: Hide Your VIN Number. READ!!!

RaGzEmCeE
01-30-05, 05:30 PM
My cousins esclade got stolen about a month ago .... and now thecops are telling him that what the thieves are doing now ... mainly with escalades ... is getting the VIN # calling the dealer with the # saying they lost the key and pretty much paying $200 for a key to a $50,000 + car

Murphyg
01-31-05, 07:25 PM
My cousins esclade got stolen about a month ago .... and now thecops are telling him that what the thieves are doing now ... mainly with escalades ... is getting the VIN # calling the dealer with the # saying they lost the key and pretty much paying $200 for a key to a $50,000 + car

If I was your cousin, I would get that in writing from the police, then give a copy to my lawyer as well as to the insurance company.
There would be huge lawsuits there.
Cant see any dealership, unless its employee base is nothing but absolute re-treads, cutting a key for any Tom, Dick, or Nancy that comes up with nothing but a Vin#.
Unless its something thats occuring in one perticular area.
Then the cops should get there heads out of there doughnut holes and realize its probably some kind of organized INSIDE job.

Playdrv4me
01-31-05, 07:30 PM
If I was your cousin, I would get that in writing from the police, then give a copy to my lawyer as well as to the insurance company.
There would be huge lawsuits there.
Cant see any dealership, unless its employee base is nothing but absolute re-treads, cutting a key for any Tom, Dick, or Nancy that comes up with nothing but a Vin#.
Unless its something thats occuring in one perticular area.
Then the cops should get there heads out of there doughnut holes and realize its probably some kind of organized INSIDE job.

Agreed.

Murphyg
01-31-05, 08:22 PM
WOW !!!
Little update here.
Was just tellin my mother inlaw about this and she wasnt surprised at all.
Now mind you this was round 25 years ago, but..................:

Rushing to the doctor with her (then) young daughter she inadvertantly locked the keys in her car while it was still running. (daughter was no longer in it btw LOL).
She phoned Kerr Cadillac where she had purchased the vehicle about 6 mths prior, (1975 Grand Am) and gave them the VIN#. They never asked for anything else to identify herself whatsoever.
They went to a locksmith who cut a new key. The locksmith then had the key brought to her by taxi.
No identification asked for again.

Like I said that was 25 years ago.
But if it was a general practice then. Doesnt mean that it still isnt being done today.
But if it is its preety mind boggling.

Maybe Ill give it a try where I am just to see what happens.
Either way it is totally wrong. And as far as Im concerned I still stand behind the belief that a law suit would not be un-warranted. And also believe that it would be successfull.

Slapshot
02-01-05, 02:27 PM
Here's some info on the VIN key cut auto theft story. It seems it CAN be done, but is not nearly as easy as one would believe. Read on...

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp

CoupeDevilleRob
02-01-05, 04:42 PM
A few months ago my dad went to a Pontiac-Buick dealer to have some spare keys made for my sister's Regal. The guy at the parts desk said just give me the vin and the machine will cut the keys automatically. He never asked for ID or anything. You'd think a dealer in the Bronx of all places would be wise to any potential scams.

I think that this is one aspect of auto crime that needs to more properly addressed.

Adam
02-01-05, 06:34 PM
you also have to provide proof of ownership. i went to the dealership to get an extra set of keys made and the guy said he needed the VIN # and proof of ownership.

Murphyg
02-01-05, 07:16 PM
you also have to provide proof of ownership. i went to the dealership to get an extra set of keys made and the guy said he needed the VIN # and proof of ownership.

As is the way it should be. With no if, ands, or buts about it.
Appears though that some places may be too freakin lazy, and or not give a crap.
Dont think this is one of those urban legands. Believe that it has and still does happen. How often though is quite hard to say.

Too make matters worse,
How would one even know if that is the circumstance that caused them to become a victim ?
Unless the perpitraitor is caught red handed and admits the key was made by a dealer. No one would even know. :hmm:

RaGzEmCeE, who started this thread, said the police informed his cousin of this possibility.
And thats all it is is a possibility.
But if that is the case in his situation how would he prove it ?
He would have no recourse and the dealership is not liable for a thing !

It should be something that the dealers should be looking into and correcting as soon as possible. Not just turning the heads because occurences are RARE and RANDOM.
I work hard for what I have. And dont want it taken away from me because some jag-off doesnt care about procedure. Or because a group of jag-offs dont think its serious enough to address according to the statistics.

But it seems that that is all we have become. We are no longer human beings. We are just statistics in a column on a spread sheet, being compared to dollar signs in another column.

Oops !
Sorry about the rant ! :rant2:
Its just that ineptness and complete incompetence at the expense of others, without any kind of recourse for those responsible.............It just freaks me out !!!! :want:

Will try to contain myself in the future :halo:

gygmy
02-01-05, 11:57 PM
I think that in the state I live in it would be illegal to cover-up or obscure your VIN. I guess you could throw an old paperback copy of "Crime And Punishment" over it. What a drag people can be such scum. It is still always an interesting thing how we humans will always come-up with new ways to scam folks. Why pay $ 200 to have the keys made when you could use a hot credit card? Here we have had a rash of car thefts from gas station/quikie marts where people leave their cars running as they go into the store for a fast purchase. Not too smart, but it got me to think it would be fun to leave a car running as bait. When the crook took the bait the car could be disabled remotely and the doors locked. Then the driver would be greeted by the cops with a pair of police dogs. That would be amusing if it was not considered entrapment.

upstate
02-05-05, 06:51 PM
I am getting a new set of Gold keys and since they cost about $50.00 I would like the cut to be good. Rather than have them cut from my keys could I just provide a VIN on a 93 Coupe and have them cut?

occupant
02-05-05, 11:08 PM
Another good idea is to NOT keep your insurance card in the car. When I borrowed a friend's Saturn wagon to use for commuting while my van was being worked on, she asked me to change the oil, detail it, and get 2 spare keys made. I figured that's cheaper than renting a Cavalier from Alamo, so I go for it. The Saturn dealer asked me for the VIN# and proof of ownership, I gave them her insurance card with the car's VIN and *her* name. They made the keys for me without asking for ID at all, or who I was, or anything, all this knowing I most certainly wasn't named "Kimberly". All a theif has to do is get a hold of the insurance card for that particular car, or print one up on their stolen laptop in their hideout, and they're set. Keys for the Saturn were only $8 each including tax, I'm sure a chipped car would be more, but hey, it's a lot cheaper to have a key made than to buy a new car, right?

Playdrv4me
02-06-05, 04:28 AM
Another good idea is to NOT keep your insurance card in the car. When I borrowed a friend's Saturn wagon to use for commuting while my van was being worked on, she asked me to change the oil, detail it, and get 2 spare keys made. I figured that's cheaper than renting a Cavalier from Alamo, so I go for it. The Saturn dealer asked me for the VIN# and proof of ownership, I gave them her insurance card with the car's VIN and *her* name. They made the keys for me without asking for ID at all, or who I was, or anything, all this knowing I most certainly wasn't named "Kimberly". All a theif has to do is get a hold of the insurance card for that particular car, or print one up on their stolen laptop in their hideout, and they're set. Keys for the Saturn were only $8 each including tax, I'm sure a chipped car would be more, but hey, it's a lot cheaper to have a key made than to buy a new car, right?

Your advice while considerate, is a little contradictory, and in some states probably illegal. You said not to keep your insurance card IN the car. Well I mean, to get to your insurance card that way theyd probably have to break in to the car to begin with, and then they might as well hotwire the thing or otherwise get it started. At the same time, not having your insurance card can cost you BIG BUCKS if you get pulled over and dont have it. Yes, I could keep it in my wallet, but Ill inevitably lose it or it will get destroyed in there. Finally, you mention they could just print it up online. Well to get into your Insurance account, theyd still have to have your username and password, if your provider even HAS online access. And on top of that, if they DID get it online, than what would be the point of not keeping it IN the car? :sneaky:

Not tryin to be an ass, just pointing out some of the obvious. Obviously nothing is perfect, but I dont think not keeping your Ins cards in the car is going to significantly deter this from occuring.

Murphyg
02-06-05, 04:12 PM
Was JUST talking to my neighbor about this.
Have a bit of rust commin from under the windshield trim:eek:
He owns a large reputable colision shop in my area so asked for a price the other week. Turns out the trims round the windshield on my vehicle vary significantly in price. So he needs my vin#.
I jokingly say, "Not gonna get a key made are you", and tell him about this discussion.
Tells me that here in Ontario it is no longer possible. Possibly Canada as a whole. Laws were just passed maybe less than a year ago that state "absolute" proof of ownersip is now required. Told me that it all stemead from Quebec where the bikers had been taking full advantage of how simple it was to do that.
Even for his business it has made it more difficult. Even after working with dealerships for years,(having to re-do key codes etc.. on vehicles that have had whole door assemblies taken right out), they get nothing without expressed consent and proof of ownership from the owner of the vehicle.

Guess thats good news here.

RaGzEmCeE
06-12-05, 07:32 PM
just an update ... i recently found out ...

Many thiefes are breaking into cars, taking the registration along with your garage door openor or house key, and are breaking into houses. Black out your address on your registration. I mean obviously people will eventually notice that theyre garage opener is gone, but by taht time so could the stuff in your house.

carguy16
06-12-05, 11:59 PM
"May I see your licesne and registration."

"Sure"

"What the ****s this bull shit? Out of the car, now!"

just an update ... i recently found out ...

Many thiefes are breaking into cars, taking the registration along with your garage door openor or house key, and are breaking into houses. Black out your address on your registration. I mean obviously people will eventually notice that theyre garage opener is gone, but by taht time so could the stuff in your house.

Sam OCM
06-13-05, 12:44 AM
There is no way whatsoever we would give out a new set of keys to someone who was just speaking over the phone with a Vin!! We require ID and proof of ownership.