: Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust - ATS 2.0T

mtinaza
06-08-13, 02:28 AM
Just so you guys know, I just picked up my ATS from Magnaflow. They used my car to mock up a cat-back system. Should be setting pricing soon if not already.

Now I just need a CAI. Who's got one that performs?

Nite_Hawk
06-08-13, 04:17 AM
Post up some pics! How much louder is it?

donavo
06-08-13, 06:49 AM
I'd be interested to see what they did. Did they use one muffler or 2?

rocco11189
06-08-13, 09:47 AM
Here you go guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA11CIWXx1k

To be honest I am not very impressed. My dad has an HHR SS and his stock exhaust sounds better than this!

Siren05
06-08-13, 10:24 AM
Sounds pretty good...

rspitler
06-08-13, 10:57 AM
What?

1BadCadSTS
06-08-13, 10:59 AM
You can't get water from a stone either. The HHR is a V8 and you're comparing it to a 4 cylinder. When was the last time a 4 cylinder didn't sound like a vacuum cleaner?

Lol @ v8 hhr.

Wrong

Nite_Hawk
06-08-13, 12:45 PM
Sounds good. Exhaust tips would be sweet if they were similar to the stock ones.

donavo
06-08-13, 01:41 PM
I wonder how their catback system attached to the car. Since there are no flanges or anything to do a bolt on install. After the cat it's all one pipe with welds.

BTW here is my setup for your comparison reasons. Also magnaflow. Bear in mind I'm recording with a phone camera and not the best mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL0qn9iyNb4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

bluhaven
06-08-13, 03:05 PM
Here you go guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA11CIWXx1k

To be honest I am not very impressed. My dad has an HHR SS and his stock exhaust sounds better than this!
Is that Richards work, I see thats at the Rancho Santa Margarita shop. I've put many black stripes on that pavement.

Kevin

mtinaza
06-08-13, 08:07 PM
It's all personal preference on sound. I'll admit that it was quieter than I expected but noticed that it has progressively gotten louder over time. Not sure why. For me if I wanted something obnoxiously loud I would have bought an STI instead. So this works for me.

The exhaust is configured very similar to a G35 exhaust. One muffler, two separate chambers, two tailpipes. I'll post pics later.

rocco11189
06-08-13, 08:30 PM
At the end of the day we are driving a Cadillac so it is a good thing it does not sound like a ricey Honda. I just expected a little more growl/throatier sound because it sounds a bit raspy right now.

mtinaza
06-08-13, 09:20 PM
At the end of the day we are driving a Cadillac so it is a good thing it does not sound like a ricey Honda. I just expected a little more growl/throatier sound because it sounds a bit raspy right now.

I hear ya...it is getting deeper and louder. I'll see if I can post another video on it. That was my car...so it'll be apples to apples.

sqkid89
06-08-13, 09:21 PM
Very cool to see someone finally making a catback. Looking forward to more photos and pricing

M5eater
06-08-13, 10:38 PM
I wonder how their catback system attached to the car. Since there are no flanges or anything to do a bolt on install. After the cat it's all one pipe with welds.

BTW here is my setup for your comparison reasons. Also magnaflow. Bear in mind I'm recording with a phone camera and not the best mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL0qn9iyNb4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

slip on connectors and butt clamps. Like every other aftermarket exhaust in the world.

donavo
06-08-13, 10:41 PM
slip on connectors and butt clamps. Like every other exhaust in the world.

u have to cut the stock exhaust even if u buy this system from magnaflow. which is unfortunate. wish GM had made a flange right after the cat.

M5eater
06-08-13, 10:45 PM
u have to cut the stock exhaust even if u buy this system from magnaflow. which is unfortunate. wish GM had made a flange right after the cat.

I've delt with enough sezied studs, nuts and flanges to be thankful all that's required is a 10 minuite hacksaw job.

In the long-run, if you ever want to go back, a pair of joint clamps will let you put the stock exhaust on without having to re-weld anyway. I just did so with my V.

Siren05
06-08-13, 11:48 PM
My subie is loud as **** now cat less downpipe into 3 inch exhaust my neighbours windows shake when I
Fire her up. It was subtle in stock form.

----------

Never mind my external wastegate.

YoshiFD3S
06-09-13, 03:23 AM
lulz at external wastegate...I know alllll about it.

You should see my 2JZ RX-7. I have a straight-up open dump-pipe coming right off the 45mm Turbosmart external wastegate. :P

I think a full 2.5" or even 3" exhaust with high-flow cat and resonator will really give the ATS 2.0T the aggressive exhaust note it needs without being TOO much.

The Magnaflow mufflers themselves seem to add a good tone for this particular motor, but with ONLY a cat-back, it just doesn't feel/sound like enough of an upgrade for the more hardcore "tuners" in our community, such as myself. :P

KXAM
06-09-13, 01:01 PM
Each to his/her own but I can see little benefit to putting a Magnaflow on a 4 banger, especially with only one muffler! True, you will add a little more muscle sound but who the heck wants a Caddy that sounds like a rice burner..!! Kid stuff! I have had big American V8's most of my life including 3 ZR-1's and now a C6. The C6 runs a Magnaflow cat back, and while it produces a really nice muscle car sound [not at all kid like or cheap hot rod sounding] it does little for increasing performance. When I went with a Magnaflow type on 2 of my ZR-1's I did get increased 1/4 mile trap speeds by about 3 or 4 mph but they did little for the ET's. Magnaflow makes nice products, but why on a Cadillac!

donavo
06-09-13, 01:14 PM
Each to his/her own but I can see little benefit to putting a Magnaflow on a 4 banger, especially with only one muffler! True, you will add a little more muscle sound but who the heck wants a Caddy that sounds like a rice burner..!! Kid stuff! I have had big American V8's most of my life including 3 ZR-1's and now a C6. The C6 runs a Magnaflow cat back, and while it produces a really nice muscle car sound [not at all kid like or cheap hot rod sounding] it does little for increasing performance. When I went with a Magnaflow type on 2 of my ZR-1's I did get increased 1/4 mile trap speeds by about 3 or 4 mph but they did little for the ET's. Magnaflow makes nice products, but why on a Cadillac!

Because the stock 2.0 sounds really bad. Not just quiet. I'm cool with quiet. But it's almost embarrassing to Rev that engine I think lol.

Siren05
06-09-13, 02:52 PM
The only exhaust piece worth any performance improvement on a 4 cylinder turbo would be a downpipe.

Everything else is just for sound.

bluhaven
06-09-13, 04:00 PM
3 or 4 mph in the 1/4, I want some of those mufflers. That's quite a bit of gain just for mufflers? I race all the time and have never seen increases like that?

Kevin

mikesul
06-09-13, 05:36 PM
The only exhaust piece worth any performance improvement on a 4 cylinder turbo would be a downpipe.

Everything else is just for sound.

A hiflow cat after the downpipe would also help reduce backpressure.

Siren05
06-09-13, 07:29 PM
A hiflow cat after the downpipe would also help reduce backpressure.
And more importantly we can add more boost!

Fraggy
06-09-13, 08:52 PM
I think it's kind of cool that it's not overly loud, if you can do a new video with it a bit broken in that would be great! In your opinion, compared to a 3.6L, is it louder or quieter?

Also, how audible is it in the car?

KXAM
06-11-13, 12:08 AM
3 or 4 mph in the 1/4, I want some of those mufflers. That's quite a bit of gain just for mufflers? I race all the time and have never seen increases like that?

Kevin

Yes, it was a complete 3" cat back system and the mufflers were Walkers! LT5's needed to get the exhaust out as you cranked the rpm towards 7,000! My best prior was 111-112 after the exhaust it was always 114-115mph.

mtinaza
06-11-13, 03:43 AM

As with most anything, "because you can", more importantly, because aftermarket anything will help get this car and brand some much needed visibilty.

pissedoffwookiee
06-11-13, 05:07 AM
Cadillac has come out with a performance exhaust developed with them by Borla, my parts guy got word from his GM accessory rep.

Stevo Supremo
06-11-13, 10:59 AM
not gonna lie I couldn't really tell the difference in that youtube video

roadpie4u
06-11-13, 11:50 AM
Cadillac has come out with a performance exhaust developed with them by Borla, my parts guy got word from his GM accessory rep.
Any details on a part number? I'll go through my contacts to see what I can find out about it.

KXAM
06-11-13, 12:25 PM

This would be a major mistake! Borla on a Cadillac..!!! Kid stuff. Borla is too hot rod or rice burner sounding. Some guys put them on Corvettes and they make the car sound like an 18 year old's car! No sophistication at all. Try the more upscale after market producers like Corsa or Magnaflow, etc. Borla is cheap product and they sound like cheap. You may have a differing opinion but you have a $35k automobile, why make it sound like someones 1969 Mustang, or worse....!!!

I also disagree with modding "because you can". I say bull. You can take away from a cars appeal and most certainly its value by making foolish mods! Corvette guys do it all the time and when it comes time to sell, most end up reverting back to stock! And Corvettes lend themselves to modding.

mbk2010
06-11-13, 12:31 PM

My CTS 3.6 had the Borla system and I constantly rcvd compliments on the sound.

donavo
06-11-13, 01:01 PM
my dealer also told me tht borla makes the performance exhausts for gm. thats fine and all but i personaly do think borla isnt very classy. from what ive heard anyway. im sure they can make a more classy exhaust for the cadillac, but i doubt they will. also, i dont think they have already made one officially because the service manager at my dealer has been looking into it for me since ive always asked for exhaust developments.

IMHO magnaflow is best for american cars.

hood101010
06-11-13, 02:58 PM
Had a full race system built for my last car that had a Magnaflow quad-exhaust set-up. Sounded unreal! Would definitely use them again.

pissedoffwookiee
06-11-13, 03:16 PM
my dealer also told me tht borla makes the performance exhausts for gm. thats fine and all but i personaly do think borla isnt very classy. from what ive heard anyway. im sure they can make a more classy exhaust for the cadillac, but i doubt they will. also, i dont think they have already made one officially because the service manager at my dealer has been looking into it for me since ive always asked for exhaust developments.

IMHO magnaflow is best for american cars.

It's stainless steel and chrome, not classy or unclassy just metal, since the tone of the not classy bunch here seems to lean toward muscle and rice cars in the not classy column, it seems odd to me that cadillac chose them as an OEM partner along with Daimler, and Lexus.

i dont think they have already made one officially because the service manager at my dealer has been looking into it for me since ive always asked for exhaust developments

Really!

Part # 22961069 $950

This looks to me like you need a new service manager:bigroll:

mbk2010
06-11-13, 04:10 PM
Unfortunately, listed only for the 2.5L engine...converts single to dual exhaust...

http://www.vehicleaccessorycenter.com/inc/files/editor/files/2013%20Cadillac%20ATS%20Launch%20Kit.pdf

roadpie4u
06-11-13, 04:18 PM
That's what I was afraid of... I knew there was a 2.5L kit in the works.

I'm almost tempted to wait till the ATSV comes out and look at picking up a take-off exhaust and rear bumper and adding a resonator to have a quad tip exhaust - I prefer the look of 4 small tips to 2 large ones and that won't fit in the stock bumper.

pissedoffwookiee
06-11-13, 04:30 PM
Unfortunately, listed only for the 2.5L engine...converts single to dual exhaust...

http://www.vehicleaccessorycenter.com/inc/files/editor/files/2013%20Cadillac%20ATS%20Launch%20Kit.pdf

That PDF is the launch kit, the car was launched in august last year (pretty old info), the GM acessory rep told my parts guy, about this last friday, also said fitment is for AWD and RWD Base through Luxury 2.5, 2.0T, and 3.6 so far.

KXAM
06-11-13, 04:37 PM
It's stainless steel and chrome, not classy or unclassy just metal, since the tone of the not classy bunch here seems to lean toward muscle and rice cars in the not classy column, it seems odd to me that cadillac chose them as an OEM partner along with Daimler, and Lexus.

Really!

Part # 22961069 $950

$950 for a BORLA! Highway robbery and not worth a third of that. I know Caddy demands a premium but no Borla should cost anywhere near a grand! Plus, all there is is a muffler and tips. I have a complete catback Magnaflow system on my C6 that is all SS with 2 mufflers & rolled quad 4" highly polished tips. Now that setup is worth a grand!! Made a mistake years ago and put a Borla on a Camaro L98. It was crap then for like $135. !!!

thebigjimsho
06-11-13, 04:51 PM
B&B for the best sound. That's all.

donavo
06-11-13, 05:06 PM

Really!

Part # 22961069 $950

maybe he just didnt check recently. theyre prty busy in there. post a sound clip. hopefully someone local gets it so we can do a meet.

pissedoffwookiee
06-11-13, 05:22 PM
$950 for a BORLA! Highway robbery and not worth a third of that. I know Caddy demands a premium but no Borla should cost anywhere near a grand! Plus, all there is is a muffler and tips. I have a complete catback Magnaflow system on my C6 that is all SS with 2 mufflers & rolled quad 4" highly polished tips. Now that setup is worth a grand!! Made a mistake years ago and put a Borla on a Camaro L98. It was crap then for like $135. !!!

not positive but i think the plastic piece is a new diffuser, which would make sense considering if this fits the 2.5 as well you'd need an extra opening, so not chump change, but i don't think unreasonable for a catback, muffler and chrome tips if lower body panel is included

----------

maybe he just didnt check recently. theyre prty busy in there. post a sound clip. hopefully someone local gets it so we can do a meet.

That would be cool:thumbsup:

----------

Good news, it does include the Fascia as thye call it i found this:

http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Cadillac/ATS/Performance/Exhaust%20Tip/?dealer_code=119114&makes=Cadillac&referringURL=www.keysercadillac.com

M5eater
06-11-13, 05:24 PM

See.. the regular 2.5 only has a single exhaust.

I would like to know if this is simply the dual tip exhaust from the 2.0T/3.6 or if it's infact a different muffler.

The fact that it includes the Fascia leads me to believe this is simply the 'upgrade' for the single tip 2.5.

pissedoffwookiee
06-11-13, 05:34 PM

I would like to know if this is simply the dual tip exhaust from the 2.0T/3.6 or if it's infact a different muffler.

The fact that it includes the Fascia leads me to believe this is simply the 'upgrade' for the single tip 2.5.

Parts guy says, for base through luxury all engines '13 and '14 so one could deduce this is not the case or else why would this be an upgrade for the turbo and v6 too, but to your point it could be the performance/premium exhaust since those are not included in this upgrade

donavo
06-11-13, 05:37 PM
by the way guys, the muffler that is shown in the picture and all the links is just an upgrade to dual exhaust tips for the 2.5 engine. one easy way to tell is if u look at the picture posted by pissedoffwookiee, the muffler has one pipe going into it. the stock 2.0T has 2 seperate pipes going into the muffler and 2 coming out. so this isnt rly a performance upgrade. maybe for sound but i think its just cosmetics. wont fit on the 2.0T or the 3.6

pissedoffwookiee
06-11-13, 07:30 PM
by the way guys, the muffler that is shown in the picture and all the links is just an upgrade to dual exhaust tips for the 2.5 engine. one easy way to tell is if u look at the picture posted by pissedoffwookiee, the muffler has one pipe going into it. the stock 2.0T has 2 seperate pipes going into the muffler and 2 coming out. so this isnt rly a performance upgrade. maybe for sound but i think its just cosmetics. wont fit on the 2.0T or the 3.6

Bad news race fans, this is correct, parts guy called on this and had them physically inspect the parts to get me a picture, and GM fitment info on this is incorrect this is 2.5 only.:alchi:

YoshiFD3S
06-12-13, 07:53 PM
Borla had used my 2.0T Sonata for their R&D prototype cat-back exhaust and it has had a bad howling/whistling sound at full-throttle since day 1.

They tried to deny it and they sent me replacement tips, but it's still there. Hell it's even apparent in the YouTube videos they have of my car, and I have several of my own as evidence.

I honestly won't buy Borla products ever again. While I was there I got a tour of their R&D facility in Port Hueneme, Cali... they simply use perforated piping inside of their pipes. Not that damn special, you guys.

For the money, I'd rather just have my local shop fab me up a nice 2.5" setup with WHATEVER brand of mufflers I choose.

mtinaza
06-15-13, 03:04 PM
Here are some pics

TBSS2008
07-09-13, 04:26 PM
Looks like a nice Exhaust. I have a Solstice GXP with a Magnaflow, K&N Drop in, and Trifecta Tune. On the Solstice is has a really nice Deep Throaty sound. I think the Magnaflow on the ATS 2.0T does sound a little quiet I think its because it does not eliminate the second cat. The Solsitce only has one primary cat (Downpipe). Get rid of that second cat for a more aggressive exhaust note and free up a little power at the same time.

HighElevation
07-14-13, 12:27 AM
How much did the exhaust end up costing and how difficult was the installation?

BNRacing
08-21-13, 12:02 AM
FYI we've got these in stock at our warehouse and ready to ship. FREE shipping to the lower 48!

http://store.badnewsracing.net/2013-Cadillac-ATS-20T-Magnaflow-Stainless-Steel-Cat-Back-Exhaust_p_222.html

ATSturbo
08-22-13, 06:29 PM
I think it sounds pretty good. May look at that after my CAI and Downpipe mods.

louie1487
01-26-14, 09:13 AM

gmpartscenter.net confirmed with me that it is an axle back. Basically replacing the existing muffler and fascia for a muffler with dual outlets

FDNY-L107
01-30-14, 10:00 PM
I have this exhaust installed on my ATS and I will admit it is amazing. Very nice sound no drone, lighter than the stock system, easy install and high quality. I really did not notice any huge performance difference, but the sound is perfect for this car. BWoody has these in stock at the lowest price on the market btw....and no, I don't work for them. :thumbsup:

Fraggy
01-30-14, 11:07 PM
I have this exhaust installed on my ATS and I will admit it is amazing. Very nice sound no drone, lighter than the stock system, easy install and high quality. I really did not notice any huge performance difference, but the sound is perfect for this car. BWoody has these in stock at the lowest price on the market btw....and no, I don't work for them. :thumbsup:

So... Both the secondary cat and the resonator are removed? I noticed the tips seem to be resonated. I wonder how much effect that has? If I get an exhaust, I'd want to keep the beautiful stock tips.

Ragtop 99
01-31-14, 10:31 AM
So... Both the secondary cat and the resonator are removed? I noticed the tips seem to be resonated. I wonder how much effect that has? If I get an exhaust, I'd want to keep the beautiful stock tips. If it has a CARB #, the secondary cat would not be removed.

Fraggy
01-31-14, 11:14 AM
If it has a CARB #, the secondary cat would not be removed.

Thanks for clearing that up. I just couldn't see it in the diagram.

sqkid89
02-01-14, 12:56 PM
The Magnaflow kit seems to be well fitting and designed, but why would they bother to split to 2 pipes, only to come back into one muffler? It seems like added weight and cost to me. Why not slightly bigger single pipe to muffler with dual outlets? Fbody guys have been doing this for years