: Thoughts on the Stainless Works exhausts?

spearfish25
06-07-13, 08:46 PM
I'm looking at exhaust options for my V wagon and it's a bit more limited than the coupe and sedan. Stainless Works makes a nice looking catback for a great price (~$1000). I'm pretty much sold on it, but I'm wondering why I don't see much about it on here or Google'ing. The price seems almost too good to be true when a Corsa axle back alone costs more. I've spoken with the Stainless Works guys and they seem like good people.

Definitely would appreciate insight from those who have some experience with them.

Boosted2000si
06-07-13, 10:44 PM
Do some more research. If you are having it professionally installed by someone that can weld, it will be a nice system.

From what I gather the DIY at home folks have a lot of issues with it leaking and aligning up.

spearfish25
06-07-13, 10:47 PM
The SW guys referred me to an installer in Bradenton who apparently can bang it out no problem. I'll do some Googling though...never fun to have problems, especially if I can avoid them.

cblove
06-08-13, 10:06 AM
I too heard of fittment issues. It would behoove you to research more as previously recommended.

Purple87SS
06-08-13, 02:08 PM
Love mine. Me and buddy did the complete install in 55 mins, start to finish with a lift. Love the sound and no fitment issues here. Highly recommended.

beneseagal
06-08-13, 04:47 PM
Just installed mine on '12' v coupe (stainless works cat back) I did in fact have fitment issues. But not on the car itself. The left tail pipe after x-pipe they did not expand enough or shrank after build so it did not slide over the x-pipe. Also the muffler exists are not welded even, so tips don't sit level. For $1090 it should sit absolutely perfect, especially for our caddy's! Build time was super fast, only a week to get. But I would have rather waited longer for exact fitment. Anyway product materials are good, bends in piping are spot on, tips are sexy, & sounds awesome!

spearfish25
06-08-13, 07:34 PM
Humph. I really want a full catback. Does the Borla X-pipe fit to the stock headers and Corsa axle backs?

the blur
06-09-13, 10:25 AM
Why is one of the factory exhaust pipes squashed ? Looks like it's designed that way.

spearfish25
06-09-13, 11:23 AM
Why is one of the factory exhaust pipes squashed ? Looks like it's designed that way.

By design. Not sure why though. People claim its no detriment to power unless you're making serious HP (700+).

the blur
06-09-13, 11:52 AM
By design. Not sure why though. People claim its no detriment to power unless you're making serious HP (700+). They must have a ground clearance minimum. But it has to act as a restriction.

beneseagal
06-09-13, 01:50 PM
It has to restrict flow as much as it's flattened. I couldn't believe it when I took it off and seen it, almost flat!

spearfish25
06-09-13, 01:59 PM
Hence why I am looking for a catback system. I don't want to do all the Kooks stuff because I'm not that interested in headers. With the wagon, I don't have many options for midpipe replacement. I may still do the SW option and just be a massive PITA if it's not right once it's installed.

beneseagal
06-09-13, 09:57 PM
Not sure if your aware but, if you don't do a cat back system you will have to hack up your stock exhaust. For say axle back systems. Stainless works in my opinion is the best option, pricing makes it all the better. Got mine for $979 from marylandspeed.com customer service was great and they were rite on point too!

spearfish25
06-10-13, 12:39 AM
How would I get my stock exhaust home? Looks like its getting hacked any way you cut it. :)

beneseagal
06-10-13, 02:14 PM
Haha, yeah unless you got a truck. That sucks you can never go back without buying another stock exhaust system either.

thegraham77
06-10-13, 08:23 PM
I bought SW cat back last fall and put it on my coupe. Took about 1.5 hours to get everything lined up and leveled out perfect. Actual wrenching time to take off old and install new was less than 30 minutes. I was very happy with the deep, low growl sound. Then I got a wild hair and put on SW headers last week paired with the SW cat back...now no cats. Still sounds awesome. Way louder at idle and when you get on it (I can barely hear the supercharger anymore even with a CAI and smaller pulley). At 55-65 mph I don't think it's any louder in the cab than it was with just the cat back system. I'm very pleased with it.