: TVS2300 Rear Cog

kj217
06-08-13, 08:50 AM
i have the latest rear 1:1 cog system from LPE installed on TVS2300,, it grips great making around 15psi of boost but am sick of the constant noise it makes all the time,,

is there any quieter alternatives?

Karch
06-08-13, 04:49 PM
Talk with Joe at LeftCoast'32. Great guy, and a Magnuson dealer. He's done some work on custom parts, so he might have a solution.

kj217
06-08-13, 10:28 PM
any feedback on LPE 14 rib rear belt system?

wait4me
06-10-13, 02:09 PM
Take and drill small tiny holes in each of the upper and lower ribs every so often in a pattern, it will reduce the noise.

kj217
06-10-13, 02:14 PM
Take and drill small tiny holes in each of the upper and lower ribs every so often in a pattern, it will reduce the noise.
not sure I got you,, you mean I drill holes into cog belt?
any pics?

wait4me
06-11-13, 11:02 AM
No not into the cog belt. You do it into the pulleys.

The noise is from the trapped air. When you drill tiny holes into the cog pulley it allows some air to get out. The smallest drill bit you can find. Tiny Tiny.

Even loosening the belt some will make it a little quieter, but not by much. But when there are holes in the pulleys it gets quieter.

kj217
06-11-13, 11:24 AM
No not into the cog belt. You do it into the pulleys.

The noise is from the trapped air. When you drill tiny holes into the cog pulley it allows some air to get out. The smallest drill bit you can find. Tiny Tiny.

Even loosening the belt some will make it a little quieter, but not by much. But when there are holes in the pulleys it gets quieter.
2 to 3 holes in every upper and lower rib?

Moparman4444
06-11-13, 06:42 PM
Now that's the first time I heard (no pun intended) that drilling small holes in the pulleys will reduce the noise of a whining belt. heck I'll make my pulley look like Wisconsin Swiss cheese if it would quiet down the whine w/o reducing slippage. Very interesting. I'm wondering how much of a whine reduction there would be and how many holes in a 2.5" pulley or 9" lower pulley are recommended. Pictures would be helpful.

kj217
06-12-13, 10:20 AM
Now that's the first time I heard (no pun intended) that drilling small holes in the pulleys will reduce the noise of a whining belt. heck I'll make my pulley look like Wisconsin Swiss cheese if it would quiet down the whine w/o reducing slippage. Very interesting. I'm wondering how much of a whine reduction there would be and how many holes in a 2.5" pulley or 9" lower pulley are recommended. Pictures would be helpful.
we are not talking about the front regular rib pulleys,, we are talking about the cog toothed pulleys,,

ArthurJGuy
06-17-13, 06:28 PM
I used to sell silenced cog pulleys and I can tell you that if you just go and drill holes in it #1 it will eat up your belt quickly and #2 you will burn up the bearings at high RPM due to the pulley being out of balance.

That is how I quiet them down, however it has to be done correctly.

I tried the 14 rib rear and it wouldn't hold, so cog was the only option for me.

wait4me
06-18-13, 11:44 AM
I fail to see how the belt will not last as long. I have been doing that to pulleys for years and the belts have not shown more or less wear than with or without holes.

As for balance, If you are taking the exact same amount of material off all the way around the pulley, how is it out of balance? Also we are talking about a small diameter pulley that is aluminum and doesn't weigh much of anything to begin with. If you take 3 holes out of every deep groove, all at the same spots and distance from center, you have nothing to worry about. I would be more worried about an unbalanced belt. lol...

kj217
06-18-13, 12:17 PM
any pic jesse?

ArthurJGuy
06-18-13, 06:57 PM
I fail to see how the belt will not last as long. I have been doing that to pulleys for years and the belts have not shown more or less wear than with or without holes.

As for balance, If you are taking the exact same amount of material off all the way around the pulley, how is it out of balance? Also we are talking about a small diameter pulley that is aluminum and doesn't weigh much of anything to begin with. If you take 3 holes out of every deep groove, all at the same spots and distance from center, you have nothing to worry about. I would be more worried about an unbalanced belt. lol...

Without deburring the ragged edge will eat away at the belt. I have seen it happen dozens of times.

If you think the average person can get this type of precision from the center axis on every single rib by hand, best of luck to them.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/429649_3193229423345_256768323_n.jpg

kj217
07-02-13, 06:19 AM
any of you guys sell them modified and ready to run?