: Do 2010+ 3.6L engines still suffer timing chain issues?

Guy.Seminerio
06-09-13, 02:54 AM
In the STS forums someone is looking at picking up a v6 STS. The timing chain issues have been brought up and the buyer is being encouraged to go v8. I brought up that in 2010 the 3.6 in the cts had a few minor changes, notably a change from 2 to 1 accessory drive belt. This happened to improve fuel economy but was apparently supposed to address timing chain issues as well.
First question, are 2010+ CTS owners experiencing timing chain issues?
Next, does anyone happen to know for a fact whether this modification to the engine was applied to 2010+ STSs as well?
Thanks a lot.

gohawks63
06-09-13, 09:36 AM
In the STS forums someone is looking at picking up a v6 STS. The timing chain issues have been brought up and the buyer is being encouraged to go v8. I brought up that in 2010 the 3.6 in the cts had a few minor changes, notably a change from 2 to 1 accessory drive belt. This happened to improve fuel economy but was apparently supposed to address timing chain issues as well.
First question, are 2010+ CTS owners experiencing timing chain issues?
Next, does anyone happen to know for a fact whether this modification to the engine was applied to 2010+ STSs as well?
Thanks a lot.

I do believe they were resolved via a recall with the older models and it is no longer an issue with the newer ones.

jeffc83
06-09-13, 10:54 AM
Gohawks63 is correct. (they reprogrammed the ECM) They also extended the warranty for the timing chain to 10 years 120k miles on my 08 so it shouldn't be too much of a concern. (with the exception of possibly getting stranded somewhere one time)

Guy.Seminerio
06-09-13, 11:29 PM
Thanks guys. So the 2010+ are good and I found out on my own that on all vehicles in GM the 3.6 was redesigned for 2010, making the 2010 STS V6 a good buy in terms of engine reliability.

tinman
06-10-13, 07:13 AM
Engine, yes. Transmission, no.

I say that only because of one major issue with the transmissions where they crap out, and that was with my transmission. To the best of my knowledge mine is the only one that I know of that dumped. I know of no others. I will probably sell mine now as I can't trust it. It was rebuilt then crapped out 100 miles later, so they rebuilt it again. I wanted a new one, but, no, Cadillac took the low road and put in parts. I am not happy with them right now (my car is still in the shop for the second time. They had it for two weeks in May, I got it back and had it for two days then it was towed back into the shop for the same repairs. They have had it since June 1 and today is June 10.).

Guy.Seminerio
06-10-13, 09:49 AM
Sorry man. I freakin hate the cadillac service. From what I hear there are a couple of good ones but there are way too many horror stories like this. It's embarrassing to cadillac owners. The stories aren't exclusive to cadillac though. BMW and Benz aren't exepmpt from these issues. It's just too bad that the dealer is supposed to be the best possible place for you to take your car and this is what you get. It's a helpless feeling.