: Bmr Awk Installed Today!

willsctsv
01-28-05, 06:38 PM
Well I could not wait to put this on because I own the 05 V for 1 month and have 900 miles. The wheel hop is a major disappointment even if I don't mash the throttle. When I really get on it and rev out to 6000 rpm and drop 2nd the car still shakes violently. In first it feels like the tires are giong to shake off the car! The out come, so far disappointing I drove home from my local mechanic, 8 degrees was too cold for me to install this.
I also added the differential bracket. Sorry don't have the part name handy.
The minute I pulled out the shifts felt smoother. I stopped at a light and got on it and the car launched faster, wheel hop was still there but not as shakey as previous. The car makes a loud bang when the wheels hop, does not sound good! This is new. It sounds like 2 pieces of heavy metal bang into each other. Has anyone experienced this after this mod?
Some on this board said this mod is good others say waste! I tried myself and all I can say is caddy better come up with a reliable solution. Either my V is more powerfull than some of the others here(DOUBT IT) or this mod is not as good as some thought. Wheel hop is not as violent, thats true but it's still haunting me.
Going from 2-3 shift it even hops slightly.

C'mon, build a car with brakes that can stop a train, power that can pull a train and hold the road like a sports car and place a flimsy rear end assmbly in this beast. Ahhh Just lookin to vent!:rant2:

SBONES
01-28-05, 06:50 PM
Dude, join the club. I was going to get it but they claim 75%, not good enough to go through all that work. Now im definitly not getting it, thanks for the post..

Bones..:annoyed:

CVP33
01-28-05, 08:03 PM
will,

I experienced the metal on metal bang in my '04. It was very noticeable and not at all like the thunks and such I heard others talk about. Replacing my rear diff' was the only solution. After that it was like a new car again.

chris

willsctsv
01-28-05, 08:10 PM
Did you have this kit also. Or did yours just get worse on its own with no mods?

CVP33
01-28-05, 08:11 PM
I never had the kit, but I did drive the hell out of the '04. The '05 is my keeper and I'm going to eventually get something to curtail the wheel hop. I'm just waiting to see what/who has the best solution.

willsctsv
01-28-05, 08:46 PM
I want to be able to smoke the tires like this beast should, not bounce the rear end right off the car! It could be embarassing when your at a light and you want to come out of the hole with authority and everyone see's a sharp looking car shaking all over the place like it's having a seizure!

wildwhl
01-28-05, 11:01 PM
will -

The cradle bolts were not torqued properly - guarantee it. I've had my bar on and off enough times to know, and the cradle bolts were just removed during repairs to my V by the dealer mechanic who of course used air tools to drive the cradle bolts in place. Air tools do not generate nearly the torque (generally) called for on these bolts - 180 ft lbs front bolts (24mm) and 140 ft lbs rear bolts (21mm). If you don't have a torque wrench, get a quality deep socket (1/2" drive) and the longest breaker bar you can find and really wrench on them.

PROPERLY TORQUED THERE IS NO BANGING/CLANGING/POPPING other than the usual driveline clunk, which of course the pinion support lessens as well (the other part you had installed). Trust me on this one - the wheel hop will not be totally gone JUST AS ADVERTISED but the noises you are hearing can be eliminated by simply properly tightening the cradle bolts. If you can stick a 3/8" ratchet on those bolts and turn them at all - they are not tight enough.

Wild

CVP33
01-28-05, 11:25 PM
I swear I can't make it any tighter! Damned wheel hop.

wildwhl
01-28-05, 11:42 PM
The torque on the cradle bolts only matters if the BMR aluminum and steel shims are in place. Stock, I don't think the bushings being less than the proper torque will make any noise (can't be sure)

c5racr1
01-29-05, 01:39 AM
If you installed the pinion support that is where you are getting your bang from, had the same problem you got to re-torqur the big bolt again. use tro wrenches, and torque the hell out of it, you can't get it tight enough!

CTSV05
01-29-05, 09:56 AM
CVP,

You're so naughty, is that your wife?

willsctsv
01-29-05, 12:27 PM
I will try to torque everything down and let you know the outcome.
Hope it works.

M5eatr
01-29-05, 02:56 PM
Will, I guess it's a NYC thing. My V has a nasty banging also when I get on it hard... :madtalkin . I have to change the oil this week and will see if I can torque those bolts to see if there is any change.

ctsvinman
01-29-05, 03:14 PM
CVP.....

That is by far the greatest avtar I have seen.....:thumbsup: .......:2thumbs:
CTSVMAN out....

willsctsv
01-29-05, 04:49 PM
Just got back from laying down 2 strips of rubber about 100 feet long, with very little hop. Going into 2 and 3 shifts no hop at all only screach! Yes! Finally !
The bolts were not torqued to the specs or close for that matter, this made all the difference. My guy put the car on lift and I watched as the torque wrench immediately moved the bolts at about 45lbs..
Now I'm laying down some rubber without all the shimmy and shaking going on..
The kit definately made a noticeable improvement!

trekster
01-29-05, 05:06 PM
I have both the bmr pinion support and awk sitting in the garage. I'm going to install them once I get my car back from the dealer. I have a torque wrench that goes as high as 75lbs is that enough?

urbanski
01-29-05, 05:20 PM
I have both the bmr pinion support and awk sitting in the garage. I'm going to install them once I get my car back from the dealer. I have a torque wrench that goes as high as 75lbs is that enough?
nope
wildwhl said it above:
Air tools do not generate nearly the torque (generally) called for on these bolts - 180 ft lbs front bolts (24mm) and 140 ft lbs rear bolts (21mm). If you don't have a torque wrench, get a quality deep socket (1/2" drive) and the longest breaker bar you can find and really wrench on them.

get yerself a real Tq wrench, while your baby is healing, k? :D

willsctsv
01-29-05, 05:28 PM
Yep, these bolts need to be tight, my mechanics torque wrench only went to 140, that was ok for the rear, but the fronts I made him go another 1/2 turn past the 140 that was with me helping. He wasn't strong enough! Getting the kind of leverage you need on a garage floor will be difficult. Use a mechanic for his lift.

M5eatr
01-29-05, 06:51 PM
So is this the fix for the hop? Just to tighten a few bolts? :hmm: Do I need to change to the stiffer bushings? If this works, I will consider the procharger. :dance:

wildwhl
01-29-05, 07:27 PM
M5eatr -

I don't think tightening the bolts without the shims/spacers/bar will do much good. Guess we'll have to see how the LPE urethane bushing guys fair.

I have zero hop...only whine/chatter in the differential :(

willsctsv
01-30-05, 10:37 AM
Wildwhl, zero hop? What did you change in the rear. Was it the BMR AWK install and other stuff. What bushings do so many speak of in the rear, that can be changed.

wildwhl
01-30-05, 01:00 PM
Alright, zero is a bit untrue - call it 95% gone. There is a small touch of hop now and then...but really, nothing to complain about. This is what has been done to my V:

BMR AWH kit - torqued bolts to 180 ft lbs front and 140 ft lbs rear
BMR Pinion Support - tight as I could get on the big pinion bushing bolt
GSD3 tires

These three items took wheel hop to probably 85% gone.

The last thing that has been done is when my car was in being repaired from the accident that happened in December, since they were dropping the rear cradle and shocks anyway, I had them put the rear FG2 shocks in (I had already purchased them elsewhere).

Now, the car is, like I said above about 95% "hopless". There are some times that I get just a little and I couldn't tell you why. I have to also let you know that the weather has been cold (highs in the mid 30's, single digit lows) and the roads are quite slick around here (frost, fog, ice, and sand). I haven't had a good chance to do a dry, warm pavement dragstrip style launch where I can get some traction. However, before the mods, anytime I lost traction (part throttle in the rain, etc) the wheel hop was there. Before the mods there were also a few feather the clutch launches that exhibited little to no wheel hop. That probably explains the silver V in the video on the .faq. Go figure. Also note that AFTER the car came back from repairs and FG2 install the hop was terrible - UNTIL - I realized how the dealer had neglected to properly torque the cradle bolts (they were really bad). Once torqued...bye bye hop and bangs!

Other items installed: B&B 3" resonator exhaust (+a few hp), StealthV FFV (+a few hp), lasstss aluminum doorlocks (+3hp), StealthV Cags (+9hp), Rejex on wheels (should cut 1/10th at least at the strip due to reduced drag and shed weight not collecting brake dust), Mallett/Wildwhl shifter (cuts 2/10th's off of each gear selection and adds another 7hp)...you get the idea :)

Have fun with it. The bushings that have been mentioned that I am aware of are:

1) there is rumored to be (some have it) a different pinion support bushing available from the dealer that cures the driveline clunk without the added noise that the BMR P.S. does.

2) LPE has announced they will have a cradle bushing kit that cures 80% of the wheel hop (urethane I think) without any added noise. Keep in mind the BMR AWH adds noise.

3) My rearend is shot (again) and I'm hoping the dealer tries the even newer part number listed somewhere on the forum here recently.

Good luck.

willsctsv
01-30-05, 05:06 PM
When you said rearend shot, do you mean just that the whining gettting louder,or are you getting grinding noises or leaking?
I'm trying to figure out if the perhaps the gear oil thins out too much creating more wear and noise.Today on the hwy the gear oil temp while racing that CLK55 AMG said 180 hottest I ever seen. I could be off a little. Water temp high also while racing about 223 and oil temp went to 220. This was on the hwy. I expeccted it to be a bit lower considering the temperature outside was 37 degrees, and we were driving quite fast creating volumes of cold air. After cruising in 5th and 6th for a few miles in the 75 mph range, temps were as follows, Water 199, oil low 200's and gear oil or trans temp not sure what that symbol is but thast was around 180.
It just doesn't soun right to wear out rears in 1000 miles!

wildwhl
01-30-05, 09:10 PM
grinding and groaning - it could possibly be that it was damaged in the accident and the dealer overlooked it.

I have grease coming from the right rear half shaft at the wheel/hub (bearing?) which is where the damage occured, as well as the differential fluid leaking from the left hand side of the differential :(

haveboost
01-31-05, 10:38 AM
I must say I had those growing pains with my BMR AWK. (clunking noises) but like mentioned above, you torque those bolts and problem solved.

:burn:

calair03
02-01-05, 06:47 PM
So is it the consensus that this kit is really worth the money?

willsctsv
02-01-05, 08:06 PM
Yes!

wildwhl
02-02-05, 12:28 AM
Properly installed the BMR AWH kit is worth the money.

Improperly installed you'll hate it.

Torque them bolts.

calair03
02-02-05, 12:36 AM
What type of noises are you guys talking about...is it the bushings bottoming out or were you just talking when it wasn't torqued enough?

StealthV
02-02-05, 12:41 AM
Properly installed the BMR AWH kit is worth the money.

Improperly installed you'll hate it.

Torque them bolts.

Come here, install mine and I'll tune your V while you're working on my car. :)

wildwhl
02-02-05, 02:05 AM
If only you were a days drive away :)

calair03 - the banging I speak of is that which is heard when the cradle bolts aren't properly torqued. It has to do with the shims, cradle, and bolt diameters. Tight is right.

thebigjimsho
02-02-05, 07:36 PM
If only you were a days drive away :)

calair03 - the banging I speak of is that which is heard when the cradle bolts aren't properly torqued. It has to do with the shims, cradle, and bolt diameters. Tight is right.
Unless there is some type of damage that can be done by not having them torqued correctly in the first place, I have to vehemently deny that this is the case!

I had my V up on an alignment lift, strapped down, with someone in the car disengaging the clutch and we couldn't find anything else knocking around. Afterward, we had everything retorqued to 180lb and the banging is still very pronounced, nevermind the still-abundant wheelhop.

Also, every personal car that I've owned,except for 1, has been a manual. I have extensive experience with manuals. I've dropped clutches, feathered, heel and toed, you name it. My wheelhop is there.

Kels55
02-03-05, 09:24 AM
Unless there is some type of damage that can be done by not having them torqued correctly in the first place, I have to vehemently deny that this is the case!

I had my V up on an alignment lift, strapped down, with someone in the car disengaging the clutch and we couldn't find anything else knocking around. Afterward, we had everything retorqued to 180lb and the banging is still very pronounced, nevermind the still-abundant wheelhop.

Also, every personal car that I've owned,except for 1, has been a manual. I have extensive experience with manuals. I've dropped clutches, feathered, heel and toed, you name it. My wheelhop is there.

I also know mine is torqued correctly and I still get the loud banging and the wheel hop didn't improve much if any, so I don't know what these other people are talking about when they say they don't get any of this.

wildwhl
02-03-05, 09:51 AM
I also know mine is torqued correctly and I still get the loud banging and the wheel hop didn't improve much if any, so I don't know what these other people are talking about when they say they don't get any of this.

Curious...I'm wondering why we're getting different results? The only banging I can think of that I may have eliminated that some others may not have is A) the Pinion Support or B) Kels55 - do you have stock or aftermarket exhaust that could be hitting the BMR bar?

Really makes me wonder what's up here. I have no affiliation with BMR and have in fact removed some of their products from my vehicle due to be unsatisfied with the added noise. So, in other words, I have no reason to lead anyone in the wrong direction :hmm:

Seriously, and I wish I could videotape and post a vid - I do not have ANY banging any more - and wheel hop is all but totally gone. Yes, I feather the clutch, and I don't do clutch popping (side stepping the clutch pedal) launches - as those do in fact still induce some wheel hop (but no banging/popping/metallic oh shiat the half shaft just let go noises) :confused:

Kels55
02-03-05, 10:40 AM
Curious...I'm wondering why we're getting different results? The only banging I can think of that I may have eliminated that some others may not have is A) the Pinion Support or B) Kels55 - do you have stock or aftermarket exhaust that could be hitting the BMR bar?

Really makes me wonder what's up here. I have no affiliation with BMR and have in fact removed some of their products from my vehicle due to be unsatisfied with the added noise. So, in other words, I have no reason to lead anyone in the wrong direction :hmm:

Seriously, and I wish I could videotape and post a vid - I do not have ANY banging any more - and wheel hop is all but totally gone. Yes, I feather the clutch, and I don't do clutch popping (side stepping the clutch pedal) launches - as those do in fact still induce some wheel hop (but no banging/popping/metallic oh shiat the half shaft just let go noises) :confused:

No pinion support brace or aftermarket exhaust yet, just the BMR AWK

thebigjimsho
02-03-05, 02:27 PM

Believe me, I'm not trying to insinuate that you're lying. My personal synopsis, in a way, is the same as yours that tightening up the bolts can quiet things down. My banging since tightening appears to be from the differential pinion area.

BUT, what I don't agree with is the BMR AWK fixing the wheelhop. I never really broke loose the rears hard before installing the kit. But if it has been improved at all, my goodness, it must have been monumentally bad before. The hop feels pretty nasty.

It's unfortunate because I want to get the pinion support brace because I believe my banging would probably be reduced. But I jumped in with the AWK and am not satisfied, so I'm reluctant to toss more money to BMR with continued disappointment.

lasstss
02-03-05, 05:09 PM
Im actually happy with the pinion support. It snugged up the shifts nicely.
I did narrow it as I found it to be too close to the gas tank for my likeing..

willsctsv
02-03-05, 08:24 PM
Glad this post has created alot of discussion. As I said in my previous post, I was also disapointed in the Bmr anti hop kit, but after torquing those bolts it did provide a big improvement. Maybe installing there pinion support added to my results by tightening up the rear. I installed both at the same time so I don't know. But, I never laid rubber with the car before, because every time I tried the car hopped violently and i felt like it was going to fall apart. Not a cool feel in a 50k car! Embarassing to say the least.
Even if I feathered the clutch it still hopped like mad!
Also if I was rolling at 10,15, 20 mph, and then punched it the tires still broke free and hopped like mad!
Now I lay 100 feet of rubber, and it doesn't matter if i feather the clutch or drop it. Although, feathering I get no hop, then I mash it.
The hop now is barely there when i drop the clutch and the V gets sideway a little, I could never do that before. I wont even call it a hop anymore, more like a skip!
But maybe installing both of the items mentioned above helps even more.