: cold morning part 2

SBONES
01-28-05, 10:03 AM
went to start car this morning, clutch and brake very squshy. clutch almost stuck to the floor, its warming up right now. Hope its nothing...taken her to get corsa put on, and bunch of other shit to. very cold, about 8 outside.

V-Max
01-28-05, 11:05 AM
I started mine with 4K miles with only a couple of degrees out. The clutch was very soft and felt very dampened when I released it a couple times in neutral. In normal driving I tend to shift below 2K RPMs but when it is this cold the engine needs to be reved to 2500-3000 RPMs in order to make the shift. The brakes were fine but I did notice after pulling out of the car wash the effects of wet brakes.... :)

Norm

dkozloski
01-28-05, 11:10 AM
Everything works pretty good until you get down to about -30F. The brakes get a little sluggish on releasing. Much colder and the ABS goes stupid. The engine doesn't require an idling period but it does help the clutch and power steering if you give your care a few minutes to wakeup before driving off.

Vrocks
01-28-05, 02:10 PM
Everything works pretty good until you get down to about -30F. The brakes get a little sluggish on releasing. Much colder and the ABS goes stupid. The engine doesn't require an idling period but it does help the clutch and power steering if you give your care a few minutes to wakeup before driving off.

How's the steering? My steering is very sluggish when the temperature goes below 32F, about a 62F difference. :D

dkozloski
01-28-05, 03:51 PM
The steering takes a little more effort until it warms up. Even at -40F it only takes a few miles before I can't tell the difference.

Sandyfoot-V
01-28-05, 04:01 PM
That’s why I live in Florida: everything works well at 72°.

Vrocks
01-28-05, 07:23 PM
Even at -40F...

-- Off topic

Do you need special tires for those temps? I've heard that rubber boots will crack under temperatures like that...

ahahnu
01-28-05, 09:45 PM
Anyone get like a wuuuur noise upon first start. It occurs immediately following the first time it kicks over.

V-Max
01-28-05, 10:04 PM
Yes, I have heard the whirl. Not sure what it is though.

Norm

dkozloski
01-28-05, 11:24 PM
The only problem with the tires at -40F is that they have a flat side where you have been sitting until you drive about 3/4 of a mile. It is like driving over the cobblestones.

Vrocks
01-29-05, 12:53 AM
Anyone get like a wuuuur noise upon first start. It occurs immediately following the first time it kicks over.

Yes. One time it lasted for about 5 seconds (sounds real nasty). So far it's the only "potential" problem with my V.

01-29-05, 07:51 AM
Yes. One time it lasted for about 5 seconds (sounds real nasty). So far it's the only "potential" problem with my V.

Does the whurr noise to which you are referrring sound like an electric motor under the car? It might be the electric fuel pump pressurizing the system and is normal. (it is located inside of the fuel tank on most cars these days, if I am not mistaken). You should be able to hear it as soon as you turn the key to "on", before you click it in to engage the starter. Should usually last a second or two. It also runs when the engine runs, but is usually masked by other noises.

if it is coming from the dash, it might be your DVD or CD player booting up......

dhg

V-Max
01-29-05, 09:50 AM
Were talking about startup when the tempatures are around 10-15F or lower.

Your right about the fuel pump, CD/DVD player, leveling shocks...

Norm

ahahnu
01-29-05, 10:02 AM
It happens after I start the car. Immediately. The noise comes from the engine compartment. I've only herd it like twice, and it only happens when I;m starting it when it has been sitting for w few hours (8 or more).One Jetta I had used to make the same noise, but louder and longer. I beat that car so I would understand why it might do that. This is my baby, everyone that I know understands that car is the reason for my existance. I treat her like gold.

SBONES
01-29-05, 11:06 AM
grunt noise is normale, fuel pump. Im talking about my clutch all but isnt there in the morning. Warm it up for 5 mins and its normale.

Vrocks
01-29-05, 02:32 PM
Were talking about startup when the tempatures are around 10-15F or lower.

Your right about the fuel pump, CD/DVD player, leveling shocks...

Norm

It happens after I start the car. Immediately. The noise comes from the engine compartment. I've only herd it like twice, and it only happens when I;m starting it when it has been sitting for w few hours (8 or more).One Jetta I had used to make the same noise, but louder and longer. I beat that car so I would understand why it might do that. This is my baby, everyone that I know understands that car is the reason for my existance. I treat her like gold.

That's exactly what I have.

It doesn't have the screeching sound of a slipping belt. It might be a pulley problem, some Corvette owners have had crank pulley issues. Even my C5 (LS1 not LS6) had an internal bearing problem with one of the pulleys.

Check this forum: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/index.php?

cts-v ls6
01-29-05, 03:32 PM
It's the Nav dvd spooling up. Remove the dvd and see if you still have the noise.

Vrocks
01-29-05, 06:22 PM
It's the Nav dvd spooling up. Remove the dvd and see if you still have the noise.

:histeric: You're kidding right? If it's the DVD player, you can hear it from 50ft away with the doors closed (it got my neighbors attention).

I'll still give it a try.

GNSCOTT
01-29-05, 11:15 PM
I have the sound too. goes away immediately. Sounds like a supercharger whine. For some reason I assumed it was the speedo cable. Don't ask me why.

Vetts NV
02-18-05, 04:49 PM
No Whurring noise for me... But I do have other cold weather issues....

Do you notice the gear shifter vibrating harshly between 25-35 mph when the transmission temp is aboutr 50-70 degrees....

Do the tires have almost no traction for at least 5 miles... Cause a lot of spinning and hop if you attempt to pull out hard when it is cold???

Have noticed the lagging clutch, but all hydralic clutches experience the same thing... My Honda, My First CTS with the Getrag, The V with the Tremac.... The clutch in my Jeep doesn't have this issue!

Vrocks
02-18-05, 11:50 PM
It's funny how this thread came back today, because my whirring / screeching noise has gone away. :confused:

wildwhl
02-19-05, 12:15 AM
My steering when cold? Like on ice. Takes almost zero effort and has little effect. Turn the wheel when 30 degrees out or less and first driving and it feel like I'm driving on ice.

The screeching from the DVD/CD player? That's a bit of VR (not virtual reality, Velvet Revolver to you) spooling up :sneaky: