: Radio problem with my 88 Chevy Celebrity

vincentm
06-07-13, 02:07 PM
I'm not subscribing to another forum and i know the folks here know more than just Cadillacs. Here's my dilema

Original radio (when i got the car) had pioneer single din tape deck. Last weekend i had a Pioneer DEH-150MP installed. Problem is that for some reason the 20a fuse marked CTSY keeps blowing and i'm not sure how to fix it. I have an appointment to have the shop fix it today but since they screwed this up, my gut feeling is to not trust them (they screwed up my radio install on the Eldo but have since changed owners, etc which is why i went to them this time)

Id prefer to fix this myself, what can i check for? Alldata doesn't say crap, it only gives the location for the fuse panel:

Here's the blown fuse:
http://i39.tinypic.com/21l3dko.jpg

Here's the use panel
http://i41.tinypic.com/1jp6s7.jpg

I'm suspecting the cigarette lighter but have some metal stuck in it causing it to short somehow blowing the fuse..

drewsdeville
06-07-13, 02:18 PM
That fuse powers the interior lights, head unit, and the cig lighter. If everything worked fine before the install, it might just be that the different HU draws more than the factory and you need a larger fuse (or run the HU on it's own source). Not sure if your new HU is big and fancy or not...It could, however, be a ground problem or short as well - so don't blindly throw larger fuses in without properly diagnosing. Does the fuse blow when the HU is on and interior lights are off (or vice versa?) EDIT: you know that your cig lighter is shorting... disconnect it or remove the piece of metal and try again.

vincentm
06-07-13, 02:27 PM
That fuse powers the interior lights, head unit, and the cig lighter. If everything worked fine before the install, it might just be that the different HU draws more than the factory and you need a larger fuse (or run the HU on it's own source). Not sure if your new HU is big and fancy or not...It could, however, be a ground problem or short as well - so don't blindly throw larger fuses in without properly diagnosing. Does the fuse blow when the HU is on and interior lights are off (or vice versa?) EDIT: you know that your cig lighter is shorting... disconnect it or remove the piece of metal and try again.

If i replace the fuse with another 20a the radio works and i even get the "key on" chime (something i didn't get before when i obtained the vehicle) but if i turn the car off and and back on a few hours later the radio doesn't power on and the fuse is blown again, as you said id rather fix it properly than tossing in a bigger fuse

Aztec ETC ECS
06-07-13, 06:25 PM
Did you check for the old "penny in the lighter socket" trick?
A larger fuse will still blow with a direct short.
Some cell phone chargers will push the positive prongs into the outer ground.
Try unplugging the lighter socket first.
If you can't find anything, it should be easy enough in that car to tap into a main hot going into the fuse panel and use an inline fuse & go directly to the radio.

----------

Update:
Just checked Mitchell.
The yellow power wire goes to the radio fuse which should probably go to the red wire on an aftermarket radio.
The orange wire goes to the CTSY fuse and is for keep-alive on the stock radio & should prob go to a yellow lead on the aftermarket.

vincentm
06-07-13, 06:42 PM
Did you check for the old "penny in the lighter socket" trick?
A larger fuse will still blow with a direct short.
Some cell phone chargers will push the positive prongs into the outer ground.
Try unplugging the lighter socket first.
If you can't find anything, it should be easy enough in that car to tap into a main hot going into the fuse panel and use an inline fuse & go directly to the radio.

----------

Update:
Just checked Mitchell.
The yellow power wire goes to the radio fuse which should probably go to the red wire on an aftermarket radio.
The orange wire goes to the CTSY fuse and is for keep-alive on the stock radio & should prob go to a yellow lead on the aftermarket.

I have the tools to remove the radio the y just lide in on the sides of it and out it comes. I'll check the wiring when i get home from work, thanks

vincentm
06-08-13, 02:22 AM
Bent tabs in the cigarette lighter causing the neg and pos wires connected to it to cross and thus short. Problem.solved. i'll order a new one on rock auto

HAZZARDJOHN
06-09-13, 12:44 AM
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/3858695194.html

^ buy this one and have two