: The Hipocrisy of Consumer Reports

73JPS
06-06-13, 11:05 PM
I know that there already is a thread about the Consumer Reports rating of the ATS, but I thought that this might warrant its own topic, even though the previous post already did lead to plenty of CR bashing. But while I have seen CR nitpick about things and really downgrade a car for (what I see as) minor things, I don't think I've ever seen them totally blinded into over-rating a car to any drastic extent: until now.

CR recently finished reviewing the Tesla S, and are totally in love with it: in fact, it garnered a score of 99/100, which in and of itself should raise an eyebrow or two. While I think it is wonderful that the S is such a great car, I just can't figure out how CR would so completely vilify the ATS for its controls (and complain vociferously about its lack of buttons and knobs) whilst completely glossing over the fact that the Tesla has the same basic interface: with no knobs or buttons.

I understand that the grade of the ATS (it scored a 76/100, whatever that means) was compromised not just by its controls, but also by CR's perception of powertrain shortcomings, rear seat room, and cargo space. But honestly: they readily admit that the Tesla would require you to "plot out long trips, or you'll need a second car" and "the driving range drops considerably when it's cold outside" and "it's missing many of the comfort and advanced technology gadgets you'd expect in a car at this price", and this gem: "having a few more knobs and buttons on the dashboard wouldn't hurt".

All those shortcomings only add up to one point off a perfect score, eh? This car's primary shortcoming is so severe YOU MIGHT NEED ANOTHER CAR!! Hello??

So much for CR's famous empirical impartiality: these clowns are so completely agog with tree-hugging goodness that they are completely willing to overlook things which would totally sink an entry from one of those Big Bad Old School Car Corporations.

AtlantaGuy00
06-06-13, 11:23 PM
You're preaching to the choir! They bash all things American.

SLA
06-07-13, 08:54 AM
You're preaching to the choir! They bash all things American.

Um. Tesla is American.

bungee91
06-07-13, 08:57 AM
Try out the tech in a model S and then compare it to CUE. I've actually done this recently and it is leaps and bounds more responsive and better laid out than CUE is at this point.

I have no comment on their rating, however I do find CUE infuriating at times, which I really hope GM will fix soon.

----------

Um. Tesla is American.

I thought the same thing.. LOL.

Yplus
06-07-13, 09:07 AM
I'm sure the Tesla S is a great car, but so is an S-Class Mercedes. My point is that it's not hard to make a blow away amazing car when money is no object. The fact that the ATS lost to the Tesla S for a few car-of-the-year awards really bothered me. Wake me up when you can get an electric car that has 100 miles of range and costs the same as a mid-sized luxury sedan. Oh wait, the ELR is basically going to be that. Except I don't need to plan my route around "Superchargers" that still don't really exist in most places.

Rant off.....

SLA
06-07-13, 09:50 AM
Well, apparently the Model S is a good enough car that a company is buying them, stripping out the electric powertrain bits and swapping in an LS(7 I think) and selling them. They've been talking to Elon Musk about just buying Model Ses sans powertrain to skip the stripping stage. I personally enjoy the stripping stage, but I know it can get spendy.

M5eater
06-07-13, 09:52 AM
It's not all that surprising, they rated the LS460 a 99/100 automobile.

To be quite frank, I don't think anyone except CR subscribers gives two toilet dumps what they think of anyway, and even then, they're not known for their autmobile reporting prowless. They are as old and non-relevant as 60 minuites and newspapers.

mikesul
06-07-13, 10:57 AM
I will never buy an all electric car until it has a range of 450+ miles on a charge, and can be recharged in no more than 15 minutes. Sort of like stopping at a gas station time.

RippyPartsDept
06-07-13, 11:44 AM
I will never buy an all electric car until it has a range of 450+ miles on a charge, and can be recharged in no more than 15 minutes. Sort of like stopping at a gas station time.

yes, but a range extended vehicle (like the Volt or ELR) ??
yeah i'm down with that

Stevo Supremo
06-07-13, 01:30 PM
I took out a VOLT from GM for a week, drove to work, errands etc etc...didn't use a drop of gas, but I still had confidence that if I HAD to drive further I could, fantastic vehicle.

bungee91
06-07-13, 02:17 PM
(I really like the Model S so my opinion is biased, however I do also own an ATS so maybe my view has some credibility to it)

I think all of you have a serious issue of range anxiety!..
99% of ALL my travels are to work and back, maybe the store, a stop here or there, and home. That would be at the most 100 miles a day (really less, but I'll stretch it).
So even if I drove like a maniac all day with the accelerator to the floor when I could, maybe I get 50% of it's rating (I can't be at full throttle on public streets all the time anyhow), which would be 132.5 miles from the 285 EPA rating of a 85KW/h battery.
I always have a second car if needed as the wife has a vehicle, so if I really wanted to take a road trip or have to go further that day, no problem.
I also work at a laboratory where electric charging of vehicles are free, I certainly don't get free gas for my ATS!

So what's the downside? I never have to go to the gas station (that would really suck, I do enjoy it there), or I pay a ludicrous amount for gas compared to electricity (it's about 7:1 currently).

----------

I took out a VOLT from GM for a week, drove to work, errands etc etc...didn't use a drop of gas, but I still had confidence that if I HAD to drive further I could, fantastic vehicle.

In comparison to an ATS (which we drive here) a Volt handles like shit and is slow...
Yes the Tesla is MUCH more expensive, but neither of those apply to it either.
The ELR will likely be a 55k+ car and being basically a re-styled Volt won't be much better.

RippyPartsDept
06-07-13, 03:58 PM
be careful pre-judging the ELR ... i have a feeling it is going to surprise a lot of people

also, your case for an all electric vehicle can be made basically the same for a range extended vehicle minus the need for a second car to go longer distances

pissedoffwookiee
06-07-13, 04:10 PM
CR is a magazine produced by 'know very littles' for 'know nothings' if you want to know about cars look to pure car sources, TV's pure electronic sources, appliances pure home and garden sources. NEVER expect any kind of knowlege to come from a source that can have cars,TV's, and appliances in the SAME issue to have any insight on anything.

unfortunately, this is a tip that the person picking up CR in the magazine stand at Walmart will rarely be told:thepan:

pragmatic
06-07-13, 06:04 PM
The range extended electric vehicle (Volt, Cmax, Prius Plug-in and ELR) are the way to go. The extra weight and cost of batteries needed to get to a decent range is higher than that of a well designed internal combustion engine and generator. The key here is well designed. The current Volt is a very good first effort. The Volt is using an existing engine from GM, setup for range extender duties. The next generation should be using (or so I have heard) an engine designed specifically for a range extended vehicle. This should save weight and costs. Also I believe GM saw the market for this vehicle as environmental diehards, unconcerned with performance (other than how it related to energy use) and designed the car accordingly. If they shift their focus to everyday drivers looking for a better car that costs less to operate the second generation car will be a much better performing car in areas we are interested in.

That said my use of a vehicle would not make me a candidate for a range extended or fully electric vehicle. I walk to the train so I have no commuting miles. My weekly mileage is of the order of 20 miles. The rest of my miles are driving to ski slopes (260 miles each way, plus additional 10 - 50 miles to visit other mountains once in VT).

73JPS
06-07-13, 06:24 PM
Well, this thread has drifted into a discussion on the relative merits of electric cars... which wasn't my intent. But hey, since when have I not enjoyed a good drift? :drink2:

AudiA4
06-07-13, 09:11 PM
Well, apparently the Model S is a good enough car that a company is buying them, stripping out the electric powertrain bits and swapping in an LS(7 I think) and selling them. They've been talking to Elon Musk about just buying Model Ses sans powertrain to skip the stripping stage. I personally enjoy the stripping stage, but I know it can get spendy.

Since you made sport with AtlantaGuy over his lack of knowledge, let me "enlighten" you...that's NOT Tesla, that's FISKER that's being sourced for the body/chassis by an investment group led by none other than Bob Lutz himself.

And for all you whiney guys dogging on the Tesla Model S, I believe the praise has been near unanimous by every publication and test center. Unless you've sat in one, interacted with the controls and power train and actually DRIVEN the car, then I would keep my mouth shut.

AtlantaGuy00
06-07-13, 10:43 PM
Then it has a crappy name. Sounds like commie shit.

mbk2010
06-07-13, 11:04 PM
I agree, the ATS would be a better car with a toned down CUE, a true road car, which the ATS aspires to be, should not require so much attention to the center stack to just make
the car cooler. And all the tech required just to open that damn storage bin......

SLA
06-08-13, 08:47 AM
Since you made sport with AtlantaGuy over his lack of knowledge, let me "enlighten" you...that's NOT Tesla, that's FISKER that's being sourced for the body/chassis by an investment group led by none other than Bob Lutz himself.

And for all you whiney guys dogging on the Tesla Model S, I believe the praise has been near unanimous by every publication and test center. Unless you've sat in one, interacted with the controls and power train and actually DRIVEN the car, then I would keep my mouth shut.

My goodness. The butthurt is strong with this one.

73JPS
06-08-13, 09:26 AM
:pop2:

thebigjimsho
06-11-13, 05:15 PM
No one has opened their mouths. Unless they dictate to their computer. So I will keep typing away whatever I choose...