: Ford Recalls 800,000 Pickups... SUV's

Playdrv4me
01-28-05, 12:43 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050127/ap_on_re_us/ford_recall_2

Rather scary... and Ford JUST got through settling several potential recalls recently. Im glad they are taking the approach of a proper recall... But IIRC, this is the SECOND time a faulty electric part in the engine has caused spontaneous vehicle fires for them.

slk230mb
01-28-05, 12:49 AM
Wow, close to a million units.

Freakx45
01-28-05, 12:50 AM
Woohoo....another recall by Ford again. I wonder why mine still runs??

Kev
01-28-05, 12:53 AM
I have to say that my experience with FOMOCO has been excellent in the area of recalls and tsb's. I have had three Ford vehichles in the past (still own two of them as you can see) and they have been very good about notifying us of any recalls. The repairs have been timely and they didn't try to 'trap' us into other questionable repairs. I'm not as concerned with the amount of recalls on my cars as I am impressed that Ford has stepped up and admitted their mistakes and is making them right. I think it all started with the Pinto gas tanks, no?

Kev

Playdrv4me
01-28-05, 01:05 AM
I think along the same lines you do... GM is under the Microscope of NHTSA and a few other agencies because of their lack of recognizing recalls when they should really be issued...OR taking too long to do so. Ford has always been pretty good about this, but unfortunately Ford's always seems to be some fatal flaw, and affecting MANY units (you may never have a problem with our Cars... but if you do... you'll die :p ). My brothers 96 Lincoln Continental (well my car really) was great right up to when I traded it in at 127000 miles.

Kev
01-28-05, 01:14 AM
It may be that I have just been extreemly fortunate with the individual Ford cars that I have owned (ie. my Mustang LX, 308k miles, no major repairs or failures, original clutch!) I tend to drive them until they are no longer worth repairing. Comes from my Grandfather (rip) who used everything to the bitter end. Or, the car is no longer needed or practical for me in which case I sell it. Long story longer, I really have nothing bad that I can say about the Fords I have owned. ;)

Kev

RBraczyk
01-28-05, 07:26 AM
Fixed Or Repaired Daily...Found On Road Dead...

MRFOX
01-28-05, 08:02 AM
Its funny to me(I'm in Houston) that everytime the news shows something about the Ford recall, the next break there is a F150 commercial....................HEH!

Kev
01-28-05, 12:06 PM
Fixed Or Repaired Daily...Found On Road Dead...
Huhhhhh... So old....so tired.
Sounds like another jealous Chevy owner to me, heh heh. I hear them whine and it just makes me sooo tired. :rolleyes2

Kev

RBraczyk
01-28-05, 12:27 PM
Not my fault my chevy has never broken down on me. 285k and the tranny still limped me to the shop when it needed to be replaced...

Kev
01-28-05, 12:37 PM
Not my fault my chevy has never broken down on me. 285k and the tranny still limped me to the shop when it needed to be replaced...
'88 Mustang LX 5.0 HO, 308k+ miles, no major breakdowns, only major repair was head gaskets at 225k miles, at that time there was no ridge and honing marks still visible, have never replaced the clutch (yes, it is original), my 17 year old daughter is driving it now and (miraculously) the clutch has not given out yet. (Whew.. take a breath Kev....) And it still gets out of it's own way! So there!:nyanya:
My dad can beat up your dad! My dog is bigger than your dog!
Neener neener neeners!!!! lol

Kev

majax
01-28-05, 09:12 PM
Some guy from Ford was on the news today and said something to the like of "car(mainly ford IMO) companys try and spend money first(before the car is sold) and how there is cost cutting on parts and things" Well Ford did not spend money in this case to save money, he lied.

That is so stupid that they cut costs! Oh, that helps make a better product:yup:

If your Mustang was a Tuarus it'd been gone a long time ago ;) neeneer neeener neener:histeric: jk

Kev
01-28-05, 09:48 PM
If your Mustang was a Tuarus it'd been gone a long time ago ;) neeneer neeener neener:histeric: jk
True, my '89 Merc Sable, 3.8L only made it to 150+k :(

Kev

majax
01-28-05, 10:08 PM
Hows the Aerostar holding up? All I know is that the Windstars were really unreliable.

RBraczyk
01-28-05, 10:22 PM
'88 Mustang LX 5.0 HO, 308k+ miles, no major breakdowns, only major repair was head gaskets at 225k miles, at that time there was no ridge and honing marks still visible, have never replaced the clutch (yes, it is original), my 17 year old daughter is driving it now and (miraculously) the clutch has not given out yet. (Whew.. take a breath Kev....) And it still gets out of it's own way! So there!:nyanya:
My dad can beat up your dad! My dog is bigger than your dog!
Neener neener neeners!!!! lol

Kev

Mines automatic so I don't see your point :hmm: No major engine work, not even water pump so uh, still think I'm the winner.

Kev
01-28-05, 11:56 PM
Mines automatic so I don't see your point :hmm: No major engine work, not even water pump so uh, still think I'm the winner.
OK, you win.

Kev

Msilva954
01-29-05, 01:11 AM
So where is the headline showing Honda CRV's spontaneously catching fire???? they are everywhere....or the THOUSANDS of Honda crap 4spds?

A domestic makes a recall and automatically its frontpage news.?? figures...

majax
01-29-05, 01:23 AM
Well in Hondas case it was only when the cars were brand new so I heard. Also only like 4 had caught fire. Ford got on the news because they are natorious for killing people with their oopsies. Still you're most what right. Any American manufacturer gets it harder fromt the press than an import.

turbojimmy
01-29-05, 07:56 AM
I loved my '88 Mustang GT convertible. It was the first time my entire extended family ever owned a Ford. Man did I get picked on, but it was a great reliable car. Until the alternator caused an underhood fire......

Later I bought a new Explorer, it was recalled a couple of times for some minor things (brake hose, fuel level sender).

I bought a 2004 Toyota Sienna last year, which rates REALLY high in initial quality. Smelled like antifreeze from day one. I couldn't see the leak, and the fluid wasn't dropping so it wasn't a priority (it pissed me off though). Before long I got a postcard saying that they're recalling it for a radiator replacement. Bingo. Not too much time went by before I got a postcard for a power steering line replacement. Evidently they pop off when it gets cold. I had both taken care of a few weeks ago. They forgot to tighten down the fasteners on the inner fender on the right side so it was flopping around.

In a nutshell, my experience with GM, Ford and Toyota has been basically the same. Dealers try to rip you off and are sloppy, a couple of recalls here and there.

Jim

RBraczyk
01-29-05, 10:18 PM
OK, you win.

Kev

Just bustin your balls. Congrats on a high mileage ford, its uncommon. :D