: The Chevy SS Gets Cooled Seats But Not The ATS?.. Fail!

bungee91
06-05-13, 10:28 AM
I just read the pricing and release specs for the Chevy SS and it clearly listed heated and cooled seats.
So what gives GM?.. At least giving us an option in a "luxury" brand would be nice.

bruff1977
06-05-13, 10:54 AM
They better be at least an option on the ATS-V.

ddawson
06-05-13, 11:14 AM
Once you've had ventilated cool seats, it's hard to do without them.

huna
06-05-13, 12:18 PM
I agree - once you have them, hard to go back. Had them on my CTS.

gfxbt
06-05-13, 12:54 PM
I live in the north, yet still, I have to say ventilated seats are amazing. Heated seats are nice, but ventilated is even better (plus usually you get the combo anyway).

AtlantaGuy00
06-05-13, 04:45 PM
My DTS has cooled seats (as in cooled by the A/C) but I'd prefer ventilated with a fan. I agree that they are leaving off things from the Cadillacs that shouldn't be. I'm disappointed. Why did I pay a premium to get the wreath and crest?

bungee91
06-05-13, 05:04 PM
I agree that they are leaving off things from the Cadillacs that shouldn't be. I'm disappointed. Why did I pay a premium to get the wreath and crest?

I'm really questioning the same thing, if it's a Cadillac it should get amenities Chevy's don't, end of story.
It's bad enough Chevy's Mylink has more functionality than CUE also.

pissedoffwookiee
06-05-13, 05:22 PM
My DTS has cooled seats (as in cooled by the A/C) but I'd prefer ventilated with a fan. I agree that they are leaving off things from the Cadillacs that shouldn't be. I'm disappointed. Why did I pay a premium to get the wreath and crest?

I'm starting to think because we're gullible, look what KIA can do for $40k

http://reviews.cnet.com/suv/2014-kia-sorento/4505-10868_7-35779305.html

The second big surprise from the Sorento came when I got in and pushed an odd little button on the steering wheel. With the button's steering wheel icon, I thought it might be a heater, but instead it launched a screen in the virtual speedometer showing the tuning of the Sorento's steering gear. Pushing the button repeatedly, I could toggle through Comfort, Normal, and Sport.

Here's to wishing/hoping Cadillac can/will add things like this to CUE and or App store for us early adopters

----------

I'm really questioning the same thing, if it's a Cadillac it should get amenities Chevy's don't, end of story.
It's bad enough Chevy's Mylink has more functionality than CUE also.

Agreed, taking this further, GMC's new intellilink IS CUE or probably CUE 2.0 improved over what we have.

AtlantaGuy00
06-05-13, 05:42 PM
I wonder how much I can get for a used low mileage Cadillac ATS for a Chevy Impala SS?

pissedoffwookiee
06-05-13, 06:35 PM
I wonder how much I can get for a used low mileage Cadillac ATS for a Chevy Impala SS?

hopefully Cadillac is seeing this, it seems to me the lofty mission of being "The New Standard of the World" is going to falter if they keep kicking us in the groin like this and not expect us to react to the pain and go buy the BMW we should have in the first place

73JPS
06-05-13, 06:49 PM
Erm... I'm finding this thread a bit of an embarrassment. I think if Cadillac is seeing this, they are likely thinking "I wish these guys hadn't bought our car in the first place". More to the point, some of the complaints seem quite valid, but the tone is unnecessarily... caustic.

There may be engineering reasons (I am thinking mostly weight, now) why Cadillac omitted ventilated seats; perhaps there are marketing reasons (they plan to introduce them in a later model year). I don't really know, and i would love to have 'em, but I knew I wasn't gettin' em when I bought the car, and the fact that a Chevy does have them doesn't lessen my enjoyment of this car.

pissedoffwookiee
06-05-13, 08:27 PM
Erm... I'm finding this thread a bit of an embarrassment. I think if Cadillac is seeing this, they are likely thinking "I wish these guys hadn't bought our car in the first place". More to the point, some of the complaints seem quite valid, but the tone is unnecessarily... caustic.

There may be engineering reasons (I am thinking mostly weight, now) why Cadillac omitted ventilated seats; perhaps there are marketing reasons (they plan to introduce them in a later model year). I don't really know, and i would love to have 'em, but I knew I wasn't gettin' em when I bought the car, and the fact that a Chevy does have them doesn't lessen my enjoyment of this car.

there is truth to this, it's true (at least i was told by a Cadillac rep) weight is the reason they left cooled seats off this car, the seats would have to have been bigger and heavier to accommodate the fans and/or ducting, another thing they skipped was the new cap less fuel filler introduced with the XTS, because the simple traditional way was lighter.

on the other hand, electronic programming wizardry, like the KIA adjustable steering or the tuneable vehicle dynamics 'a la BMW' or a CUE system that works, weights 'next to' nothing and would increase enthusiast owners satisfaction with the cars, since this is who the car is targeted at.
I say next to nothing since it has been reported that the electricity on the internet weighs about as much as a strawberry, and the data on the internet weighs about as much as a grain of sand, i think the weight of the electronic programming wizardry contained within our cars is something Cadillac can add without missing a weight target. :D

You do have a valid point:bouncy:

rustybear3
06-05-13, 10:42 PM

Really want to compare a Chevy to a Cadillac over worthless and over hyped gimmick such as seat cooling? Had it on my STS...felt creepy and was really ineffective compare to just letting the air conditioning doing it's job. Cooled seats in NO WAY COMPARES to the heated seats....you can keep them for all I care...

CTSCHICK
06-06-13, 02:10 AM
I guess you guys dont want to hear about GM giving all GM 2014 vehicles from here on out free smart phone remote key fob link for 5 years free of charge after making all of us pay $20 a month for Onstar to get it and use it. lol

After having 3 ATS loaners I didnt miss the cooled seats that my CTS has because I didnt use them anyways, remote start would have been nice in the loaners so I could cool down the car prior to getting in though.
I did notice the seat Material in ATS seems to react to the sun and heat different than the CTS the ATS seats seem to get hotter and sticky

rustybear3
06-06-13, 09:05 AM
After having 3 ATS loaners I didnt miss the cooled seats that my CTS has because I didnt use them anyways, remote start would have been nice in the loaners so I could cool down the car prior to getting in though.
I did notice the seat Material in ATS seems to react to the sun and heat different than the CTS the ATS seats seem to get hotter and sticky

That's because they gave you a Base model without adaptive remote start or leather seats....all the other models have those options; and trust me the leather seats aren't nearly as hot as those Base vinyl...IMHO coming from the STS to ATS, I find the interior to be somewhat cooler in the ATS; of course a lot depends on whether you have light interior colors or dark....agree with you, in that I don't miss that gimmicky seat cooler one bit!

bungee91
06-06-13, 10:21 AM
It's a Cadillac it should be an option (meaning if you don't want it, don't buy it. For others like me we'd opt for it) end of story.

David
06-06-13, 10:57 AM

Good comment; I agree. Yes, I miss my ventilated seats in my past two CTS vehicles; but still love the ATS for many reasons.

gohawks63
06-06-13, 11:42 AM
Once you've had ventilated cool seats, it's hard to do without them.

I don't know if I feel that strongly about them, but I do like them as I have them on my CTS coupe. They do come in handy considering I have a black diamond coupe with ebony interior. Having said that, they are ventilated as opposed to cooled. Difference is that it is just a fan that draws heat from the seat cushion as opposed to a system that is actually directing freshly air conditioned air to the seat.

My experience is that it is a very subtle cooling. In other words when I get into a hot car you can obviously feel the hot seat against your backside and back. With the ventilation on it will gradually feel less hot as opposed to cold. You know it's working because the air conditioning is not going to get the in between where your butt is contacting the seat. I also have experimented by not turning on the ventilation and you will notice a difference. Since it is so subtle, it seems worthless that there are three separate fan settings. I don't think you would notice anything below the highest setting.

I have noticed that if I adjust the rear vent setting for the rear seat to split the air flow between floor and up, or turn the setting to completely floor, you will notice more of a cooling effect. My guess is that with more cold air near the foot wells, that cooler air near the seat fan helps with the cooling.

I doubt that I would make a purchasing decision on whether they have them or not. My wife's 2011 BMW X5 that had a $64K MSRP does not have cooled seats and I really don't miss them when I am driving her car. That may be because that vehicle is white with an Oyster (kinda like a cream color) interior. With that MSRP you would have expected that car to have cooled seats.

Stevo Supremo
06-06-13, 12:32 PM
lol yeah the new Impala has ventilated seats as well haha! something I wish I had? well if it were standard sure, but its not something I want so bad I'd pay for lol

rustybear3
06-06-13, 02:26 PM
If Cadillac devised a truly air conditioned seat; fine I'd be interested.....but a lousy reverse fan in a ventilated seat? As others have pointed out....and myself as well...not much to get excited about. Hopefully Cadillac will come out with a REAL air cooled seat in the future. These cars deserve it!

PAO56
06-06-13, 05:36 PM
I used the cool vent seats in my 09 CTS all the time..but then again..it was the top model at the time with all the bells and whistles.....my ATS is the simple 2.5L base model.....so knew I didnt have anything on it.......do wish I had them in our 12 SRX Performance trim..but didnt want to up the price to the Prem trim to get it.......

thebigjimsho
06-11-13, 05:52 PM
hopefully Cadillac is seeing this, it seems to me the lofty mission of being "The New Standard of the World" is going to falter if they keep kicking us in the groin like this and not expect us to react to the pain and go buy the BMW we should have in the first place

Oh, that's right. Because you can get cooled seats in a 3 series...

M5eater
06-12-13, 09:34 AM
I just read the pricing and release specs for the Chevy SS and it clearly listed heated and cooled seats.
So what gives GM?.. At least giving us an option in a "luxury" brand would be nice.
A) The SS isn't a chevrolet, it's a rebadged Holden Commodore from Australia, and in such market, it's the halo car for the brand. That's why it also has park assist, adaptive CC and all the other goodies.
B) The SS is a $44K car, with 0 options (besides a sunroof) So it damn well better be fully loaded
C) To my knowledge, no other compact sedan has cooled seats as an option. Including 70-80K M3's, RS4's(which isn't stateside, but in europe is more like 90-100K) and C63 AMG's.

Agreed, taking this further, GMC's new intellilink IS CUE or probably CUE 2.0 improved over what we have.
CUE is fully modular and expandable, but yes. As with any other technology in existance, a constantly improving nature is ever present.

Did you really believe CUE was going to simply be a Cadillac Staple and not diverge into Chevrolet? They likely have tens of millions invested into the system. Frankly I think it's a great thing pushing it to Chevrolet products. That means that the SDK developers package they're about to make free might acutally get used and we can get some cool apps for both systems.