: Wheel - Tire Insurance

jsakabuck
06-06-13, 04:56 PM
My XTS4, Platinum, Black Raven, Very Light Platinum, arrives at the dealer next week. Given the 20" rims and 40 series tires, has anyone thought about purchasing a wheel/tire insurance plan? Did your dealership offer one to you at time of delivery? What was the cost? Anyone found it necessary to make a claim? Here in the Northeast, I'm concerned about winter roads and potholes doing a number on these wheels and tires. Should I be concerned? This will be my first experience with such short side walled and rubber bands tires on delicate wheels.

Can anyone share some experience riding around on these wheels and tires, and how tough they have held up on bad roads?

I'm looking forward to joining the ranks of owners here. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

wthomas33
06-06-13, 06:27 PM
If you scrape a curb with your wheel, it will be scratched very easy (don't ask how I know this).

On the upside, my dealer has a service, that for $65 will polish the wheel to like new condition again!

kipsts
06-06-13, 07:53 PM
My XTS4, Platinum, Black Raven, Very Light Platinum, arrives at the dealer next week. Given the 20" rims and 40 series tires, has anyone thought about purchasing a wheel/tire insurance plan? Did your dealership offer one to you at time of delivery? What was the cost? Anyone found it necessary to make a claim? Here in the Northeast, I'm concerned about winter roads and potholes doing a number on these wheels and tires. Should I be concerned? This will be my first experience with such short side walled and rubber bands tires on delicate wheels.

Can anyone share some experience riding around on these wheels and tires, and how tough they have held up on bad roads?

I'm looking forward to joining the ranks of owners here. Thank you in advance for your thoughts. I did purchase it through the dealer on my Platinum XTS and thankfully have not had to use it so far. I also had similar insurance on my Porsche. To me it made sense when you consider the cost of the wheels and tires. I did not have it on my prior STS when I hit some sort of junk on the road and it took out both tires on the driver side and damaged one of the two wheels. That was a rare but expensive lesson to me on the value of the insurance. My friend has had three tires replaced on his Porsche under a similar policy over the last year and one half, clearly paying for the policy a couple of times over. As with any insurance, it is a crap shoot and you pick and choose what level of risk you are willing to live with. As to how the XTS tires hold up on bad roads, I really don't know. The roads in Nevada are pretty good, certainly compared to what I experienced living previously in Michigan. :cool2:

jsakabuck
06-07-13, 05:24 PM
Kip.....may I ask what you paid for your policy? Just making sure I don't get ripped off from my dealer. Thanks.

kipsts
06-07-13, 05:39 PM
Kip.....may I ask what you paid for your policy? Just making sure I don't get ripped off from my dealer. Thanks. I will look it up and PM you. :cool2: Tried to PM you but apparently you haven't cleared out your box in a while.

Caddy Daddy.com
06-07-13, 06:11 PM

I'm looking forward to joining the ranks of owners here. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

We have the same car. This is the most difficult car I have ever had when it comes to parking. Don't want to hit my rims. l already did my front right. Depending what is covered. I had a blow out at 70 mph 80 miles from home. Not fun since I did not get the spare tire option and could not get my tire inflated with the kit provided. DADDY

longslim
06-08-13, 03:48 AM
I will look it up and PM you. :cool2: Tried to PM you but apparently you haven't cleared out your box in a while.

Can you post a link to the company?

kipsts
06-08-13, 09:28 AM
Can you post a link to the company? The insurance was through my dealer. The company appears to be Multi-Shield aka IAS Warranty, Inc. out of Texas. :cool2:

dennis93coupe
06-08-13, 02:39 PM
Well I just learned a few things without looking at one in person, which I plan on doing in the near future. No spare, and tire wheel insurance. Things I never thought about on older cars.

kipsts
06-08-13, 02:43 PM
Well I just learned a few things without looking at one in person, which I plan on doing in the near future. No spare, and tire wheel insurance. Things I never thought about on older cars. FWIW: Many new cars no longer come with spare tires. My Porsche, Volvo and Caddy did not. :cool2:

dennis93coupe
06-08-13, 03:01 PM
Didn't know that, but then haven't thought about looking for a new car until recently. I see many blowouts on the road where I live, the wheel usually gets destroyed.

kipsts
06-08-13, 03:28 PM
Didn't know that, but then haven't thought about looking for a new car until recently. I see many blowouts on the road where I live, the wheel usually gets destroyed. I would certainly recommend looking into the tire and wheel insurance than. :cool2:

jsakabuck
06-08-13, 03:32 PM
Many thanks for the information Kip. I've been searching around the web and found that most of these policies run anywhere between $800 and $1,200. for a five (5) year policy. The XTS's Bridgestone tires are $147 at the tirerack; and if you figure a replacement wheel will run $500, then the insurance may be worth it, depending upon the price. Thankfully, I ordered mine with a compact spare, so I won't be stranded anywhere. Never did trust those spray-can, tire fixit, deals. I never had a problem with the 18" wheels and 45 series tires on my '10 Maxima that I'm upgrading from. You folks have given me some things to think about, but I'm still hoping to hear from other northern climate based XTS owners to see how their 20" wheels and low profile tires have fared throughout this past winter.

kipsts
06-08-13, 03:36 PM
Many thanks for the information Kip. I've been searching around the web and found that most of these policies run anywhere between $800 and $1,200. for a five (5) year policy. The XTS's Bridgestone tires are $147 at the tirerack; and if you figure a replacement wheel will run $500, then the insurance may be worth it, depending upon the price. Thankfully, I ordered mine with a compact spare, so I won't be stranded anywhere. Never did trust those spray-can, tire fixit, deals. I never had a problem with the 18" wheels and 45 series tires on my '10 Maxima that I'm upgrading from. You folks have given me some things to think about, but I'm still hoping to hear from other northern climate based XTS owners to see how their 20" wheels and low profile tires have fared throughout this past winter. Most welcome @jsakabuck. Mine ran $800 for 5 years. :cool2: