: Free OEM clutch/flywheel setup or Monster (not free)

ctsVr4
06-08-13, 02:06 AM
Hi all,

I am positive my flywheel has failed on my 05 V, good thing is I am still under warranty. It kind of crept up on me gradually and I really noticed how terrible it is when I drove my son's 05 V. Is it worth the hassle of trying to convince the dealer/shop to tear into the car and replace everything with OEM under warranty, or is the difference from a Monster (looking @ stage 2, 18lbs) worth it to go ahead and spring for that?

I've got ~1k miles and a few months left on the warranty and plan to start modding once that expires (~500hp and staying n/a is the goal).

Wishful thinking would be for them to confirm it is bad, and have them replace it with a Monster (likely cheaper, and worth a shot since it's a 3rd party warranty?).

Thanks

RyRidesMotoX
06-08-13, 02:28 AM
Just my personal experience with warranties here... This should not be considered the rule whatsoever... A clutch is usually considered a "wear item" like brake pads. If the clutch/flywheel goes bad they usually won't replace it unless it suffers a catastrophic failure like the friction material breaks off or the flywheel cracks or something weird like that. I wouldn't count on them replacing it under warranty. And if you take it to a dealer they are just gonna charge you out the ass to look at it and then tell you its not covered. In my humble opinion, skip the dealer and toss in something aftermarket.

ctsVr4
06-08-13, 01:35 PM
I understand the clutch being a wear item but don't expect the dual mass flywheel to be one, or it shouldn't be anyway. I wouldn't mind paying for a replacement clutch if it came to it, but wouldn't expect it right of the bat if they had everything apart to replace the flywheel under warranty.

I'm simply curious if the upgraded clutch/flywheel combo is worth it as it seems that (from what I have read, anyway) most people don't upgrade until they have to/the stock flywheel has failed.

RyRidesMotoX
06-08-13, 02:50 PM
What kind of symptoms are you getting from the car?

heavymetals
06-08-13, 03:10 PM
My experience was the dealer said they would install the parts I supplied under warranty as they don't give a crap, but the dealer also said not to bother with anymore warranty claims in that area.

They have to replace the warranty part, which they did and they gave me the new parts as they had no use for them.

I doubt they will cover the clutch under warranty or any part of it.

If they do, you scored.

ctsVr4
06-08-13, 03:41 PM
What kind of symptoms are you getting from the car?

Vibration from the motor that gets better or worse based on RPM (not vehicle speed). It's at it's worst around 2300 RPM, more noticeable when revving while the car is not moving. I don't notice it as much when I get on it, but while commuting it's bad enough to create a constant rattle if I have anything loose laying in the cupholders. Bad shake when shutting the car down. I know some of this is normal, but there is no comparison to my sons, also stock, '05 V. Motor mounts seem OK.

RyRidesMotoX
06-08-13, 04:31 PM
Have you checked the harmonic balancer? I think that would go bad before a flywheel would honestly. Might wanna check that first... Its easy to get to, not as bad to replace and I think that would for sure be covered under a power train warranty.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-08-13, 06:26 PM
Hi all,

I am positive my flywheel has failed on my 05 V, good thing is I am still under warranty. It kind of crept up on me gradually and I really noticed how terrible it is when I drove my son's 05 V. Is it worth the hassle of trying to convince the dealer/shop to tear into the car and replace everything with OEM under warranty, or is the difference from a Monster (looking @ stage 2, 18lbs) worth it to go ahead and spring for that?

I've got ~1k miles and a few months left on the warranty and plan to start modding once that expires (~500hp and staying n/a is the goal).

Wishful thinking would be for them to confirm it is bad, and have them replace it with a Monster (likely cheaper, and worth a shot since it's a 3rd party warranty?).

Thanks

Hello ctsVr4,

I see you have reservations about taking your vehicle to the dealership to get your flywheel looked at. In my experience of talking to some of the dealerships, if you are still in warranty, then some dealerships waive the diagnosis fee. This could just be for bumper to bumper warranty though. If you private messaged me you name, contact info, VIN, mileage, info about the warranty you are mentioning, and dealership you would like to work with, I would be more than happy to contact them and inquire about what they would charge to look at it and see if they would have any insight on if it would be considered a wear item or not. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care