: Siri and Handsfree

gohawks63
06-06-13, 11:27 AM
Not sure how many of you tried this, but I have found that Siri (iPhone) works pretty well with the hands free system in the CTS. Last night on my way home from work I had to make a stop along the way. I had sent the destination to the in-dash navigation ahead of time. As I was driving I was running late and wanted to call the store, but I didn't have the number. When I pressed the button on my iPhone, Siri connected to the Handsfree system through Bluetooth. I asked Siri to find the location and "She" then asked me if I needed directions or if I wanted to call them (all using the in car mic and speakers). I stated that I wanted to call. I then heard the Handsfree system say "call ended" which I assume was Siri disconnecting from Handsfree. My phone then was dialing the number and reconnected via Bluetooth to the Handsfree system.

It all worked pretty seamlessly. I just had to push the home button on the iPhone as opposed to the button on the steering wheel.

Jagillac
06-06-13, 11:44 AM
I agree. It works surprisingly well. Even the speech to text function. Jeeps your hAnds and eyes free to focus on driving.

gohawks63
06-06-13, 11:51 AM
I agree. It works surprisingly well. Even the speech to text function. Jeeps your hAnds and eyes free to focus on driving.

Might help with your posting too. ;)

Kidding of course.

reciprocity
06-06-13, 01:28 PM
Agreed: it works surprisingly well given the outdated system in the current CTS. I just wish someone would produce a single, bluetooth button that could trigger Siri Eyes Free. Digging in your pants pocket to find the iPhone home button isn't terribly convenient (or safe while driving).

1955CTS4
06-06-13, 06:24 PM
I have an android and I push the phone button in the wheel and say "hands free" and he car "wakes up" my phone. I say "call (someone in my contacts)" and the phone and car does the rest usually seamlessly. I do get an occasional hiccup with voice recognition but for the most part it works great.

gohawks63
06-06-13, 06:35 PM
I have an android and I push the phone button in the wheel and say "hands free" and he car "wakes up" my phone. I say "call (someone in my contacts)" and the phone and car does the rest usually seamlessly. I do get an occasional hiccup with voice recognition but for the most part it works great.

Mine does that too, but I like that you can actually converse with Siri for other things like searching for a destination.

Jagillac
06-06-13, 06:58 PM
Might help with your posting too. ;)

Kidding of course.

Ahhh damn that was bad. Haha I was half asleep literally when I wrote that last night haha.

1955CTS4
06-07-13, 01:42 PM
I haven't tried that. I'll have to give it a go. That does sound useful.

LEOinDC
06-08-13, 06:37 PM
Agreed: it works surprisingly well given the outdated system in the current CTS. I just wish someone would produce a single, bluetooth button that could trigger Siri Eyes Free. Digging in your pants pocket to find the iPhone home button isn't terribly convenient (or safe while driving).

I installed the GEN 8.2 OnStar module in my 2008 CTS4.

After pressing the speech recognition button on the steering wheel, I then say "handsfree". Wait a moment, I then say "bluetooth". Wait a moment, I will hear "bluetooth ready". Wait a moment, I then say "voice".

I hear the Siri tone through the vehicle sound system and speak any instruction which it performs. I never touch the iPhone 4S.

Give it a try.

jeffc83
06-08-13, 07:17 PM
I installed the GEN 8.2 OnStar module in my 2008 CTS4.

After pressing the speech recognition button on the steering wheel, I then say "handsfree". Wait a moment, I then say "bluetooth". Wait a moment, I will hear "bluetooth ready". Wait a moment, I then say "voice".

I hear the Siri tone through the vehicle sound system and speak any instruction which it performs. I never touch the iPhone 4S.

Give it a try.

Works with android too but is certainly not in infamous Siri...

Bonnell
06-09-13, 08:52 AM
I use the handsfree function to call from my iPhone. I purchased the new Nokia Lumnia 920 on the day it became available and I used it with my bluetooth also. It had the capability of reading my text messages to me and then allowing me to answer. I ended up hating that phone (really the Windows OS) and I got another iPhone and sold the Nokia.

Has anyone had any luck texting hands-free using Siri?

gohawks63
06-09-13, 10:34 AM
I use the handsfree function to call from my iPhone. I purchased the new Nokia Lumnia 920 on the day it became available and I used it with my bluetooth also. It had the capability of reading my text messages to me and then allowing me to answer. I ended up hating that phone (really the Windows OS) and I got another iPhone and sold the Nokia.

Has anyone had any luck texting hands-free using Siri?

I have on occasion, my wife does it all the time.

dbischoff
06-11-13, 10:52 PM
I installed a BlueStar (made by Costartech.com) which replaces the Onstar box in my 09, which didn't support bluetooth. I discovered that Siri works well. not just for placing calls or getting directions. I also tell it to "play music" and it shuffles the songs on my phone. The BlueStar is wired to the AUX in on the car stereo, and will stream audio as well as phone calls. I can do things like tell it to "skip this song" or ask "who did this song" and my phone doesn't have to leave my pocket.

VitCTS
11-22-14, 02:00 AM
Hey dbischoff, how did you actually install the BlueStar? I bought one and just received and have no idea how to do it. Any way you can give me a how to? Or is this something I have to take to the shop to do? I have a 2011 CTS Coupe.

steve755
11-24-14, 12:48 PM
Has anyone tried the "Hey Siri" function? Based on what I'm hearing if you have your iPhone plugged into the charger, you should not have to press a button at all, just Say Hey Siri which initiates Siri on you phone. I hadn't thought of it but will try next time I'm in the CTS.

next2pool
11-24-14, 09:37 PM
Has anyone tried the "Hey Siri" function? Based on what I'm hearing if you have your iPhone plugged into the charger, you should not have to press a button at all, just Say Hey Siri which initiates Siri on you phone. I hadn't thought of it but will try next time I'm in the CTS. It works but sometimes too well. Since it is always listening it will blurt out something stupid once in a while thinking that it asked you a question--humorous sometimes.

J Bubba
11-27-14, 01:35 AM
Cortana on Windows phone is way better than Siri any day.... just say'n.