: hydro dipped interior

H-town_V
06-08-13, 02:16 AM
So Monday im dropping of some parts to get dipped and I'm just wondering if anybody has done this all ready

I'm basically getting all the factory center bezel pieses done except for the a/c controls

My goal is to not copy but be similar to the c6 w/ the carbon fiber center bezel like in this pic.

robojesus
06-08-13, 02:30 PM
hmmm.... i want to see how this pans out.

H-town_V
06-08-13, 06:40 PM
Ill keep this thread updated with every step along the way cause I think a lot of people will enjoy it.

I plan to rip out all the parts tonight.

xbladr
06-08-13, 10:53 PM
Good luck i would like to see how it all pans out

H-town_V
06-09-13, 07:52 PM
Here's the parts getting dipped all Broken down.

H-town_V
06-09-13, 10:13 PM
I tossed around the idea of using a tablet for a screen. So when I found out I was going a week with out my factory radio I decided to make a lil something. I had every thing I needed just laying around except the radio bezel so I decided to make this.

It's not perfect cuz I really just threw it together but it looks pretty cool. I also Just placed my a/c vents so it doesn't look so torn apart. Plus using a balancer app it's only .5* off, not to bad for a weekend project I did mostly drunk.

H-town_V
06-09-13, 10:17 PM
Haha plus I'm using some computer speakers that use USB power. I know it's super ghetto but I can't go a week without music in my ride.

xbladr
06-10-13, 01:49 AM
As ghetto as it is its awesome lol... well done

H-town_V
06-10-13, 03:27 PM
Parts are dropped off!! I'm also getting the pieces that go behind the door handles done. I really hope this turns out good.

The shops gonna send me pics throughout the process. So Ill post em up.

AAIIIC
06-10-13, 09:06 PM
I have to say I've never been impressed by pics I've seen of hydrodipped CF pattern, so I'm curious to see how yours looks when the parts are done.

H-town_V
06-10-13, 09:31 PM
I have to say I've never been impressed by pics I've seen of hydrodipped CF pattern, so I'm curious to see how yours looks when the parts are done.

The guy doing the work showed me a finished product in his f150 and it looked amazing. He also has a semi tinted clear coat that makes it not so shiny. I'm not sure if I'm gonna get the regular clear or the tinted one. I kinda think the shiny look would be a better contrast.

What have you seen that you didn't like? I'm not expecting 100% perfection but I am expecting about 95%.

H-town_V
06-10-13, 09:35 PM
Here's a c6 bezel that was dipped. I think it looks great.

odthetruth
06-11-13, 06:59 AM
Got any larger pics?

AAIIIC
06-11-13, 09:40 AM
^^^ What he said. All I can see in that tiny picture is a black piece of some car's interior. If there's a pattern on it, I can't see it.

As for what I didn't like of the ones I've seen, it just looked very flat and one-dimensional. CF, since it's a weave, has some depth to it. Hard to describe, I guess, but the hydro-dipped CF patterns I've seen just didn't look real at all.

H-town_V
06-11-13, 12:26 PM
I'm waiting for the shop to send me some pics. I chose the darkest pattern cuz I am worried about it being to flashy.

This might be a better pic. But I'm just pulling these off google.

H-town_V
06-11-13, 12:39 PM
^^^ What he said. All I can see in that tiny picture is a black piece of some car's interior. If there's a pattern on it, I can't see it.

As for what I didn't like of the ones I've seen, it just looked very flat and one-dimensional. CF, since it's a weave, has some depth to it. Hard to describe, I guess, but the hydro-dipped CF patterns I've seen just didn't look real at all.

I know what you mean about the depth, real carbon fiber has a very unique look. I'm not trying to fool people into thinking I have real CF. I'm just trying to make my interior not so boring.

Here's some cts door bezels like I'm getting done.

I'm having to resize the pics in order to post them and a lot of the look is lost.

OneFast V
06-11-13, 07:03 PM
Host the pics somewhere else and then link them in the post. that way you can post whatever size photo you want.

AAIIIC
06-11-13, 11:50 PM
I'm having to resize the pics in order to post them and a lot of the look is lost.
You should be able to attach up to 1024x768 and nearly 400kb in size. The picture of the door bezels is only 171x124 and only 22kb.

H-town_V
06-12-13, 06:54 PM
You should be able to attach up to 1024x768 and nearly 400kb in size. The picture of the door bezels is only 171x124 and only 22kb.

I only go to this forum on my iPhone and getting pictures to fit is tough. Ill upload some to my computer and see if that works.

xbladr
06-15-13, 10:26 PM
You can use a computer too... That is also an option.

P-Funk
06-25-13, 04:18 PM
Any update on the progress? Also, where are you getting this done?

H-town_V
06-26-13, 12:01 AM
Any update on the progress? Also, where are you getting this done?

Everything is taking longer than expected. It was supposed to be finished last Friday...but it's not. I'm trying not to get frustrated about how long its taking cause I understand its a difficult job.

There was some drips in the clear around the really sharp edges so they had to start over on a couple of pieces.

I don't wanna name the shop until all the work has been finished. Plus I won't blame the shop for taking a lil longer than expected. I told them quality is more important to me than turnaround time.

Wtf I can't get any pics to upload on this site. I'm No computer expert but this is ****ing Ridiculous. If anybody with a Mac can help me out ill get some pics posted.

carlson_mn
06-26-13, 12:03 AM
good update... hope you're rockin' those computer speakers still!

Overd0s3
06-26-13, 12:07 AM
I'm 24 on a 24inch screen and I can barely see what the hell is going on in these 2 inch photos so I wonder what the older crowd is thinking. Please put us out of our misery and upload some real pics

H-town_V
06-26-13, 12:09 AM
good update... hope you're rockin' those computer speakers still!

Hell yea.

----------

I'm 24 on a 24inch screen and I can barely see what the hell is going on in these 2 inch photos so I wonder what the older crowd is thinking. Please put us out of our misery and upload some real pics

I'm sry. I'm trying.

AAIIIC
06-26-13, 12:12 AM
Wtf I can't get any pics to upload on this site. I'm No computer expert but this is ****ing Ridiculous. If anybody with a Mac can help me out ill get some pics posted.
Wait, I thought Apple products were perfect and intuitive and would upload pictures to the internet automatically while simultaneously cooking you your favorite meal?!

H-town_V
06-26-13, 12:21 AM
Wait, I thought Apple products were perfect and intuitive and would upload pictures to the internet automatically while simultaneously cooking you your favorite meal?!

Hahaha... It must be my tiny brain that can't figure this out. But I'd rather stick my dick in a rat trap than have to use a pc.

FuzzyLogic
06-26-13, 12:37 AM
How effing hard is it to use Photobucket? Doesn't matter whether you're on a Mac or a PC.

H-town_V
06-26-13, 12:48 AM
How effing hard is it to use Photobucket? Doesn't matter whether you're on a Mac or a PC.

I'm sure it's not that hard I just haven't done it yet. I'm a full time student (5 classes a semester and 2 classes during the summer) and I work 50+hrs a week. by the end of the day/week I'm totally brain dead. Do I just upload the pics to photobucket and then link it in my replies.

Sry if this seems like a stupid question but I'm no computer wiz.

------------

I just installed the photobucket App so hopefully that will work...

H-town_V
06-26-13, 02:09 AM
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w537/jameswimb/null_zps7a2ab679-1.png

Here's a piece that's being redone cause of the little drips around the edges.

DrSpeed
06-26-13, 06:12 PM
Cool concept, the CF dip makes it look like a cheap cell phone cover.

I would have gone with the camo. :cool2:

shadybx7
06-27-13, 05:49 PM
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w537/jameswimb/null_zpsf11b1149.jpg
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w537/jameswimb/null_zpsa5244de4.png
poast back up when you get all the pieces back in the car. interested to see how well it goes with the rubermade dash

H-town_V
06-27-13, 11:35 PM
poast back up when you get all the pieces back in the car. interested to see how well it goes with the rubermade dash

I will... It's probably gonna be another week until Its done.

AAIIIC
06-28-13, 01:54 PM
the CF dip makes it look like a cheap cell phone cover.
That's about my take on it as well. It looks the same as previous "CF" hydro-dips I've seen.