: Idle problems

Mike Hayes
06-06-13, 02:28 PM
I am being told after three trips tothe dealership that a rumble while at idle is just a charactersistic of the 3.0 in my 2012 CTS. does anyone else have a mildly rough idle?

jeffc83
06-06-13, 02:54 PM
I am being told after three trips tothe dealership that a rumble while at idle is just a charactersistic of the 3.0 in my 2012 CTS. does anyone else have a mildly rough idle?

I do with the 3.6 DI...not bad but a light rumble. (I don't feel it as much if at all with the AC off)

99flhr
06-06-13, 03:00 PM
Try other cars on your dealers lot for a side by side comparision ? "mildly rough" is subjective.

But yes, sometimes I am aware (feel) that there is an engine running out front. A V-6 will never be as smooth as an inline. If by "rumble" you mean audible, then no.

skitdaddy
11-11-13, 09:26 PM
I've had my 08 CTS 3.6 DI AWD for only two weeks now and I noticed a rumble or vibration when stopped and in gear, sounds like there is a helicopter behind me. It goes away when I accelerate and doesn't seem to be as noticeable when in park. Any one have any thoughts? I haven't called dealership yet, but I am about to.

C&C
11-12-13, 04:47 AM
I've had my 08 CTS 3.6 DI AWD for only two weeks now and I noticed a rumble or vibration when stopped and in gear, sounds like there is a helicopter behind me. It goes away when I accelerate and doesn't seem to be as noticeable when in park. Any one have any thoughts? I haven't called dealership yet, but I am about to.

I would rule out a broken motor/transmission mount; sounds like this could be your problem.

928S
11-12-13, 10:07 AM
Don't know about OP's 2012 3.0L idle problem, but 2008-09 CTS owners might want to read this thread
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-2013-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/247736-heavy-vibration-while-under-load.html, and another thread linked in its post #3.

Idle resonance is, to various degrees, an inherent characteristic of all 2008-09 3.6L CTS with original exhaust system - in severe cases, described as "rumble." Dual exhaust system was redesigned in 2010MY to include integral resonance dampeners.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-13-13, 03:57 PM
Hello Mike Hayes,

I would be more than happy to do some additional research on your behalf and reach out to your dealership to make sure what you are experiencing is a characteristic of your vehicle. Please feel free to send me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you have been working with. You can reach out to me via private message or by email at socialmedia@gm.com with the subject line as “ATTN GREG”. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Hello skitdaddy,

Congratulations on your recent purchase of your CTS! I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing a rumble or vibration when you are stopped and in gear. Please keep us updated when you take your vehicle to the dealership and please feel free to reach out to Laura or myself on this account if you would like us to look into the situation for you as well. You can reach out to us via private message or by email at socialmedia@gm.com with the subject line as “ATTN GREG”. We will be on the lookout for your future updates.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

skitdaddy
11-14-13, 09:15 AM
Well, one trip to the dealer and no resolution to the problem. In fact, according to them, there is no problem. They couldn't hear what I described and sent me home with no further action. My next step is a dealer closer to home for another look. Hopefully, they will at least acknowledge the issue...

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-14-13, 03:14 PM
Well, one trip to the dealer and no resolution to the problem. In fact, according to them, there is no problem. They couldn't hear what I described and sent me home with no further action. My next step is a dealer closer to home for another look. Hopefully, they will at least acknowledge the issue...
Hello skitdaddy,

I am sorry to hear that the dealership wasn’t able to duplicate your concern. I would suggest asking if you could ride in the vehicle with someone from the dealership so you can duplicate the concern for the representative at the dealership. Thank you very much for keeping us updated and please feel free to reach out to me if you would like me to look into the situation as well.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

skitdaddy
11-15-13, 08:38 AM
I did have someone ride with me and they said they couldn't hear anything. Shocker....

928S
11-15-13, 10:08 AM
skitdaddy,

Did you read the thread linked in post #6 above? The problem you describe, "...a rumble or vibration when stopped and in gear, sounds like there is a helicopter behind me. It goes away when I accelerate and doesn't seem to be as noticeable when in park...," is common and well-documented for 2008-09 CTS. It's the exhaust system. Was the TSB (reposition exhaust hanger brackets) ever done to your vehicle?

skitdaddy
11-16-13, 12:14 PM
I did read the thread and I will definitely bring this to my mechanics attention when I go back next week. I don't know about the exhaust hanger brackets, I will ask about that as well. Thanks for the information. Much appreciated!

SC2150
11-16-13, 01:05 PM
Good reply 928S! Willing to bet that is what he's hearing.

And, do you have a 928S? The prices are rising steadily.

I had a 79 928 manual trans for years, but never the S. Was my dream car back then.....and still love them. :thumbsup:

like2drive
11-18-13, 12:39 AM
The TSB was performed on my car some time ago...reposition exhaust hanger brackets. It solved the issue for most of the time - sometime I can still hear a light drone in gear with my foot on the break with the AC on. However, I can live with it and to tell the truth, it is not that noticeable now.

skitdaddy
11-19-13, 04:47 PM
Update: Had rear exhaust hanger brackets installed today and problem solved! Dealer said there was an alert for this problem. Work was done at no charge, just purchased the car three weeks ago...I'm happy now! Thanks to those who responded to my post, I have found this forum to be quite helpful and appreciate the information. BTW, my car is Radiant Bronze with Cashmere interior, beautiful...

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-20-13, 11:43 AM
Update: Had rear exhaust hanger brackets installed today and problem solved! Dealer said there was an alert for this problem. Work was done at no charge, just purchased the car three weeks ago...I'm happy now! Thanks to those who responded to my post, I have found this forum to be quite helpful and appreciate the information. BTW, my car is Radiant Bronze with Cashmere interior, beautiful...

Hello skitdaddy,

I am glad that the dealership was able to install these rear exhaust hanger brackets to address the concern you were experiencing. I am glad to hear that you are able to enjoy your vehicle now! Please feel free to reach out to Laura or myself if you have any further questions or concerns.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care