: New Tires for my 2010 CTS-V Sedan - Which ones to get?

rpgibbs
06-05-13, 09:27 PM
Bought an off lease 2010 White Diamond CTS-V sedan (6 Speed manual and all of the goodies) with 38K miles and tires had been replaced with Hankook EVO V12's at around 22k. They are ok for now but will be replacing in 3 to 6 months. Would appreciate recommendations as to which tires to consider. We live in South Florida so summer driving only needed. Thanks

Trapspeed
06-05-13, 09:44 PM
Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

ptrd
06-05-13, 10:06 PM
^if discount tire had them in stock, already tried to order. I might have to break down and get them from tirerack.

USAFRET
06-05-13, 10:08 PM
I have the Hankook V12's on my 11 coupe and had them on my wife's 08 Jaguar XK. I really like them, but I'm no longer pushing my car to the limits, they are quiet, smooth and actually very grippy in the rain and not to bad in the cold. Haven't had them in snow yet.

So for the money they are a great choice.

thebigjimsho
06-05-13, 11:38 PM
I have the Hankook V12's on my 11 coupe and had them on my wife's 08 Jaguar XK. I really like them, but I'm no longer pushing my car to the limits, they are quiet, smooth and actually very grippy in the rain and not to bad in the cold. Haven't had them in snow yet.

So for the money they are a great choice.

I wouldn't say wet grip is any better with the Hankooks. It's the resistance to hydroplaning that makes them so good in the rain...

DiamondWhtV
06-06-13, 10:15 AM
Have the EVO's and will get them again. I don't track the car and is my DD. Get better mileage/wear on these than the PS2. Reverse crabbing isn't as noticable in cold weather either.

musclecar6
06-06-13, 12:21 PM
Michelin pilot super sports. They have great reviews. When my PS2's wear out, it's the tire I will get.

FSTCDY
06-07-13, 12:51 AM
My Hankooks are at the end of their life and having super sports put on Saturday. The Hankooks did just fine all around compared to the stockers and cheaper too. The price difference at discount for the super sports was just a couple hundred, so I decided to change it up and see what all the fuss is about.

I will have a good comparison soon enough! Lol

lbenoit
06-07-13, 02:28 PM
I recently installed the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my 2009 CTS-V. These are equal or superior to the PS2 in every performance category and significantly superior to the Continental ExtremeContact DW tires that they replaced. During the first two years of ownership, I went through two sets of Michelin PS2 tires and got only 10,000 out of each set --- simply terrible wear. They have to be among the very worst values for a street tire -- ever. The Pilot Super Sports have a 36% higher wear rating and cost $400 less per set than the PS2 (Tire Rack pricing). For maximum performance at a resonable price, I highly recommend the Pilot Super Sports.

thebigjimsho
06-07-13, 02:37 PM
I recently installed the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my 2009 CTS-V. These are equal or superior to the PS2 in every performance category and significantly superior to the Continental ExtremeContact DW tires that they replaced. During the first two years of ownership, I went through two sets of Michelin PS2 tires and got only 10,000 out of each set --- simply terrible wear. They have to be among the very worst values for a street tire -- ever. The Pilot Super Sports have a 36% higher wear rating and cost $400 less per set than the PS2 (Tire Rack pricing). For maximum performance at a resonable price, I highly recommend the Pilot Super Sports.

Pfft.

DisposableHero
06-07-13, 03:16 PM
some guys say 200$ tire and some say $400 wow

hankooks haven been good to me so far

thebigjimsho
06-07-13, 11:37 PM
They're excellent tires for the price. I'd still rather pay extra for PSSs...

mrkool
06-08-13, 01:20 AM
It is not like any one is making new tires for our cars so why not make this thread into a sticky.

JFJr
06-17-13, 02:54 PM
What are you guys paying for a set of Pilot Super Sports in stock sizes, mounted and balanced?

Jud

FSTCDY
06-17-13, 03:03 PM
Mine were $1200 out the door at Discount Tire. But I went wider than stock on front and back. Don't think the price difference is much if any.

garfin
06-17-13, 07:20 PM
Another vote here for the PSS - I think they may have saved our lives last night! We were coming home from a wedding around 11:00 pm and on the way north, we could see lots of electrical activity in the sky in the direction we were heading. Sure enough, got on the 404 northbound and got caught in a deluge around the Aurora/Newmarket area. No big deal, not too many cars on the road but I was passing everyone while only going about 90 KMH. Exited the 404 at the end and continued north on Woodbine (single lane each way with an 80 KMH limit). The rain had stopped and the roads didn't look wet. There was no spray. So I set the cruise at 90 KMH (big mistake) thinking it hadn't rained much in this neck of the woods and the roads were clear.
So I'm driving along with the cruise set at 90 KMH thinking this is safe, ('cuz it ain't raining) and all of a sudden I drive into the equivalent of a freakin' swimming pool!! Couldn't see it coming at all. The water was getting sprayed up over and above the front door windows! The car felt like it hit a brick wall, but even with the cruise on (which I'm embarrassed to admit now that I was using, even though it had stopped raining), THE CAR DIDN'T MISS A BEAT - JUST PLOWED THROUGH THE WATER WITH NO LOSS OF CONTROL OR VARIANCE IN DIRECTION!!
Now I've experienced many aquaplaning events over the years, none as challenging as this one, but none with this good a tire! I have no doubt that with my original PS2s (with not much tread left on them), I could have easily ended up in the ditch. Never have I experienced such an extreme amount of water, at that speed, with no fuss, no muss... and you gotta know that with the cruise on, that really makes matters worse!
So if this tire give a great account of itself on the track, and will also see you through mind-boggling aquaplaning situations when it's wet, the decision (for me anyway) is a no-brainer. I had it reinforced last night that paying a few extra bucks to have the greatest margin of safety available, is an investment to consider. I would not want to consider dealing with the alternative endings to this story and I am simply in awe of these tires after that experience last night.

Best regards,

Elie

mpouls1
06-17-13, 07:26 PM
ExtremeContact DW Continental. Can barely tell the difference between stock pilots and good price.

cruiser68
06-17-13, 07:44 PM
Just put a set of PSS on replacing PS2's. So far better traction.

Mr. LCP
06-17-13, 07:51 PM
ExtremeContact DW Continental. Can barely tell the difference between stock pilots and good price.

You just listed a drawback (can barely tell the difference between stock pilot sports) as a reason to buy them!

Club Malibu
06-17-13, 07:51 PM
Another vote here for the PSS - I think they may have saved our lives last night! ........................................... I would not want to consider dealing with the alternative endings to this story and I am simply in awe of these tires after that experience last night.

Best regards,

Elie

Years ago, I had a very similar experience in my Chevy Malibu a couple of weeks after I purchased new Bridgestone Potenzas. Cruise was set at 60 mph driving in 2 inch deep ruts in the road during a deluge. Car held on for about 2 miles of ruts. I had to be making at least 10 foot waves. The noise the water was making was crazy. One of the reasons I chose that tire was for its "rain racing F1 technology tread". I knew it was just a catchy marketing sales pitch but how else would you explain it.

So I'm with Elie, wet performance is what I look for. Getting the PSS's soon.

Thunder Gray STS
06-17-13, 08:16 PM

The car does drive different with the DW's. Good traction straight line, but carving corners does suffer.

JFJr
06-17-13, 08:51 PM
i'm getting the PSS's, too, but I would rather have the run-flat version since I travel a lot and don't track. I like the wet drive reviews since I live in "sunny" Florida. Nice to have a great tire for warmer climates. Maybe they will save me on a back road, too.

Jud

RapidRob
06-17-13, 10:07 PM
Another vote here for the PSS - I think they may have saved our lives last night!

Best regards,

Elie

Thanks for that report Elie - glad you all made it through that experience OK!

What sizes of the PSS's do you have installed?

Rob

garfin
06-17-13, 10:37 PM
Stock fronts (255s) and 295s on the back.
...and just in case... please do not drive in the rain or on wet roads with the cruise control on. Ask me how I know!
Stupid lapse in judgement on my part last night. I knew better, but had a brain fart. I think I definitely dodged a bullet, thanks to those tires!

Best regards,

Elie

Chrispy
06-18-13, 10:57 AM
I'm picking up 295 PSS when my stockers wear out. I'm at 10K km but still have lots of life left. I run the rears fairly low to help with traction. (30psi hot rear and 36psi hot front)

mpouls1
06-18-13, 12:57 PM
You just listed a drawback (can barely tell the difference between stock pilot sports) as a reason to buy them!

Price?

45LongColt
06-18-13, 03:24 PM
We should start a new thread on this, cause what I would like to see are photo differences of the looks of each tire, side shot and rear of tire pic so I can see if there are any differences between the stance and sidwall of each tire mounted and placed on the car. I have made the mistake in the past of purchasing different tires than stock, then hated the look of them once mounted on the car.

So before I select my next set of V tires, I'd like to see pictures of the tires on other folks V rides.

45LongColt

Josh2010
06-18-13, 05:14 PM
I just got Bridgestone potenza SO4s. I really like them, nice grip too.

lowerd96
06-18-13, 06:20 PM
I am happy with the SO4's as well. I'll snap some pics tonight.....

DavidPR
06-19-13, 05:07 PM
RE11's

spearfish25
06-19-13, 09:06 PM
RE-11s are a great track tire and did fine as a daily driver. Wet traction is good (not great) and dry is superior to the PS2. Can't compare to PSSs. They're noisy on the highway but steering feel and response is tops.