: GM Retiree. Cadillac Lover! New to the Cadillac Owners.com. Clunking problem in RR.

teejcee44
06-05-13, 12:35 PM
I have owned almost every make of GM vehicles, but am converted to Cadillac many times over, when I bought my first 03 CTS. Today I own an 09 CTS4 that is luxurious and fun to drive. I had a problem with handling on left turns at high speed on highway driving that was "driving" me crazy. I first thought it was a tire problem, since the problem became quite noticeable when I installed a new set of Michelin tires. After two times returning the vehicle to the tire shop that installed the tires. I went online (Alldata Pro) to look at TSB's, and found an article on this very thing. It was a safety recall which included a "clunking" noise in the rear, where a tie rod may work loose, and cause unsafe handling, which described exactly what I was experiencing. Turns out that the safety recall had already been done, but I finally took the vehicle to a Cadillac dealer in Batesville, AR, and they fixed the handling problem, but I still have a clunking in the right rear of the vehicle. Anybody have suggestions?

Ranger
06-05-13, 04:11 PM
:welcome: :moved:

tinman
06-05-13, 04:51 PM
Initially I would crawl under the car and start grabbing what I could. Do a visual then shake it to see if anything is loose. Maybe you will hear something. Maybe a strut?

MrHolland
06-05-13, 08:03 PM
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people and info in here. Enjoy your stay!!!

Z71
06-06-13, 08:25 AM
Could be the rear limited slip differential, change the fluid as the oem fluid is low quality as referenced by the bulletin.

#10-04-20-001B: Rear Axle Clunk and/or ChatterType Noise on Turns (Drain/Refill Rear Differential Fluid) - (Apr 21, 2010)
Subject: Rear Axle Clunk and/or Chatter Type Noise on Turns (Drain/Refill RearDifferential Fluid)

Models: 2003-2010 Cadillac CTS,Sport Wagon (Including V-Series and Export)
2004-2009 Cadillac SRX (Including Export)
2005-2010 Cadillac STS (IncludingV-Series and Export)
Equipped with Limited Slip Differential (RPO G80)

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk and/or chatter type noise from the rear of the vehicle while making turns.

This condition may be worse on vehicles built prior to the 2008 model year. Carbon-faced clutch plates were introduced into production in the 2008 model year and have decreased the likelihood of the clutch plate chatter.

Cause
This condition may be caused by slip/stick of the posi-traction clutch platesdue to insufficient limited-slip axle additive. As plates slip and stick, ajumping or jerking feel occurs accompanied by a clunk noise.

Correction
Important: DO NOT remove the differential cover. It is not necessary to flush the old fluid from the differential.

Drain and refill the rear differential with fluid, GM P/N 88862624 (in Canada,88862625). Refer to the Axle Lubricant Change procedure in SI.

This fluid includes a friction modifier already added with a different formulation that lasts longer and does not break down over time.

Without Differential Oil Cooler
1.10 L
1.16 qt

With Differential Oil Cooler
1.41 L
1.50 qt

Parts Information
Part Number

88862624 (US-1 qt)
88862625 (Canada- 1 L)
DEXRONŽ LS Gear Oil

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-06-13, 11:50 AM
I have owned almost every make of GM vehicles, but am converted to Cadillac many times over, when I bought my first 03 CTS. Today I own an 09 CTS4 that is luxurious and fun to drive. I had a problem with handling on left turns at high speed on highway driving that was "driving" me crazy. I first thought it was a tire problem, since the problem became quite noticeable when I installed a new set of Michelin tires. After two times returning the vehicle to the tire shop that installed the tires. I went online (Alldata Pro) to look at TSB's, and found an article on this very thing. It was a safety recall which included a "clunking" noise in the rear, where a tie rod may work loose, and cause unsafe handling, which described exactly what I was experiencing. Turns out that the safety recall had already been done, but I finally took the vehicle to a Cadillac dealer in Batesville, AR, and they fixed the handling problem, but I still have a clunking in the right rear of the vehicle. Anybody have suggestions?

Hello teejcee44,

Welcome to the forum! This is a great way to interact with other Cadillac owners and lovers and get great insight. I am here to help monitor the sites and be a liaison between the customer and dealer. I also help answer any questions to the best of my ability, or get in contact with those that can further assist a customer. I can be reached via private message or at socialmedia@gm.com "ATTN LAURA" if there are any concerns or issues you would like to discuss further.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service