: V repainted under warranty?

heavymetals
01-28-05, 08:28 PM
I read in my owners stuff that I have 1 year to make a claim about the paint job, so I guess Cadillac already knows about potential problem.
I did notice a little bit on the hood (looks like brown stains/rust) but no big deal until today when it is pointed out by a detail guy that it is also on the roof and now trunk (wasn't there before) UH OH!
Three months old!
ARRRGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!:bonkers:
Anyway, Cadillac service is making phone calls to dealer, and complaint has been dated (got a claim #).
Anybody else with same/similar problem?:(

urbanski
01-28-05, 08:44 PM
never heard of that.
got pics?

01-28-05, 09:01 PM
The warranty issues with paint is usually bubbling or peeling. If this is "staining" it is likely on top of the clearcoat and can be removed with a good cleaner wax or worst case a very small amount of white polishing compound with a damp soft cloth.

A need for a repaint is unlikely and should be an absolute last resort.

The worst GM paint problems that I have seen have been relating to a lot of orange peel or, in a couple of cases, particles under the paint.

This is hopefully a cleaner/polish issue. Detailing clay is another possibility, but not sure based on this description.

Doug

ctsvett
01-28-05, 09:20 PM
Rest assured that if it is a rust issue, you are covered for 10 years. All sheet metal on the car is covered for 10 years (I think).

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

01-28-05, 09:28 PM
the 10 year warranty is a perforation warranty, I think. If this is the metal rusting under the paint on a 3 month old car, it would have to have been parked in a salt bath....and there would be bubbling or lifting. Do you live near a factory or smokestack or airport or other pollution source? Do you park near a building that might have dirty water or drain water falling onto the car? Parking garage that has crap seeping onto the car from above?

Today's baked enamel paint jobs are sometimes called "glue jobs," because the enamel dries and hardens quickly like glue. There isn't any long term curing or ongoing chemical reactions that would result in discoloration. The source would have to be external, not internal......unless they are starting to do funky paint work that I am not familiar with.....

Doug

heavymetals
01-28-05, 09:38 PM
It is a combination of pitting and/or brown spots

I saw it on the hood in one section (when I bought the car) and it wasn't that big of a deal, but now it is on the roof and trunk and some of the sides, but not "all over", just in alot of places.
The detailer had the car today and he even said "Man something is wrong with your paint job".
If you do the "fingernail test" it is pitted and hard to determine if it is a reaction under the paint or with the paint itself.
I have an appointment being set up for an exam at the dealership.
Car has less then 3k mi.
Garaged.
My Vette is 2 years old and the paint job on it doesn't feel even remotely similar.

01-28-05, 09:51 PM
It is a combination of pitting and/or brown spots

I saw it on the hood in one section (when I bought the car) and it wasn't that big of a deal, but now it is on the roof and trunk and some of the sides, but not "all over", just in alot of places.
The detailer had the car today and he even said "Man something is wrong with your paint job".
If you do the "fingernail test" it is pitted hard to determine if it is a reaction under the paint or with the paint itself.
I have an appointment being set up for an exam at the dealership.
Car has less then 3k mi.
Garaged.
My Vette is 2 years old and the paint job on it doesn't feel even remotely similar.

sounds very peculiar. Please keep us updated. If you could post a pic, maybe a shot at a shallow angle on a sunny day where maybe we can see an texture and an discoloration, that would be interesting (might be tough to see). I'm wondering if it could be tiny water bubbles under the clearcoat that are freezing and bursting.....and possibly having some particles that are oxidizing when the air hits them?

If it does need a repaint you might want to consider demanding a buyback or a new car. Though there are plenty of great paint shops that will give you a paint job that is superior to the factory, that is not what you will get under warranty and, even so, a repaint will mean lower resale value and any half decent car guy will be able to tell even a top quality repaint from factory.

I'm not sure if that request will be granted, but it's something to consider. I'm not trying to make you feel bad but if my brand new $50K car needed a repaint I'd be ballistic.

heavymetals
01-28-05, 10:04 PM
Well, it is just a car.
I don't want to pop an aorta over it yet.
This is on page 5-94 of the 2005 CTS/CTS-V owners manual.
They are aware of this problem.
I would like to know if anyone else had this happen and how was it fixed/remedied?

CVP33
01-28-05, 11:15 PM
This is going to sound strange but.............my 2004 CTS-V (black) had a spot on the roof of the car near the passenger side door that would best be described as bubbled. I thought that someone had intentionally put something on the car to cause this so I never pursued. I tried everything to fix it myself but it was definitely in the finish. I purposely walked the 2005 over very detailed just in case.

Florian
01-29-05, 12:40 AM
I had two spots on my hood. Dealer claimed it was some sort of metal cleaning prep solution that was left on the metal prior to paint. It looked like rust bubbling up, I pointed it out and the hood was painted under warranty,no questions asked.

F

lasstss
01-29-05, 01:33 AM
Well its not rust... The CTS hoods are aluminum.. Might be a bad prep as mentioned. Aluminum oxide?:hmm:

heavymetals
01-29-05, 01:39 AM
Aluminum oxide doesn't explain the roof and trunk.

I will post what happens.

As long as there is a fix I am ok with that.:cool:

Was a time, long ago, I would go apeshit over stuff like this.

jpr
01-29-05, 09:02 AM
I noticed this too on my rear urathane bumper surface, right below the trunk. It looks as if miniature rust filing have been mixed with the paint and the are now noticable since they are getting "rustier" with time. Im going to try the clay. I have not noticed them elsewhere in the car but I have not looked that long.

Jpr

heavymetals
01-29-05, 04:48 PM
Took my car over to my friend's house and compared to his one year old CTS, which is the same color.
Big difference!:crying:
Will let you know what Cadillac determines and course of action.

ahotrod67
01-29-05, 06:10 PM
cadillac probably wont do a buy back and depending on what color the car is you might need to paint the whole thing. the dealer droped a tool while working on my roof rack on my escalade and put a large scratch down the side of my drivers door. after they painted the door it was noticably different color then the rest of the body. the aspen white is difficult to match so they say. they cant match it good enough so they had to paint 3/4 of the truck. i was so pissed about this i tryed everything for a buy back but since it was the dealers fault and not cadis they wouldnt do it. and now that 3/4 is painted it still doesnt match even close. any paint job after the factory that they will pay for isnt going to be as good

silver bullet
01-29-05, 08:10 PM
HeavyMetals came by today to show me his paint defects. My CTS is the same colour, light platinum. Sure enough, looks like rust spots some are round some irregular shapes , it can be seen and felt on all the horizontal surfaces mostly. Nothing like that on mine, one and a half years old.:annoyed:

BowenCT
01-29-05, 08:48 PM
There's that GM quality we all know and love.

01-29-05, 08:56 PM
cadillac probably wont do a buy back

You are probably right but if your starting point is a demand for one then maybe you can negotiate for something more than a repaint but less than a buyback. 100K warranty...free set of tires......lifetime free service/maintenance.....Corsa exhaust.......clear bra.....yatta yatta yatta.

I have found that dealers and reps are VERY inconsistent in how they handle reasonable but unhappy customers. Sometimes you may get bupkus while a guy with the same problem 500 miles away is getting treated like a king. As with any tech support......"elevate"

Doug

heavymetals
01-29-05, 09:40 PM
Well, I live in the best state for a consumer.

California!:thumbsup:

Like I said, I expect the problem to be corrected.

How it gets corrected I don't know, but I will let everyone know.

heavymetals
02-01-05, 05:45 PM
Here is the latest.

The dealer inspected the car and has determined the cause to be "industrial fallout".:histeric:
The partyline.
They have indicated that the car is going to be "right", but will take a couple of days.
The car is scheduled to be worked on 02-07-05.
I made it quite clear that my understanding is that the whole purpose of paint is to protect, not react.
I would suggest to other owners to run your hand over your paintjob.
If it feels pitted or if you can see brown spots, you have a problem.:eek:

heavymetals
02-07-05, 12:49 PM
Car went in today for paint repair(?) under warranty.
Also, for MANDATORY RECALL for some fuel crossover pipe.:hmm:
I never got anything in the mail about this, but the Cadiilac service person on the phone told me it needed to be done also.
Anyone else hear anything about this one?

ctsvett
02-07-05, 01:04 PM
Info on the recall

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tsb.html#recall2

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

heavymetals
02-07-05, 02:50 PM
Thanks Reed!
Just got a notice that my personal plate from DMV is ready for pickup.
I was stunned it was available.:)
What does it say?

CTSV4ME

trukk
02-07-05, 03:09 PM
Thanks Reed!
Just got a notice that my personal plate from DMV is ready for pickup.
I was stunned it was available.:)
What does it say?

CTSV4ME

Heh, more homo than vinman? Perhaps it's time for a poll?

J/K

I was thinking about getting:

'BOBSRX8'

As a vanity plate.

-Chris

msheri01
02-07-05, 04:22 PM
Well, it is just a car.
I don't want to pop an aorta over it yet.
This is on page 5-94 of the 2005 CTS/CTS-V owners manual.
They are aware of this problem.
I would like to know if anyone else had this happen and how was it fixed/remedied?

What is being referred to is chemical fallout damage(acid rain, rail dust). If the car sat outside unwaxed for some time or was shipped by train, it may have one of these issues. Since you are describing rail dust type staining, I would guess that is the major issue. The claying process will pull the rail dust from the paint, then there is a washdown and polishing process that is used, very similar to the more particular detailers use. After this is done, keeping a good coat of wax(several very good products have threads on them here) should prevent the acid rain in future. It generally does not require painting, and this method does not remove factory finish. The rust spots are generally from dust generated by the train brakes, and since you are in Cali, your car most likely was sent on a rail car.

heavymetals
02-25-05, 09:41 PM
I got my car back today after three weeks (!).
The incredibly bad weather is what took so long.
I told them they had it so long I wanted next years model!

My hat is off to PENSKE in Torrance Ca.:worship:

Whatever it took, they got the brown spots and the pitted feeling of the surface corrected. .

They made absolutly sure that I was satisfied.

It cost me nothing.:D

sefa01
02-26-05, 08:00 AM
I got my car back today after three weeks (!).
The incredibly bad weather is what took so long.
I told them they had it so long I wanted next years model!

My hat is off to PENSKE in Torrance Ca.:worship:

Whatever it took, they got the brown spots and the pitted feeling of the surface corrected. .

They made absolutly sure that I was satisfied.

It cost me nothing.:D

How refreshing--a dealer that wants to make you happy. Congrats!!!