: spectra cold air intake stage one and two.

dre 2jz
06-06-13, 11:02 AM
i own a small automotive repair shop in baltimore, md. i just got my CAI. i installed it and the check engine light came on, lean on bank 1 and bank 2. downshifts very hard from 2nd. gear to 1st. got to have the ecu retuned and that's going to set me back 400 dollars. going to do this coming sunday. i'll let you guys know how it turns out. right now i'm not a happy camper.

mjs182004
06-06-13, 11:12 AM
Did you put that plastic sleeve in?

1madstsv
06-06-13, 12:01 PM
Who is going to tune it? My tuner is coming in to town on the 19th. But yes you will need a retune our run the sleeve to be able to use it.

Fierofiend
06-06-13, 12:19 PM
I'm all stock other than the spectre 1 and 2. I'm using the sleeve, no issues, no CEL

PGA2B
06-06-13, 06:37 PM
Put the black sleeve back in. If the sleeve is in then check for your leak. If the sleeve is in and you have a code one of your connections is not sealed properly.

dre 2jz
06-07-13, 01:10 PM
thanks for the sleeve tip

----------

the tuner is a guy named brad brooks. he tuned my 2jz and a few of my friends cars as well. he's a pretty good tuner.

PGA2B
06-07-13, 01:23 PM
You can pull out the sleeve when he tunes it.

1madstsv
06-07-13, 02:15 PM
A 2jz is not even close to a north star. If you want some one who knows how to get the most out of the
engine/ trans let me know. If he has not tuned any cars with our trans in it I would not let him do it. To get the most out of the Sts you need to tune the trans and Tq management more than the engine.

dre 2jz
06-08-13, 08:08 PM
once again i'd like to thank you. i put the sleeve in and the car God in the sky smiled on me once again. maybe i should try reading the instructions next time. now back to my tuner, he has a vette that he owns and he got 40 rwh out of it with a cai, exhaust, and a tune. i still would like to talk to your guy if he's available.

1madstsv
06-09-13, 07:29 AM
Fasterproms.net is where you can reach him. He will be in gettysburg pa 6-19/6-24. He has tuned the fastes Ctsv in the country and my old Stsv that is the fastest Stsv. He had tuned over 10 Stsv now witch is more than most have ever seen.

STS LC3
06-09-13, 05:37 PM
Fasterproms.net is where you can reach him. He will be in gettysburg pa 6-19/6-24. He has tuned the fastes Ctsv in the country and my old Stsv that is the fastest Stsv. He had tuned over 10 Stsv now witch is more than most have ever seen.
It's good to know he comes to Fort Myers too, 10 minutes away from me.

dre 2jz
06-10-13, 11:11 AM
i'll look him up, sounds like he's the man when it comes to the cadillac. my goal is 450 to the wheels. i still have a few more go fast goodies to buy before i'm ready to tune. thanks again for all of your help.

dre 2jz
08-23-13, 09:34 AM
here is a quick update: got the timmy c exchanger installed, the magnaflow x pipe and mufflers. sent the supercharger to fastproms in florida to do a port and polish job, while it was there they pressed on the smooth flow 2.55 mm pulley. trying to decide now if i should get the 72 lb injectors or keep the factory ones in. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

rbzstsv
08-23-13, 05:53 PM
I could be wrong but I dont think port/polish has any gains on this car. Id put that money into something else if you can. Good luck with build though. Pictures?

TimmyC
08-23-13, 10:06 PM
Certain port designs will show pretty good gains when combined with other mods. I have not seen any gains near stock power levels.

1madstsv
08-24-13, 07:02 AM
He just got the blower back from being ported and he will be having it tuned buy my tuner so It will be interested in seeing the gane. He might have it tuned yet to day. They looked at my ported blower and then ported his 10%-15% more looked real good.

dre 2jz
10-19-13, 06:22 PM
finally got the new ported and polished supercharger on. did some research on coolant additives and they seem to help a little but nothing to brag about, but for 10 bucks why not put it in. my dyno tune date is next week on the 26 of October in PA, with Jeremy from faster proms in Florida. i"ll let you guys know what the numbers are, but i didn't do a before dyno run to see what the car was making in stock trim.

rbzstsv
10-20-13, 06:01 PM

What mods did you have done to your v?

dre 2jz
10-21-13, 09:00 AM
hey rbzstsv, everything i did is posted on the first page.

dre 2jz
10-26-13, 04:35 PM
first off, thanks thanks to rob ( 1madstsv ) for answering all my questions and giving me much needed advice, and to gizzmo as well. today was d day and it didn't go as planned. i only dynoed a 365 wrhp. the bright side is that i did it with only 9 psi. i'm losing 4 psi somewhere and nobody seems to know where. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and if i cant make this thing run faster, i"m going to sell it. it has 30k and it is super clean.

----------

by the way, i forgot to mention that jeremy is a class act and so is keith from keiths pit stop. those guys welcomed me with open arms and treated me like one of the family. great guys to meet and know.

TimmyC
10-26-13, 05:05 PM
You should be making way more power than that. My car made 454rwhp with my intake, 2.4 pulley, 85mm throttle body, porting, and my tune.

dre 2jz
10-26-13, 06:01 PM
that's why i'm so upset. i put in too much time, money, and physical labor to see those kind of numbers. i am so sick right now.

dre 2jz
11-09-13, 10:27 PM
finally got this v right 12 psi @ 11.5AFR. INSANE ACCELERATION. horsepower is not known, but every program and calculation that i've researched puts me around 485. my conquest with a 2jz supra swap has 480 and my v is definitely faster and much quicker.

TimmyC
11-09-13, 10:41 PM
Glad you got something figured out. What was the problem?

469 is stock so you must be making more than 485.

2007blackbty
11-09-13, 10:44 PM
So what was the problem? 360 to 480 is big jump

TimmyC
11-09-13, 10:50 PM
So what was the problem? 360 to 480 is big jump

It's not making 480 to the wheels with these mods. Probably around 420-430rwhp.

2007blackbty
11-09-13, 11:20 PM
will be making a road trip to you tim in end of feb to get that 454rwhp that you talk of before I go back to work off layoff.any new updates on new mods?

dre 2jz
11-10-13, 12:00 AM
My boost bypass valve was adjusted all the way up, i loosened the two 10mm screws and put it all the way down and that did fixed the problem.

----------

Sorry for the typo,trying to type on a cell phone is difficult with big fingers

TimmyC
11-10-13, 01:16 AM
My boost bypass valve was adjusted all the way up, i loosened the two 10mm screws and put it all the way down and that did fixed the problem.

----------

Sorry for the typo,trying to type on a cell phone is difficult with big fingers

That makes sense.

I've got a couple more things about ready to be released that upped my power to 480rwhp/490rwtq

dre 2jz
11-10-13, 12:49 PM
I'll be looking forward to the products that Timmy c has to make more power.

Carlosg
11-10-13, 03:58 PM
How does moving the bypass down fix it?

dre 2jz
11-10-13, 08:35 PM
How does moving the bypass down fix it?honestly carlosg, i don't know. i was making 9 psi on the dyno. i got back to the shop and moved it all the way up and it made only 7 psi. i thought the brand new aem gauge was faulty, then i move it all the way down just to see what would happen out of curiosity and hit 12 psi with pretty good acceleration. i'm going to investigate it further to find out all of the how's, what's, and why's. it was late at night when i did it, and i was just happy that it finally ran like i hoped it would.

PGA2B
11-10-13, 08:49 PM
If it is set wrong the bypass valve never fully closes and you leak boost.

dre 2jz
11-10-13, 09:32 PM
ok carlosg, i have a technical answer for your question. i went on all data, which is a repair program for automotive techs, the bypass valve regulates how much pressure the s/c can make. by opening the valve the pressure starts to drop at a predictable rate which is measurable in psi. if the bypass valve is as far down as it can be, the valve will open as little as possible. which will maintain a higher psi. if the valve is moved all the way up, the valve will move the maximum distance that it can and will loose psi.

----------

If it is set wrong the bypass valve never fully closes and you leak boost.you are correct PGA2B. you put it in a very simple way to understand. thanks for helping me answer that question.

----------

If it is set wrong the bypass valve never fully closes and you leak boost.you are correct PGA2B. you put it in a very simple way to understand. thanks for helping me answer that question. where were you when i asked for help last week?

----------

i built this car for one reason. to beat the crap out of a mercedes benz c 63. i know a guy who thinks that his stock set up can whip everything on the street. i can't wait to see him on the road.

Carlosg
11-10-13, 09:34 PM
The reason why I ask, I look at mine on the car mine was at a angle so I lower it all way down. I also had one of my vacuum line broken a while back n put a piece of rubber hose on it and work but I replaced with a smaller hose from napa ( wiper hose I use). I also made attempt to adjust my idler pulley cause I have belt slippage on sc. I'm assuming I moved the idler pulley a bit didn't have the right tool. So after all that I took a ride boost seem good. I was told when I had the car tune I had belt slippage, and occasionally I would notice it but when I race I my brother in his g8 I saw my boost go down at high speed.

dre 2jz
11-11-13, 12:05 PM
The reason why I ask, I look at mine on the car mine was at a angle so I lower it all way down. I also had one of my vacuum line broken a while back n put a piece of rubber hose on it and work but I replaced with a smaller hose from napa ( wiper hose I use). I also made attempt to adjust my idler pulley cause I have belt slippage on sc. I'm assuming I moved the idler pulley a bit didn't have the right tool. So after all that I took a ride boost seem good. I was told when I had the car tune I had belt slippage, and occasionally I would notice it but when I race I my brother in his g8 I saw my boost go down at high speed.i have a 2.55 pulley and no belt slippage so i think you may need a new belt.

Carlosg
11-11-13, 01:26 PM
I have the upper n lower pulley on my ride.

dre 2jz
11-11-13, 02:35 PM
I have the upper n lower pulley on my ride. i would go to an auto parts store and get a belt that's a little shorter and see if that helps

Carlosg
11-11-13, 05:37 PM
Try that nothing smaller then what I got. Thanks

dre 2jz
11-11-13, 08:57 PM
Try that nothing smaller then what I got. Thanks make sure that the boost valve is all the way down on both screws,that might do the trick. if not, call me on my cell and we'll do everything we can to get you straight. 443 790-6022

Carlosg
11-11-13, 09:21 PM
K thank for your help.

1madstsv
11-11-13, 09:30 PM
You will loose boost as your speed gets faster and loads change. If you are having belt slip you will know it when you open the hood and see black dust on every thing. You will not be able to miss it. But if you are just seeing boost go down 2-3 psi at high speed that's normal with boosted cars.

TimmyC
11-12-13, 07:41 PM
You will loose boost as your speed gets faster and loads change. If you are having belt slip you will know it when you open the hood and see black dust on every thing. You will not be able to miss it. But if you are just seeing boost go down 2-3 psi at high speed that's normal with boosted cars.

Boost drop only occurs when your supercharger is pullied up past its efficiency range. Stock STS-Vs don't do this.

parkeraire
11-13-13, 06:38 AM
Would a larger idler puller help?