they sometime stick btut this sounds more like something dragging or maybe a warped rotor. I don't know.
I do know that they just did the back brakes.

I Need to fix it ASAP. Just looking for some insight on what my next step should be.

Should I just go ahead and replace the caliper or what?????

Just uploaded a small video to youtube...
Here is the link (hope its working)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m1LHPWvS78

That is the sound of the chrome plating on the rim peeling and hitting the brake caliper remove the rim(s) and remove the peeling chrome and the noise will go away
I get this myself from time to time(likely to stop at some point as my rims don't have much chrome plating left on the inside)

OneLuv1979
06-09-13, 03:19 PM
The odd thing is it seems to go away once the vehicle moves faster. Maybe the wind noise blocks it... I dunno gonna jack it up now and take a look. Thanks

----------

The rotors were just turned at the dealership.

OneLuv1979
06-09-13, 04:29 PM
That is the sound of the chrome plating on the rim peeling and hitting the brake caliper remove the rim(s) and remove the peeling chrome and the noise will go away
I get this myself from time to time(likely to stop at some point as my rims don't have much chrome plating left on the inside)

Dude you are are the MAN..

Sure enough I pulled the wheel off and inspected things everything looked good so I removed the chrome that was lifting and the sound is gone....

I TRULY APPRECIATE THE HELP!!
I was about to buy a rotor and caliper, and the sound would have still been there.
Never thought about the chrome. This forum rocks!!

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j435/cstrigl/ladewheelrust.jpg (http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/cstrigl/media/ladewheelrust.jpg.html)

the cadillac man
06-09-13, 05:37 PM
Dude you are are the MAN..

Sure enough I pulled the wheel off and inspected things everything looked good so I removed the chrome that was lifting and the sound is gone....

I TRULY APPRECIATE THE HELP!!
I was about to buy a rotor and caliper, and the sound would have still been there.
Never thought about the chrome. This forum rocks!!

That is a lot
Btw sweet regal

Glad to hear you didn't replace unneeded parts before you found out the source of the noise

OneLuv1979
06-09-13, 09:37 PM
Thanks the regal is my weekend driver but since the escalade purchase it has not moved at all.
I enjoy driving the Lade and it gets better gas mileage then the regal...

Thanks again. Forums like these have saved me so many times.

the cadillac man
06-10-13, 03:30 AM
Thanks the regal is my weekend driver but since the escalade purchase it has not moved at all.
I enjoy driving the Lade and it gets better gas mileage then the regal...

Thanks again. Forums like these have saved me so many times.

Sounds like my 79 chrysler cordoba(I am restoring it since it is a classic) trying to get teal green paint is not hard just not cheap(close to 200 for a gallon)