: Heavy Duty Ceramic Brake Pads?

vegaspanton
06-06-13, 12:35 PM
I have had my 2012 3.6 coupe (performance package) for several months now. Absolutely love the car:thumbsup:. However, the front wheels get very dirty in a short period of time from the heavy duty factory brake pads:(. I had a similar problem with my C6 with Z51 option and solved it with some quality ceramic brake pads. The CTS coupe is a daily driver. I can not find anyone that makes ceramic pads for the heavy duty brakes on the 3.6 CTS. (Auto Zone, Pep Boys, O Reilly's, Tire Rack, etc.) They all sell a semi metallic pad only for the heavy duty brake option. However, the ceramic brake pads are available for the standard brake package from several of the various manufacturers. Since it appears that no one makes ceramic brakes for the heavy duty brakes, is there a semi metallic pad that does not dust as bad as the factory pads?

Bandit1
06-06-13, 01:00 PM
Have you checked with Carbotech?

RippyPartsDept
06-06-13, 01:40 PM
ACDelco makes ceramic pads too (usually)

being a perf. pkg. maybe not but it's worth checking
http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com (http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/)
use your VIN instead of picking the car for best results and ease of use

arw1510
06-06-13, 02:01 PM
My 2004 cts brake dust is 100 times worse than my 2012 cts brake dust with the heavy duty brakes. Actually the best out of all my cars. Anyone else having the same issue?

zen
06-06-13, 04:58 PM
most of the ceramic pads for J55 brakes are made by a company in Canada. They are available at many places . Amazon has them also. I got mine at PEP Boys.
"PRO STOP CERAMIC" # PR 1331-C

vegaspanton
06-06-13, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all the info

RAB
06-06-13, 07:54 PM
My 2004 cts brake dust is 100 times worse than my 2012 cts brake dust with the heavy duty brakes. Actually the best out of all my cars. Anyone else having the same issue?

arw1510 - note that your 2012 3.6 DI AWD is not equipped with 'J55' heavy duty brakes. The fact that your vehicle is equipped with AWD automatically means that the brake system applied to your '12 CTS is the standard 'JE5' system, which puts ceramic pads front and rear, right from the factory. You can easily confirm your brake system type by having a look at the RPO summary sticker attached to the underside of the spare tire compartment cover.

arw1510
06-06-13, 09:54 PM
arw1510 - note that your 2012 3.6 DI AWD is not equipped with 'J55' heavy duty brakes. The fact that your vehicle is equipped with AWD automatically means that the brake system applied to your '12 CTS is the standard 'JE5' system, which puts ceramic pads front and rear, right from the factory. You can easily confirm your brake system type by having a look at the RPO summary sticker attached to the underside of the spare tire compartment cover.

Note that it in fact does have the j55 brakes. Whose car is it? Would you like a picture of my rpo sticker?

RAB
06-06-13, 11:12 PM
Note that it in fact does have the j55 brakes. Whose car is it? Would you like a picture of my rpo sticker?

Apologies arw1510. No, don't need a photo of your rpo sticker, but thanks for offering mate. Looking at the GM Online Order Guide I've only now discovered you can have J55 performance brakes combined with AWD on the 2012 CTS Sport Wagon, but not on the Sport Sedan. It's gathered then you own a '12 Sport Wagon. My 2011 CTS Premium 3.6 DI AWD Sport Sedan is equipped with JE5 standard brakes.

arw1510
06-07-13, 05:35 PM
Apologies arw1510. No, don't need a photo of your rpo sticker, but thanks for offering mate. Looking at the GM Online Order Guide I've only now discovered you can have J55 performance brakes combined with AWD on the 2012 CTS Sport Wagon, but not on the Sport Sedan. It's gathered then you own a '12 Sport Wagon. My 2011 CTS Premium 3.6 DI AWD Sport Sedan is equipped with JE5 standard brakes.

Nope. Sports sedan

RippyPartsDept
06-07-13, 06:06 PM
PM me your VIN ... (or post it here) ... i'll check on the pads for you and see if there are any ceramics available

cawengr
06-07-13, 09:15 PM
I have a 2011 Coupe with the J55 brake option. I replaced the fronts with Pep Boys PROSTOP PR1331C Ceramic Pads.
Best thing I have done, no more Black brake dust. Stopping power is about the same.
I would not go back to semi metallic pads.
I don't k ow if the 2012 is the same but I would assume it should be.

dreiloft
06-07-13, 09:43 PM
I have a 2011 Coupe with the J55 brake option. I replaced the fronts with Pep Boys PROSTOP PR1331C Ceramic Pads.
Best thing I have done, no more Black brake dust. Stopping power is about the same.
I would not go back to semi metallic pads.
I don't k ow if the 2012 is the same but I would assume it should be.

Yes they are the same, terrible brake dust. Tried all the aftermarket products to repel with out any good results.

vegaspanton
06-08-13, 05:39 PM
Went to Pep Boys yesterday and they did not show that particular brake. Since 3 of you have named the same PROSTOP PR1331C brake with good results I will go back and check again. Thanks:thumbsup:

RAB
06-08-13, 08:47 PM
Nope. Sports sedan

Hmm, interesting - this has me curious. The '12 (and '13) GM Online Order Ref Guide is evidently incorrect. I've sent you a PM. Can you please email a photo of your rpo sticker - I want to have a look at all the rpo codes that make up your '12 CTS Sport Sedan. Thanks.

arw1510
06-08-13, 10:43 PM
Sure, lets hope for gm's sake that I am wrong. When I ordered my caliper covers I remember it being j55, or at least that's what the email order confirmation says lol

vegaspanton
06-08-13, 11:06 PM
Nothing in my PM. However the RPO sticker does have the J55 option

arw1510
06-08-13, 11:08 PM

It think he was referring to me. I got one but haven't gotten a chance to take a picture. Trunk is too full of crap

RAB
06-09-13, 01:19 AM
Sure, lets hope for gm's sake that I am wrong. When I ordered my caliper covers I remember it being j55, or at least that's what the email order confirmation says lol

Yeah, let's hope for GM's sake you're wrong. LOL! I think my money's on GM.
In one of your posts from last year (link below) you said your '12 CTS AWD Sedan is equipped with the FE3 suspension. That's not possible - Cadillac doesn't allow FE3 with AWD on the CTS. FE3 is available only with RWD.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-2013-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/264291-need-help-searching-my-next-car.html#post3021758
Your AWD car appears to have option FE5, which puts the 19 inch wheel/tire package on the car along with paddle shifters.
Looking forward to seeing a photo of your rpo sticker - that'll help clear things up.

----------

Vegaspanton, for your 2012 CTS Coupe equipped with J55 performance (heavy duty) brakes... to greatly reduce visible brake dust on the front wheels you need model "1331" ceramic brake pads. Model 1331 ceramic brake pads are available from several sources, including Pep Boys (PROSTOP PR1331C), Amazon, NAPA and TireRack. All 2nd gen CTS J55 brakes have the same application/dimensions, beginning from the '08 model-year Sport Sedan through to the '13 model-year Sport Sedan and Coupe.
As info, the matter of replacing the factory semi-metallic front pads with ceramic pads on J55-equipped cars has been covered in several threads over the past 5+ years. Here are links to some of those threads:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-2013-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/172231-difference-between-j55-standard-brakes.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-2013-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/230194-j55-brake-pads.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-2013-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/215317-hawk-brake-pads-j55-dont-make.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-2013-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/252524-brake-dust-2011-cts-coupe.html

vegaspanton
06-09-13, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the good info:thumbsup:. What is strange is that the Pep Boys in the Las Vegas area does not list the 1331C for the 2012, but it does for the 2011????:bigroll: I suspect it is a cataloging problem on their end. From everything I have read there is no difference in the J55 option for either year.

RAB
06-09-13, 04:39 AM
Thanks for the good info:thumbsup:. What is strange is that the Pep Boys in the Las Vegas area does not list the 1331C for the 2012, but it does for the 2011????:bigroll: I suspect it is a cataloging problem on their end. From everything I have read there is no difference in the J55 option for either year.

No problem. That's a cataloging issue at Pep Boys. The J55 brakes on your '12 Coupe are no different from an '11 Coupe or Sedan.

arw1510
06-09-13, 09:22 AM
yeah, that fe3 was probably a typo. but get this. Under my spare tire cover there is two rpo stickers. I matched the vins up and the one that matches is je5. so your right. the sticker that clearly doesnt belong there is j55 lol. so who else did we confuse with this? lol

So now im trying to think of how the heck this happened. When i bought the car, it didnt have a spare tire, so the sales manager said he would throw one in there if i bought it. I showed up to take delivery, and there was no spare tire, so i threatened to walk out but the guy stopped me and said he would swap out the trunk trays from another car, so im assuming in that process that when they swapped it, they moved my rpo sticker to the new cover, but forgot to take the old one off? it wouldnt be the weirdest thing ive gone through with these cars.

vegaspanton
07-02-13, 01:52 PM
Despite not being listed for the 2012 CTS coupe with heavy duty brakes I purchased as suggested above from Pep Boys their PRO STOP PR 1331-C ceramic brakes (listed in their 2011 model year computer catalog). Easy install, good performance, very little dust:thumbsup: