: If you're not driving on Michelin Pilot SUPER SPORTS you must pick up a set!

Mr. LCP
06-05-13, 10:18 PM
The level of traction grip when accelerating and cornering, even when cold is an entirely new echelon of performance over a lesser tire like the Pilot Sport. And if you've gone to a lesser tire than the Pilot Sport, the difference must be insurmountable. These tires transform driving this car especially with how easily it used to light up the rears. Please pick them up if you can. They also last longer to offset their price; keep that in mind.

Club Malibu
06-05-13, 10:50 PM
Soon......

baabootoo
06-05-13, 11:01 PM
Yes, I got some last year, and was able only to use them a little. I love them so far too!

thebigjimsho
06-05-13, 11:43 PM
Stop yelling at me!

:popcorn:

Tedboss1
06-06-13, 10:38 AM
Has anybody tried the Super Sports in 1/4 mile?

What would be the improvement in 0 to 60 foot times?

ptrd
06-06-13, 11:48 AM
only place available is maybe tirerack....sucks.

thebigjimsho
06-06-13, 04:53 PM
Tire Rack is the best.

cruiser68
06-06-13, 06:03 PM
I guess I'm psyched since I have a fresh set to go on whenever I get around to pulling my track tires/wheels. They look good sitting next to my lift :)

Got them from tire rack. Yes, that place rocks. I sold them some high tech DC torquing tools to do their multi-piece wheel assembly on-site. They have a short test track and every month they HAVE to take one of their fleet of cars on the track to evaluate tires so they have first hand experience. Very cool facility.

spearfish25
06-07-13, 07:57 PM
I'm sorry but these night and day tire reviews are very sketchy and are usually more buyer self - reassurance than reality. If you put Pilot Sports and Super Sports on a pair of V's, I'd bet the lap times would be within 1-2 seconds of each other on a road course. Heck, even drag radials on a stock V seem to improve a 1/4 mi time by about 0.5s. So, no. Super Sports aren't a world better.

That being said, they are very likely to be the next tire on my car. I'm just not expecting them to be R comps.

Tire Rack is a great place and worth a visit to their South Bend headquarters. They hold autocross events on their test track and it's awesome. Like a mini road course.

Moparman4444
06-07-13, 09:02 PM
I'm glad you like your PS2 tires. I presume you are in a very warm climate and have smooth roads. In the Midwest and colder to moderate temps, I think they suck big time. They are hard, noisy and have poor traction under 65 degree temps. Don't flame me, this has just been my experience with two different sets of PS2's.

spearfish25
06-07-13, 09:12 PM
I'm glad you like your PS2 tires. I presume you are in a very warm climate and have smooth roads. In the Midwest and colder to moderate temps, I think they suck big time. They are hard, noisy and have poor traction under 65 degree temps. Don't flame me, this has just been my experience with two different sets of PS2's.

You're pretty much describing any maximum performance summer tire.

muohio
06-07-13, 09:35 PM
How much longer do they really last?

spearfish25
06-07-13, 09:45 PM

Again, super subjective and not something you're going to get any kind of reliable answer regarding.

thebigjimsho
06-08-13, 12:07 AM

My V was in MA...

rgp6373
06-08-13, 09:22 AM
Well I have 640rwhp and with the pilot ss I can put full throttle in 2nd gear, with the old ps2 i would spin well into 3rd gear even 4th . So yes they makes huge difference

CavemanB52
06-08-13, 11:21 AM
I've got about 580 rwhp and I have 295 PS2 on the rear. They were great in Louisiana where periodic rain washes the road. I'm out in dusty New Mexico right now 4000+ altitude thus significant power reduction. But with the dust and oil on the road its like the ice I drove on growing up in Michigan. Crazy slippery.

spearfish25
06-08-13, 06:42 PM
Well I have 640rwhp and with the pilot ss I can put full throttle in 2nd gear, with the old ps2 i would spin well into 3rd gear even 4th . So yes they makes huge difference

So you're likely comparing your new SSs to your out going, heat cycled, worn PS2s?

That kind of difference isn't explained by PS2 vs SS if conditions are the same and both tire sets are new. Just not true. Sorry.

CavemanB52
06-08-13, 08:49 PM
SS better.

rgp6373
06-08-13, 09:40 PM
No I'm comparing the two sets of ps2 that I had That even when stock the v had traction issues at full throttle, I have had my v since new so I do know the difference, the ss is a far superior tire as far as traction in the dry

spearfish25
06-08-13, 10:48 PM
I'm looking forward to trying them. I've been pretty impressed with the PS2s. The RE-11s I had before were good tires especially once they were warmed up but even the PS2s feel like an improvement. A friend just put some SSs on the front of his BMW Z M and is autox'ing tomorrow. Excited to see how they impact his handling.

ninja44
06-09-13, 07:49 AM
Will a 295 fit on the rear of a 9.5" sedan wheel without bulging up in the centre of the tire?

spearfish25
06-09-13, 08:08 AM
Will a 295 fit on the rear of a 9.5" sedan wheel without bulging up in the centre of the tire?

You'd be right at the very limit and may get some strange wear patterns. Ideally you'd run about a 265 on a 9.5" rim and a 295 on a 10". Road and Track just had a great little piece this month on how tire widths impact tread contact patch. There is a sweet spot for each vehicle. Too narrow and you get a larger front/rear contact rectangle that favors acceleration and braking at the expense of cornering grip. Swing over to the wider side and you get better lateral grip at the expense of cornering and braking.

CavemanB52
06-09-13, 11:13 AM
I've seen 305 35 MT on a sedan. Does low 11s in a quarter.

rgp6373
06-09-13, 01:00 PM
I'm running the 295 ss on a 10.5inch wide rim, the tire guys I talked to said the pilot ss fits wider than other tires

Mr. LCP
06-09-13, 03:11 PM

SS just have so much more to give before you feel them start to let go. Straight line hookup ability is much better than PS2's. I've never seen an owner who didn't feel the same.

----------

My last car was trending about 50% better mileage than other maximum performance tires.

Chrispy
06-10-13, 09:42 AM
I'm sorry but these night and day tire reviews are very sketchy and are usually more buyer self - reassurance than reality. If you put Pilot Sports and Super Sports on a pair of V's, I'd bet the lap times would be within 1-2 seconds of each other on a road course. Heck, even drag radials on a stock V seem to improve a 1/4 mi time by about 0.5s. So, no. Super Sports aren't a world better.

That being said, they are very likely to be the next tire on my car. I'm just not expecting them to be R comps.

Tire Rack is a great place and worth a visit to their South Bend headquarters. They hold autocross events on their test track and it's awesome. Like a mini road course.

I'd love a 1-2 second improvement on a road course from a street tire swap that losts longer :)

Tedboss1
06-10-13, 10:13 AM
Has anybody tried the Super Sports in 1/4 mile?

What would be the improvement in 0 to 60 foot times?

I was hoping that somebody has tried the two types of tire in 1/4 mile and has quantitative results.

spearfish25
06-10-13, 11:49 AM
I'd bet both my testicles that either the Hankook RS-3s or the new Dunlop Direzza ZIIs would demolish the SSs.

rgp6373
06-10-13, 05:05 PM
Then you would loose your balls, lol . I have some friends that road race corvettes and they say that nothing short of a shaved r compound tire can match the ss, I will be running at the 1/4 mile in a couple weeks I will post the results.
No spearfish they will not be back to back results but opinions are all we have on these forums and just out of curiosity how many different tires have you tried on your V?

spearfish25
06-10-13, 07:01 PM
Then you would loose your balls, lol . I have some friends that road race corvettes and they say that nothing short of a shaved r compound tire can match the ss, I will be running at the 1/4 mile in a couple weeks I will post the results.
No spearfish they will not be back to back results but opinions are all we have on these forums and just out of curiosity how many different tires have you tried on your V?

Haven't tried any other tires aside from the PS2s on the V. But I've been through RE-11s, Hankook Ventus V12s, and RE050As on my previous car. Some experience from friends using SSs and RS-3s. The hardcore autoX guys I know favor the RS3s and Direzza Star Specs over any other tire on the market. They kind of laugh at the Michelin offerings as they're more geared to all-round wet and dry performance rather than ultimate dry performance. Just look at the tread blocks...RS3 and Direzzas look like F1 Intermediates. They are classified as "Extreme Performance" which is a category above the "Max Performance" of the SSs on the TireRack website. Interpret those categories how you will (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/tiretype.jsp)

I'm really not anti-SSs. I just dislike reading threads where monumental claims are made about a single product and everyone then decides this product is the end-all. Fortunately for us car enthusiasts, we have tons of great options.

Here is a good read that's probably as objective as we'll get for a comparison of the SSs with some other tires: http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/1101_testing_the_michelin_pilot_super_sport/viewall.html

And one that's pro-SS: http://skiddmark.com/2011/10/track-test-michelin-pilot-sport-performance-tyres/

CavemanB52
06-10-13, 11:13 PM
I've ran the original stock 285 35 pilot sports, 305 35 MT and 295 35 SS all at the 1/4. Currently are using the SS. The SS did do better consistantly over stock pilots by about 3 tenths. But the MTs were a full half second or more better over stock all due to 60 ft times. But with the MT my trap speeds dropped by about five miles an hour and they suck at high speeds on the highway. I think the SS are an all around happy medium IMHO. I decided to add power and make up for the loss of traction I would have got with the MTs and add speed on the other end. To clarify I have a M6 stock pilots best quarter 12.6 MTs best quarter 11.98. SSs best quarter 12.3. Just added about 80-90hp to the wheels. Hope to beat the 11.98 with the SSs on but haven't tried yet. Keep you all informed.

GMX322V S/C
06-11-13, 01:42 AM
...If you put Pilot Sports and Super Sports on a pair of V's, I'd bet the lap times would be within 1-2 seconds of each other on a road course...
1-2 seconds a lap would be a blow-away on a typical road course, I'd take that any day...

spearfish25
06-11-13, 07:01 PM
1-2 seconds a lap would be a blow-away on a typical road course, I'd take that any day...

Anyone racing won't be using SSs anyway. And 1-2 seconds a lap at an untimed, non-competitive HPDE is meaningless.

CavemanB52
06-11-13, 07:37 PM
Anyone racing won't be using SSs anyway. And 1-2 seconds a lap at an untimed, non-competitive HPDE is meaningless.

Agree. I'd go R compound for any real racing. But SS is the best of both worlds. And they last longer.

GMX322V S/C
06-11-13, 09:19 PM
Anyone racing won't be using SSs anyway. And 1-2 seconds a lap at an untimed, non-competitive HPDE is meaningless.It's a consistent comparison you brought up. If it's meaningless, then just go cheapest.

thebigjimsho
06-11-13, 11:16 PM
It's a consistent comparison you brought up. If it's meaningless, then just go cheapest.

Ba da bing!

htjbusiness
10-25-13, 04:56 PM
At Discount Tire. Getting 255/40/19 in the front, 295/35/19 in the rear. PSS. Replacing the oem ps2.

Houdini
10-25-13, 06:05 PM
I did the same from tirerack.... been liking them so far.

htjbusiness
10-25-13, 07:45 PM
No wheel spin. Smoother ride. No rubbing.